GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Quotes from work  (Read 187147 times)

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes from work
« Reply #925 on: January 21, 2011, 11:58:40 AM »
"The Road Home" was an excellent movie whose drama derives from emotion and not death. 
I was with you until I realized you weren't talking about Road House with Patrick Swayzee. ;)
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Marianne Dashwood

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: January 22, 2011, 01:04:59 PM »
So, I have my Ed Psych students write reflections on the chapters they read each week. I got this little jewel today:

Also in my teaching I am going to scaffolding my children b/c that is not only the theory but the requirement these days in public schools, why else would you talk about the same theorist Vygotsky in like 3 classes in this Educational program.  I mean he must be super improatnt to be mentioned in 3 different subjects.   And in this educational program at BYU last fall I felt like I was reading the same text book for at least 3 to 4 classes.  This Winter I feel I am reading the same text book for at least 3 of my classes why b/c you all love Vygostky.
Occam must be shaving in his grave.
-Pooka

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: January 22, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »
Was the chapter at least about scaffolding?

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: January 22, 2011, 06:20:49 PM »
You gotta read some summaries of Vygotsky while simultaenously listening to your son practicing his laugh in front of the bathroom mirror.

P.S.  It's weird, I think Vygotsky's delineation between internal speech and external speech is probably closer, in present day America, to the delineation between spoken language and written language.  I think he must have lived in a a time when external speech was more similar to written language.  If I'm not merely imagining the existence of such a time.  

P.P.S.  But I can see why Vygotsky would be so hot.  His premise that it is imagination and pretending, and not clarity and logic, that separates us from the animals is so postmodern.

t.P.S.  Though in the end of my whirlwind tour of Vygotsky's ideas, I think I have to grant the idea of scaffolding as it might be applied to adult moral development is very interesting. 
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Marianne Dashwood

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: January 22, 2011, 11:20:09 PM »
Most of what everyone loves about Vygotsky is the Zone of Proximal Development.
Occam must be shaving in his grave.
-Pooka

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #930 on: March 29, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »
I just had to share this story from a book about Germany during World War II:
During an air raid, . . . my mother and I came upon an elderly couple in the courtyard in the process of gathering propaganda leaflets, floating down from the sky. An American bomber had been kind enough to dump them on our property. The neighbors were aghast that we had caught them in a criminal activity. They asked if we would turn them in. I told them no, if they would share the precious leaflets with us, not to enlighten us, but for a much more mundane purpose. Toilet tissues had long been unavailable for purchase. Instead, we let the daily newspaper serve dual purposes. But since the newspaper printing plant had been bombed out, the leaflets, measuring about 8 ½ × 11 inches, cut into four sections, could serve not only cerebral but also posterior functions, courtesy of the 8th U.S. Air Force.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 29, 2011, 11:09:58 AM »
That's awesome!
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 29, 2011, 01:55:35 PM »
That makes me feel almost patriotic.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Farmgirl

• Out Standing in Her Field
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 31, 2011, 11:20:26 AM »
Well, this isn't exactly about language and work -- but does tie in with some of the idiocracy we often experience at work.

In our company environment, Marketing department controls most web-based company/customer interactions  (intranet, internet web pages, social media outreaches, press releases, etc. etc.)  Our marketing department can be... difficult.. to work with.

One of my closest friends at work, works in the Internet Development department - trying to make Marketing's wishes come true from a web developer standpoint.

So this was part of the exchange of emails between them all earlier this week.  (I should explain that our company "brand" is that the company name, anywhere it appears, is all in caps -- i.e. XXXXXXX Bank, N.A.)  Has been that way ever since they changed to this name from the old "First National" name.
Web Developer:   "Facebook has advised us that we can't have our page named XXXXXX Bank, because there are too many caps. They no longer allow entire word capitalization for business pages"

Marketing -- "This is a problem -- we used to have it that way for [XXXXX Other Page]!"

Web Developer:  "Yes, I know. We were grandfathered in for that one. This is a new Facebook rule."

Marketing: -- 'Well, this is just not going to work!!! It is very important that our brand is consistent among new and existing pages.  Talk to Facebook about it and asked them to override or drop that restriction!!!!"

