GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: I hate journalistic writing  (Read 95337 times)

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: I hate journalistic writing
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2010, 10:39:01 AM »
I don't think I was implying that you could or should have.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 10, 2010, 09:48:51 PM »
A lot of the stress people go through on the holidays has to do with in laws, and trying to make an appearance for both families on each special day.  The main one that has been an issue for us is New Year's Eve.  My husband doesn't think my family really does anything special, and I think his family overprograms it. 
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 11, 2010, 06:35:48 AM »
pooka: What does/has your family do/done traditionally?

-----------

My MIL has suddenly made a very big deal out of becoming friends with my mother.  My mother is flying in this coming Sunday and my MIL absolutely must spend an evening with her this next week and become friends.

Of course I am all about friendships, and my mom is a very charismatic person.  Seems strange, as my MIL hasn't made a big deal out of making friends with her other nine kid's in-laws.  She has also indicated in the past that she very much dislikes my mother's personality (my mom knows this).  Of course, that might have been a function of her dealing with abandonment issues and Tiffany gets along with my family famously, so she perhaps mistook that for hating her own family.

Anyway, I'll ask my mother about it, but I don't really like asking her to do something like this as it's kinda awkward, how do you say no without coming across as a snob?  When I try to compare my grandparents from both sides, they never really knew each other, I don't think I know any families where both mothers in-law are good friends.  I'm sure it happens, but it's certainly not an expected relationship.

I guess it doesn't really matter to me, I get along with my MIL just fine, I guess I just don't enjoy throwing this on my mom during the short two weeks or so she will be here.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 11, 2010, 06:55:58 AM »
That is definitely weird. I think passive-aggressive me would just book up her time with you so that your mom simply doesn't have a spare moment to spend with your MIL, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 08:15:35 AM by Brinestone »
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 11, 2010, 07:11:43 AM »
My family just plays games until midnight, then does the pop balloons and drink Martinelli's, then go to bed.  They might have some snacks and hors d'oeuvres, but there's nothing traditional about it.

My husband's family has a buffet, though I've never had the supposed traditional foods of oysters and kippered herring.  I do always enjoy the cocktail shrimp, though the enjoyment was a little less during the years my children were young and I was supposed to make sure they didn't take too much or make a mess.  Then there is a talent show, which has been causing some bad feelings the last few years because it is an event that tends to really emphasize the different parenting techniques as the family grows.  And it's boring.  It also uses up all the time for just hanging out and playing games, forget about watching movies and picking a movie is a pain in the butt now that the family is so big, with a lot of grandchildren and a matriarch who refuses to watch anything animated.  She maintains this set in stone opinion that anything animated is drivel from the 70's when slackers were the target audience and all animation was drivel.  But, yeah.  They do have better food at my in laws.  Oh, they've also tried to institute a wacky wardrobe item contest in recent years which my husband doesn't enjoy. 

But I remembered the real reason we don't go to my family is because Provo is a lot further drive and we try not to be on the roads New Year's eve too much and there isn't room to stay over. 
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 11, 2010, 07:18:24 AM »
Wow. I've spent most of my holidays in recent years in rooms by myself so this all sounds so odd to me.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 11, 2010, 07:21:38 AM »
Brinestone: I tend to do that just be default, I love my parents to death.  But I can't help feeling like if my mom does try to politely say no, that her mom will end up festering about it for who knows how long?

----

pooka: That sounds decidedly not fun.  I'm sure in a few years I'll have a chance to put my money where my mouth is, but I've always felt like new traditions shouldn't be invented in the hopes they will just stick.  Some traditions catch on my accident, but there are plenty that live on because they were carefully considered and designed.  Not necessarily complex, even simple things can become wonderful traditions, but carefully considered.  Also, I'm also starting to get the feeling that with grand parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, cousin's spouses, grandkids all attending the same functions, there just isn't room enough, but is that a good thing to be feeling?
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 11, 2010, 07:43:38 AM »
Wow. I've spent most of my holidays in recent years in rooms by myself so this all sounds so odd to me.
Well, everthing has it's price.  I love having family, but I'm contemplating buying 33 Christmas presents now, that's if my husband doesn't ask for my help with the children's presents which I really have to expect so that's 36.  Oh, I guess I can subtract 5 as my children don't buy presents for themselves.

I've found that when grandparents die, the cousins (generally adult cousins) don't spend holidays together so much, or you trade off what holidays you spend where. 

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 11, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
My family has lots of Christmas traditions for the days leading up to the big day, whereas Jonathon's mostly keeps it low-key. I tend to LOVE all the traditions and stuff to do: we go watch The Nutcracker ballet in the city, we pick out a real Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving, we decorate cookies, we sleep "under" the Christmas tree on the night of the 23rd (just in the same room, in sleeping bags), we put on the Nativity play on Christmas Eve, followed by a musical program, etc., etc. I think it helps keep the kids busy and happy as they wait for Christmas to come.

On New Year's, though, I know I'd be too tired to do anything more than watch movies and play games. Maybe it's just what you grew up with that you're attached too.

That said, I grew up with BIG Christmas breakfasts involving eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, cinnamon rolls, hot chocolate, juice, and mandarin oranges. It just seemed so stressful. I am now very attached to Jonathon's family's tradition of aebelskivers (not terribly difficult to make) and bacon, with juice. Nice enough to be special without taking forever to get on the table and clean up afterward.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 11, 2010, 11:27:57 AM »
I don't think we have a traditional Christmas breakfast.  My husband grew up with heuvos rancheros, and we've done it now and then, but it really depends on my energy level.  We have our anniversary between Christmas and New Years, so it's not quite the dead week I recall from my youth.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #385 on: December 11, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »
Pooka, my wedding anniversary is December 28.  When is yours?
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 11, 2010, 08:59:22 PM »
The 29th.

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: January 23, 2011, 12:09:15 PM »

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: January 23, 2011, 02:25:24 PM »
Oh, I saw such a weird headline a few weeks back.  something about a Holladay killer loses appeal.  It was right after the holidays, and it totally crossed my streams.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #389 on: February 14, 2011, 10:59:09 PM »
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: February 14, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »
It's a horrible headline.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 14, 2011, 11:29:00 PM »
Not only that, but it's entirely inaccurate.  I found it fascinating.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 14, 2011, 11:44:47 PM »
We have previously established that your reactions should not be taken as typical.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 15, 2011, 12:01:32 AM »
Everybody else needs to get with the program.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: February 15, 2011, 05:32:00 AM »
I found the episode to be quite enjoyable.  I love that Watson went left to right then top to bottom through the answers, rather then hitting one topic until it was over.  It messed up my ability to focus my thoughts in on one type of thinking.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 15, 2011, 07:29:15 AM »
Everybody else needs to get with the program.
*snort*
-Aaron Kunin

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 15, 2011, 07:59:56 AM »
IBM's Watson bores as 'Jeopardy' big shot Sherlock

I cannot parse this headline.

Are you serious that you cannot parse it, or are you just saying that it's potentially confusing?

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 15, 2011, 08:23:54 AM »
I can parse it, but it is confusing.  Sometimes I think that's a good thing in a headline though—making me pause and forcing me to reread it kind of grabs my attention when I might have otherwise just glossed over the article.
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 15, 2011, 08:28:35 AM »
AFAIC, being able to easily and quickly identify which articles I'm interested in reading is far and away the main purpose of a headline.  Any headline that makes me stop to parse it has failed.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #399 on: February 15, 2011, 09:13:41 AM »
Are you serious that you cannot parse it, or are you just saying that it's potentially confusing?

I mean that I have no idea what "big shot Sherlock" is supposed to mean.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!