GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Funny English and Linguistics stuff...  (Read 203994 times)

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Funny English and Linguistics stuff...
« Reply #350 on: June 29, 2011, 02:52:19 PM »
Is Cicero really pronounced with a K sound not an S?

In Classical Latin, yes. C and g always represented "hard" consonants. In Vulgar Latin (the immediate ancestor of the Romance languages) these palatalized before front vowels to produce the "soft" c and g that we're familiar with.
Ick! On the one hand I've been hearing the name wrong in my head for years, I don't think I've had occasion to use it. On the other hand Kickero? That sounds dreadful, Sissero sounds nice.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #351 on: June 29, 2011, 02:54:48 PM »
What do you mean, you've been hearing it wrong? Unless you're studying Classical Latin, the anglicized pronunciation, which is based on the Vulgar Latin one, is the "right" one. Same with other Latin names and words. In Classical Latin, Cæsar was pronounced much like the modern German Kaiser, which is based on the Classical form and preserves its pronunciation (though it modifies it to fit German spelling), and when he came, saw, and conquered, he pronounced it like "Weni, widi, wiki."
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 29, 2011, 04:03:10 PM »
What do you mean, you've been hearing it wrong? Unless you're studying Classical Latin, the anglicized pronunciation, which is based on the Vulgar Latin one, is the "right" one. Same with other Latin names and words. In Classical Latin, Cæsar was pronounced much like the modern German Kaiser, which is based on the Classical form and preserves its pronunciation (though it modifies it to fit German spelling), and when he came, saw, and conquered, he pronounced it like "Weni, widi, wiki."
I'm conflicted a little bit. On the one hand when a word is clearly part of another language I like to use their pronounciation. Iraq with an "awe" sound not an "a" (as in apple) sound. I know next to nothing about Classical Latin and Vulgar Latin, so I'm still forming opinions on the matter now that you have brought that distinction to my attention.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Marianne Dashwood

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 29, 2011, 04:14:10 PM »
I'm conflicted a little bit. On the one hand when a word is clearly part of another language I like to use their pronounciation. Iraq with an "awe" sound not an "a" (as in apple) sound. I know next to nothing about Classical Latin and Vulgar Latin, so I'm still forming opinions on the matter now that you have brought that distinction to my attention.

Well, you can't pronounce everything the way native speakers pronounce it or English speakers wouldn't understand you. How do you pronounce Confucius?
Occam must be shaving in his grave.
-Pooka

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #354 on: June 29, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »
I think that's a good guideline: pronounce things in a way that's most widely acceptable to the speakers you're talking to. Sometimes the acceptability of certain pronunciation changes (for example, EYE-talian and AY-rab are pretty unacceptable nowadays), but the form closest to the original is not always the best.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 29, 2011, 04:25:45 PM »

Well, you can't pronounce everything the way native speakers pronounce it or English speakers wouldn't understand you. How do you pronounce Confucius?
Kong Zi? ;)

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 29, 2011, 04:35:00 PM »
Ah, but Kong Zi himself didn't speak modern Mandarin. Also, in Dalu they call him Fu Zi.
-Pooka

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 29, 2011, 04:40:39 PM »
Ah, but Kong Zi himself didn't speak modern Mandarin. Also, in Dalu they call him Fu Zi.
Well they are idiots in Dalu. Oh man I went there!

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: June 29, 2011, 11:21:08 PM »
1.3 billion people can't be wrong …
-Pooka

Offline Neutros the Radioactive Dragon

• Radiant Reptile
  • Dragons
    • View Profile
    • scatterfilter
« Reply #359 on: June 30, 2011, 06:01:57 AM »
Well, they can be wrong. I just wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of their ire if I was the one to point out that they were. :angst:

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: June 30, 2011, 06:18:38 AM »
1.3 billion people can't be wrong …
Pretty certain all approximately 6 billion human being wandering about today can be wrong simultaneously.

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: June 30, 2011, 07:50:30 AM »
I have serious doubts that 1.3 billion people can be right about anything.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Neutros the Radioactive Dragon

• Radiant Reptile
  • Dragons
    • View Profile
    • scatterfilter
« Reply #362 on: July 01, 2011, 06:06:18 AM »
I have serious doubts that 1.3 billion people can be right about anything.

This.

• View Profile
« Reply #363 on: July 01, 2011, 07:56:53 AM »
Food. They're right about food.
-Pooka

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: July 01, 2011, 08:03:52 AM »
Because when given the choice, we almost always choose the best food for our needs.  :p
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #365 on: July 01, 2011, 09:12:48 AM »
More like, when given the choice, we almost always choose food over not food.

• View Profile
« Reply #366 on: July 01, 2011, 09:30:48 AM »
No, see, it's that they eat Chinese food every day. What better choice could there be?
-Pooka

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: July 01, 2011, 09:31:20 AM »
More like, when given the choice, we almost always choose food over not food.
Did any of you see that church video where a man's car breaks down, he wanders off into a ghost town, sees a pump that doesn't work, and then reads instructions that he needs to "just prime the pump" with a bottle of water hidden nearby. He is tempted by the water readily available, rather than the promise of endless water from the pump all while the voice keeps saying over and over more and more menacingly, "just prime the pump!". It ends with him collapsing from exhaustion soon after, and the camera shows an empty bottle which clues us in as to his decision, and finally they show a few drops dripping from the pump.

It was really creepy.

• View Profile
« Reply #368 on: July 01, 2011, 11:40:55 AM »
My favorite is the one about the rattlesnake and the Indian boy. Once my friend told me I was weird and I told her "You knew what I was when you picked me up."
-Pooka

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: July 01, 2011, 12:06:19 PM »
My favorite is the one about the rattlesnake and the Indian boy. Once my friend told me I was weird and I told her "You knew what I was when you picked me up."
Ha! I try to drop that line every other year or so, when in the company of Mormons.

• View Profile
« Reply #370 on: July 01, 2011, 01:07:41 PM »
I always thought it would be funny to use on a date.
-Pooka

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: July 01, 2011, 01:09:01 PM »
I always thought it would be funny to use on a date.
And you still can! >: )

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: July 01, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »
Is this like the story of the fox and the scorpion?
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: July 01, 2011, 04:23:37 PM »
Is this like the story of the fox and the scorpion?
I've never heard the one about the fox and scorpion.

In short, a boy climbing on a mountain finds a snake he knows to be poisonous. The snake asks the boy to please place him in his shirt and carry him down the mountain or else he would die in the cold. The boy complies, and as he reaches the warmer lower altitude and takes the snake out of his shirt, the snake bites him.  The boy in shock says to the snake, "Why did you do that, I just saved your life!" and the snake replies, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

Similar fable?

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: July 01, 2011, 04:25:26 PM »
Rivka: It appears to be the same moral.
The Scorpion and the Frog. A common variation has a fox.