GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Quotes from work  (Read 180807 times)

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes from work
« Reply #1100 on: November 22, 2011, 12:54:39 PM »
It's bugs me, and I imagine that won't change.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1101 on: November 22, 2011, 01:14:29 PM »
Dunno.  I used to be the same way, but I got soft and mellow, like a stale malted milk ball, in my old age.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1102 on: November 22, 2011, 01:23:37 PM »
It's bugs me, and I imagine that won't change.

It bugs me too, though I just silently let it pass by. (Except for one of my former coworkers, because sometimes it's fun to razz editors about their nonstandard usage.)

I was just trying to point out that "when someone says ____, they're really saying ____" is just one piece of the puzzle.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: November 22, 2011, 01:27:44 PM »
Dunno.  I used to be the same way, but I got soft and mellow, like a stale malted milk ball, in my old age.
I can't hardly parse your comparison.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Noemon

• Arbiter of Cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: November 22, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »
When I was in grade school the teacher asked a classmate of mine if she had done something, and the kid responded by saying "I has done did it". It kind of blew my mind at the time, because it seemed so much more involved than just "I've done it" would have been. Is there a dialect in which you'll find a construction like that, or was she just spewing words randomly?
I wish more people were able to be like me. 
-Porter

I'm about perfect.
-pooka

I hope you have a wonderful adventure in Taiwan. Not a swashbuckling adventure, just a prawn flavored pringles adventure.

-pooka

Offline Farmgirl

• Out Standing in Her Field
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: November 23, 2011, 12:40:20 PM »
It blows my mind that you can remember a random conversation from grade school....
"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Being a farmer is not something that you do—it is something that you are.

If I could eat only one fruit, I wouldn't choose the blueberry. It is too small. I'd go with watermelon. There is a lot to eat on a watermelon. - Tante

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1106 on: November 23, 2011, 03:47:39 PM »
If Jake's grade school (and memory) is at all like mine, snippets of random conversations and the odd absurdity are all he remembers from grade school.
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Noemon

• Arbiter of Cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: November 23, 2011, 06:11:37 PM »
It blows my mind that you can remember a random conversation from grade school....
That particular remark really blew my mind.

Actually, though, my recall of my childhood used to be incredibly detailed. In recent years chunks of it have slipped away, though, which is sad. Makes me think I should start writing down what I can still recall of it.
-Porter

I'm about perfect.
-pooka

I hope you have a wonderful adventure in Taiwan. Not a swashbuckling adventure, just a prawn flavored pringles adventure.

-pooka

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1108 on: November 23, 2011, 06:25:28 PM »
When I was in grade school the teacher asked a classmate of mine if she had done something, and the kid responded by saying "I has done did it". It kind of blew my mind at the time, because it seemed so much more involved than just "I've done it" would have been. Is there a dialect in which you'll find a construction like that, or was she just spewing words randomly?

I honestly don't know. There are probably a lot of dialects in which you might find something like "I done it" or "I done did it", but I don't know about that particular combination. How old were you at the time? If you were pretty young, it could just be because kids haven't fully mastered grammar yet.

Offline Noemon

• Arbiter of Cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: November 23, 2011, 06:44:13 PM »
I believe we were in 2nd grade. It might have been 3rd, though.
-Porter

I'm about perfect.
-pooka

-pooka

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: November 25, 2011, 10:31:36 AM »
Someone probably had recently corrected her so she was trying to incorporate that.  

I remember the day they (the teacher and co-teacher) put a kid in the middle of a circle of all the children and tried to get him to pronounce "three" and not "free" and he wound up crying.  It's stuff like that makes me really not like prescriptivists.  If the person has not got the ear for what you're pointing out to them, it's just flat mean.  And it's actually the prescriptivist who is ignorant of what is really going on.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Marianne Dashwood

• View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: November 25, 2011, 09:53:56 PM »
Or the child had the ear for it but hadn't developed the motor ability to produce the sound. That's the worst thing. A lot of children can perceive differences long before they can produce them.
Occam must be shaving in his grave.
-Pooka

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1112 on: December 08, 2011, 10:04:07 AM »
They cannot expect to have so many horses, cattle, and wagons to haul themselves and luggage over the mountains; and this will open up the way most effectually for many of the Saints to enjoy that anticipates, and, with many, long-desired privilege of walking over the plains.

I stared at this ungrammatical nightmare for at least five minutes before I finally realized that "anticipates" should be "anticipated".

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: December 08, 2011, 03:06:03 PM »
I only have the flimsiest of grasps as to what they were trying to say.

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1114 on: December 08, 2011, 03:11:10 PM »
It was in the context of how Saints immigrating to the US shouldn't bring tons of crap with them, because it would cost too much and slow them down. The author was saying that many people had anticipated and had long desired to come across the plains, and packing lighter would enable them to do so.

Offline Marianne Dashwood

• View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: December 08, 2011, 05:46:56 PM »
Even with "anticipated" I still can't figure it out. Was it written by a Chinese person?
Occam must be shaving in his grave.
-Pooka

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1116 on: December 08, 2011, 06:28:46 PM »
Doubtful. But it's from 1852, so it sounds a little odd.

How about this: "This will open up the way most effectually for many of the Saints to enjoy that privilege of walking over the plains."

The privilege of walking over the plains was anticipated.

For many, the privilege of walking over the plains was also long desired.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: December 08, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
I could barely stand driving over the plains. These people were nuts, crazy Mormon pioneer nuts.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: December 08, 2011, 09:24:06 PM »
Well, many of them had been moved off from place to place and they decided rather than keeping up with the 150 mile hops they'd just go a good long ways and be done with.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: December 08, 2011, 10:00:37 PM »
Well, many of them had been moved off from place to place and they decided rather than keeping up with the 150 mile hops they'd just go a good long ways and be done with.
So if you were driven from home to home you'd be looking forward to a big long trek across the plains where you could setup home again?

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1120 on: December 08, 2011, 10:33:57 PM »
This is talking about emigrants from the British Isles. They hadn't been driven from place to place.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1121 on: December 09, 2011, 02:33:47 AM »
This is talking about emigrants from the British Isles. They hadn't been driven from place to place.

That's why they had to walk.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: December 09, 2011, 07:22:30 AM »
So if you were driven from home to home you'd be looking forward to a big long trek across the plains where you could setup home again?
I hope never to find out.  You don't think that had anything to do with it?  (Talking here about my read of the original quote and not Jonathon's explanation that it was British immigrants)

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: February 22, 2012, 07:15:31 PM »
Title of email sent to listserv:
Communication with students on subsidized elimination

Um, I don't think you meant what you just said . . .
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: February 22, 2012, 07:20:51 PM »
That would be a new government low.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter