GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Quotes from work  (Read 180791 times)

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Re: Quotes from work
« Reply #1075 on: November 17, 2011, 12:40:24 PM »
If it's a happy coincidence for you, do you want to edit this book for me? ;) This guy's prose is flat and lifeless, and he starts every other sentence with "thus" or "hence" or "therefore". It's really tedious.

Also, that's the entirety of the discussion about why Theravada did not take in China.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: November 17, 2011, 12:53:31 PM »
If it's a happy coincidence for you, do you want to edit this book for me?

Nope.  The happy part was that the giggle cleared my head a little.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1077 on: November 17, 2011, 12:56:43 PM »
Well, I guess that's worth something.

Offline Marianne Dashwood

• View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: November 17, 2011, 02:52:47 PM »
The Chinese enjoyed life and families, and so the Theravada form [of Buddhism], which required the ascetic life, was not especially attractive to them.

As opposed to all those other cultures that hate life and families.

Will you please write this in the margin? Please?
Occam must be shaving in his grave.
-Pooka

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: November 17, 2011, 03:23:16 PM »
The Chinese enjoyed life and families, and so the Theravada form [of Buddhism], which required the ascetic life, was not especially attractive to them.

As opposed to all those other cultures that hate life and families.

Will you please write this in the margin? Please?
Jonathon: 請接受她的建議!

I love how google translate (which I didn't use to write that) says, "Please accept her proposal" as the translation if I omit the exclamation mark. With the exclamation mark in, it translates to "Please accept her suggestions!"  Apparently one cannot exclaim one's proposals in Chinese.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: November 21, 2011, 09:07:17 AM »
". . . or do we minus the amounts . . ."

aaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1081 on: November 21, 2011, 10:13:40 AM »
 >_<

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: November 21, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
Oh man, that grates on the mind.

Edit: In other news a customer said, "I can't hardly hear you." I very nearly corrected her grammar.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: November 21, 2011, 04:04:35 PM »
"I can't hardly hear you." is perfectly understandable.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1084 on: November 21, 2011, 04:09:13 PM »
True, but it's also widely considered incorrect. Intelligibility is not the only determiner of whether something is considered correct or standard.

But I'd recommend against correcting a customer's grammar.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: November 21, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »
If the person was indicating that the value representing their ability to hear me was anything but "hardly" then yes.

edit: But most people don't mean that.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1086 on: November 21, 2011, 05:15:55 PM »
I think Porter is saying that you knew what was intended, even though it may not logically match what they said.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: November 21, 2011, 07:42:18 PM »
Intelligibility is not the only determiner of whether something is considered correct or standard.
And thank goodness for that.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1088 on: November 21, 2011, 07:46:27 PM »
Could you elaborate? I'm not trying to trap you or anything—I'm just curious what your thoughts are.

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: November 21, 2011, 07:56:16 PM »
Yes, I know that it's widely considered incorrect.   If somebody wrote that for an English paper, I'd absolutely advise them to change it.  But in spoken English, I think it's a perfectly reasonable variation.  

I disagree with the notion that a double negative must logically mean a positive.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1090 on: November 21, 2011, 08:33:41 PM »
Outside of an instructional situation (teacher, parent, etc.), I think it would be extremely obnoxious to correct that sort of non-standard English phrasing.

I'd agree. There are few cases where it's acceptable to correct someone else's language.

I disagree with the notion that a double negative must logically mean a positive.

(Disclaimer: I'm by no means an expert in logic.) It depends on what your axioms are. Two negatives can mean a positive, and in standard English they often do, but there's usually contrastive stress applied: "I didn't not do my homework." But nonstandard varieties that use multiple negation don't usually do this—they just distribute the negation, without extra stress, throughout the sentence, like "I didn't do no homework." The first sentence might be represented as something like –(–(do homework)), while the second might be (–do) (–homework). There's no reason to assume that the first negative has to have scope over the whole phrase, thus cancelling out the second.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: November 21, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »
Could you elaborate? I'm not trying to trap you or anything—I'm just curious what your thoughts are.
That way lies arguments about whether that horrible jumbled paragraph (the one that was ubiquitous for a bit a few years back) really is or is not readable, and just how hard it is or is not to decode. There are, IMO, enough accepted-usage ways to say most things that there is no reason to argue for the acceptability of most incorrect usages simply because it is possible to decode what the speaker/writer probably meant. Intelligibility is far too subjective and slippery to be the only (or primary) question.

Outside of an instructional situation (teacher, parent, etc.), I think it would be extremely obnoxious to correct that sort of non-standard English phrasing.
I'd agree. There are few cases where it's acceptable to correct someone else's language.
I entirely agree. When I responded to the listserv post I quoted above (the "minus" one), I said nothing about her usage. I just vented here. ;)
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1092 on: November 21, 2011, 09:26:24 PM »

Unless, of course, the reason they can't hardly hear is because there's a bad phone connection.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1093 on: November 21, 2011, 10:24:01 PM »
That way lies arguments about whether that horrible jumbled paragraph (the one that was ubiquitous for a bit a few years back) really is or is not readable, and just how hard it is or is not to decode. There are, IMO, enough accepted-usage ways to say most things that there is no reason to argue for the acceptability of most incorrect usages simply because it is possible to decode what the speaker/writer probably meant. Intelligibility is far too subjective and slippery to be the only (or primary) question.

I definitely agree that it's not the only question or even the primary one, as there are many possible sentences that are intelligible but not grammatical (in standard or any other English). And intelligibility isn't a binary feature but a whole spectrum. And intelligibility and grammaticality aside, there's the whole issue of style, which is a whole nother can of worms.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: November 21, 2011, 11:17:59 PM »
* rivka nods vigorously
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: November 21, 2011, 11:51:12 PM »
The reason it strikes me as bad usage is somebody who says, "I can't hardly hear you" is either saying they hear me just fine, or they can't hear me at all, not even hardly.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1096 on: November 22, 2011, 12:02:49 AM »
If someone says they can't hardly hear you, they are asking you to talk louder. To me, there is no confusion about that.
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: November 22, 2011, 12:25:05 AM »
I know that's what people mean. But if they want to say that, then they can say, "I can't hear you" or "I can hardly hear you". Mixing the phrases just creates a circumstance where the words don't actually mean what they appear to mean on the surface.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1098 on: November 22, 2011, 04:24:45 AM »
Only if you think about it too much.  I'd advise against thinking about it too much because it makes you look like a judgmental snob to whomever you correct.  Even if you are not a judgmental snob.

In any event, I think the proper idiom is "I CAIN'T hardly hear you", not "I CAN'T hardly hear you".  Not that I'd correct anyone on that.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1099 on: November 22, 2011, 09:56:21 AM »
Taylor: What you're essentially talking about is a mismatch between the locution and the illocution. That is, it's clear that the speaker meant one thing, even though their words literally mean another thing (given certain assumptions about how multiple negation works). And for your perlocution—how you receive it—you're favoring the literal rendering of the locution over the speaker's illocution. There's not necessarily anything wrong with that, but I think it's important to keep in mind that the literal meaning of an utterance is not the only guide to interpreting its meaning.