Web Developer:  *face-palm*

I teased him "So.. you just gonna call up ole Mark Zuckerberg and ask him to make an exception for you, are ya?"  ROFL

"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Being a farmer is not something that you do—it is something that you are.

If I could eat only one fruit, I wouldn't choose the blueberry. It is too small. I'd go with watermelon. There is a lot to eat on a watermelon. - Tante

Offline fugu13

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 31, 2011, 11:56:45 AM »
Not Zuckerberg, of course, but Facebook does have a department for resolving exceptions, and they might be sympathetic to the argument that your bank really is XXXXXXXX Bank, with the caps. If you guys ask nicely and try to get to someone with sufficient decision-making power, it could work out.

Offline Farmgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 31, 2011, 12:03:04 PM »
Well, Web Developer guy has so for been unsuccessful in making contact with ANYONE at FB via any means.  FB, even FB Help, doesn't exactly have a big flashing sign that says "click here for conflict resolution!"  LOL
"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

If I could eat only one fruit, I wouldn't choose the blueberry. It is too small. I'd go with watermelon. There is a lot to eat on a watermelon. - Tante

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #936 on: March 31, 2011, 12:28:43 PM »
Insisting on having your name appear in all caps is stupid, I think. It just doesn't look good. I used to work for a place that had half of its name in caps, and now they just have an initial cap. I think it looks much better that way.

Offline fugu13

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 31, 2011, 12:39:40 PM »
Posting on the forum would probably be a good start, but I think you'd be most likely to get assistance via their advertising arm (note: getting the name may require making a small facebook ad buy or somesuch): http://www.facebook.com/business/contact.php

Offline Farmgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 31, 2011, 12:45:34 PM »
Insisting on having your name appear in all caps is stupid, I think. It just doesn't look good. I used to work for a place that had half of its name in caps, and now they just have an initial cap. I think it looks much better that way.

Not arguing with you on that point.  Much of what Marketing does I think is stupid.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #939 on: March 31, 2011, 06:40:29 PM »
Not from my work, but apparently from somebody's: “Please don’t send me something to proof if there are errors in it.”

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #940 on: June 09, 2011, 09:39:59 AM »
When the war began, the district president was ——— ——— (born 1902), a real estate agent dealing with nautical properties.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around the concept of "nautical properties".

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: June 09, 2011, 09:48:43 AM »
Docks, marinas, shipyards, beachfront properties?
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #942 on: June 09, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »
Well, Merriam-Webster says, "of, relating to, or associated with seamen, navigation, or ships", so that might work, but at the very least I don't think it's quite the right word. Beachfront properties don't necessarily have anything to do with seamen or ships, though docks and shipyards do.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #943 on: June 09, 2011, 10:27:54 AM »
Well, a Google search for "nautical properties" turns up a lot of real estate sites for beachfront properties, so I guess it's a real thing.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #944 on: June 16, 2011, 03:01:34 PM »
For most of my life, I was a nondenominational Christian, meaning I believed in Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father, but I never did anything about it.

This is not my understanding of what "nondenominational" means, but I'm not entirely sure what the author's going for. Any ideas?

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #945 on: June 16, 2011, 03:16:33 PM »
It means that the author didn't belong to any specific church and didn't subscribe to any specific creed.  The author was not Methodist, was not Presbyterian, was not Lutheran, was not Baptist, etc..

It's right in line with what I understand the word to mean.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #946 on: June 16, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »
But not belonging to a particular sect does not automatically entail not doing anything about one's faith.

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: June 16, 2011, 03:19:30 PM »
For the author, it apparently did.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #948 on: June 16, 2011, 03:23:31 PM »
I highly doubt that it automatically entailed that or that it actually meant what the author said. As I said before, that's not what "nondenominational" means, unless you grant that the author has his own special meaning of the word that no one else uses. :p

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: June 16, 2011, 03:26:38 PM »
Huh.  Reading it again, I guess that the author is saying that's what the word means. 

That's not how I read it at all, though, and I doubt that's what the author meant.
Tomorrow Poster