GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Dear Expert  (Read 151505 times)

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Re: Dear Expert
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2010, 01:38:53 PM »
It's not just Norse per se, but a broader Germanic mythology. In Old English the form was something like Wodin, but in Norse it was Odin.

As for why it's not pronounced like it's spelled, I believe it's because spelling was more or less standardized with the advent of printing, but pronunciation continued to change. Common words are especially prone to changes in pronunciation. The second syllable in Wednesday is unstressed, so it's easy to delete the vowel and turn the n into a syllabic consonant. Once that happened, there was a large cluster of consonants all pronounced with the tip of the tongue against the back of the teeth or the bony ridge just behind them, and when consonants cluster like that, some of them tend to get deleted. Strictly speaking, it's not a whole syllable that got deleted, but the end of the first syllable and the middle of the second.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2010, 01:50:35 PM »
Jon Boy: Wasn't it Norse first before it spread through the Germanic peoples?
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2010, 02:06:01 PM »
I'm saying that the Norse are part of the Germanic peoples. Norse mythology is part of Germanic mythology, which actually traces back to Proto-Indo-European mythology along with Greek and Roman and all those others.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 20, 2010, 07:14:36 AM »
I'm saying that the Norse are part of the Germanic peoples. Norse mythology is part of Germanic mythology, which actually traces back to Proto-Indo-European mythology along with Greek and Roman and all those others.
Didn't see this, thanks for clarifying.

----

As an aside sometimes when I write out titles in quotation marks I know there are certain words that you do not capitalize.  I'm fairly confident "the" and "or" shouldn't be, but is there a universally accepted rule of thumb for this?  Also, did you ever figured out where the phrase, "Losing money hand over fist originated?"

Just giving you something to do all day. ;)
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 20, 2010, 07:33:26 AM »
"Hand over fist" is an image that any Boy Scout should recognize. :P ;)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: October 20, 2010, 07:43:17 AM »
There you go rivka with those sweeping hyperbolic statements.  Clearly not *every* scout recognizes that image.

Kinda disappointed I don't know what image rivka is indicating.  I am also questioning my scouting credentials.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 20, 2010, 07:50:51 AM »
*bewildered* Isn't rope climbing a required Scouting skill?

(And yes, the sweeping hyperbole was just for you. :D)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2010, 07:56:13 AM »
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2010, 08:01:46 AM »
Oh I see.  But I don't think that image exactly explains why you can lose money hand over fist.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 20, 2010, 10:14:38 AM »
"Hand over fist" = really fast

Applying it to money is not a unique use of the phrase, although it is fairly common. I suspect because it includes the image of someone desperately grasping as the money slips away.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #160 on: October 20, 2010, 10:58:32 AM »
As an aside sometimes when I write out titles in quotation marks I know there are certain words that you do not capitalize.  I'm fairly confident "the" and "or" shouldn't be, but is there a universally accepted rule of thumb for this?  Also, did you ever figured out where the phrase, "Losing money hand over fist originated?"

Just giving you something to do all day. ;)

The general rule is to lowercase articles (the, a, an), coordinating conjunctions (and, or, but, yet, so, for, nor), and prepositions, except that you always capitalize the first and last words in the title, regardless of their part of speech.

And it appears that "hand over first" does have origins in hauling rope.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: October 20, 2010, 11:31:09 AM »
Thanks rivka/Jon Boy.

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: October 20, 2010, 05:19:25 PM »
What I want to know is, what does it hurt having two different words for the same thing (assuming, of course, that they are exactly the same)?

It makes Porter twitch.
Um, no.  I was agreeing that we don't need superfluous words, but was gently mocking the idea that they're bad.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 20, 2010, 05:25:27 PM »
Huh? Haven't you repeatedly objected to "superfluous" words that "mean the same thing"?
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2010, 05:45:54 PM »
As a general rule, I've got no problems with it.  Having purchase and buy in the same language is perfectly OK with me.

What I sometimes object to when there are two words with useful differences between them which are merged into the same meaning.   Somebody told me yesterday that they thought they have "discerning taste" in music.  Because of the context, I asked if they really meant "discriminating taste".  This person was not able to tell me, because to them, the two words meant exactly the same thing.

Some more example (of similar word pairs, not necessarily of ones that I personally care about) are imply/infer and comprise/compose.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 20, 2010, 05:50:56 PM »
In that case, I completely (and emphatically) agree!
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 20, 2010, 05:51:45 PM »
*high five*
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2010, 07:04:31 AM »
OK, I hear about this more and more: "Islamist".  Mostly, it seems to me that "Islamist" is a scary way to say "Muslim".  The way I hear it, someone will label a scary boogeyman an "Islamist", like that in itself is supposed to scare me.  Does "Islamist" mean something different than "Muslim"?  I know plenty of Muslims, but I'm not sure that I know any "Islamists", at least no one I would call "Islamist" and, I suspect, no one who would call him or herself one either.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »
Personally, I think it's a way to imply that all Muslims are terrorists or some such.

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2010, 09:22:51 AM »
How does it imply that?
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #170 on: October 25, 2010, 09:26:58 AM »
Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But -ist is often used with extreme or negative connotations, I think.

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 25, 2010, 09:34:05 AM »
There is a word in French, Islamiste, that specifically means someone who practices Islam as a political agenda. (And I'm assuming that's where English got it or vice versa.) So, while a Muslim is someone who follows Islam as a religion, an Islamist is someone who makes Islam their politics. (hence the "-ist," because they're making it an "-ism") I think it's a perfectly legitimate word.

Also, isms in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an ism - he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon: "I don't believe in Beatles - I just believe in me". A good point there. Of course, he was the Walrus. I could be the Walrus - I'd still have to bum rides off of people.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 25, 2010, 09:45:10 AM »
*shields eyes from camera while washing myself*
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #173 on: October 25, 2010, 09:47:58 AM »
 :huh:

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 25, 2010, 10:24:31 AM »
Okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But -ist is often used with extreme or negative connotations, I think.
Sounds like you have a extremist POV towards -ist.  What is it with all these leftist revisionists?