GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Quotes from work  (Read 180831 times)

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes from work
« Reply #975 on: June 17, 2011, 04:43:25 PM »
But shouldn't a good editor consider how readers will take what the writer is saying and suggest a different way to write it to the author so as not to offend?
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: June 17, 2011, 04:53:57 PM »
I am unconvinced that the average reader would find it either offensive or confusing.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #977 on: June 17, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
Both?
Heh. As a reader, I agree with your objection. But were I editing, I think I would not -- the intent he (apparently) wishes to convey is being accurately conveyed. The sentence says what he wants it to.

I disagree. And as Ruth says, I don't really see the distinction. And I don't get why you say, "As a reader, I agree with your objection," and then later, "I am unconvinced that the average reader would find it either offensive or confusing." Those sound contradictory to me.

As I've said, I think that while the author's intent may be clear, I think that what he says does not actually match his intent. I think it's sloppy and vague at best, so I have reworded it.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: June 17, 2011, 06:02:00 PM »
Growing up it always bugged me when kids in school would break out in Cantonese/Mandaring (but mostly Cantonese), so as to hold conversations, without any thought to the rest of us in the room. I get that some things are just easier to discuss in a certain language. It *really* angered me when they'd break into Cantonese explicitely to talk about somebody so that they could not understand. I accepted though that I was a minority, and that English while the official language of Hong Kong until 1997, was really the secondary language.

Now I am here working my job in Utah, and I feel the same feelings of being outcast but because I don't speak Spanish. Nobody has spoken in Spanish so as to exclude me, to be honest it probably isn't safe to do so, I can pick out plenty of words. But I just don't like the *every* person in the evening team defaults to Spanish when they talk about almost everything, even the caucasians. I'm probably not doing a good job of explaining why it bugs me, but I feel like if you need to get a few words out in another language fine, but make sure others nearby don't feel excluded/talked about.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: June 17, 2011, 07:55:27 PM »
Those sound contradictory to me.
I don't consider myself an average reader.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #980 on: June 17, 2011, 10:08:39 PM »
Right, but why would you agree with my objection as an above-average reader but then say the average reader wouldn't object?

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: June 17, 2011, 10:55:30 PM »
I agree with everything Rivka has said on this matter.

Maybe that should be my sig...
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: June 18, 2011, 05:34:17 AM »
In my experience there are two almost completely contradictory uses of the term "non-denominational" when applied to Christianity.  The first is the sort of generic Christian that the author in question seems to be referring to -- it's what's usually meant by non-denominational chapels at hospitals and airports and non-denominational prayers at public events.  But when someone says they go to a non-denominational church it is more likely to mean a church that is not that sort of "generically" Christian but is not associated with a denomination either because they strongly believe that church governing authority is vested in the local congregation, or because they were started by a charismatic pastor who holds onto authority, or because their particular interpretation of Christianity is so particular that they don't agree with the teachings of any denomination.

And, again in my experience, a person who refers to themselves as a non-denominational Christian is more likely to be meaning it in the second sense.  The person who means it in the first sense is more likely, if asked his/her religion, to just say Christian. 

Which is all to say, I think Jonathon is right to change it.

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: June 18, 2011, 07:20:14 AM »
My understanding of nondenominational matches precisely what Dana described. It has nothing to do with not going to church.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: June 18, 2011, 07:22:06 AM »
Dana pretty much nailed what I was thinking when I read the phrase.

Also, I'm still annoyed about Cantonese and Spanish, but I feel so alone in my frustration.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Marianne Dashwood

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: June 18, 2011, 07:52:06 AM »
Wait, what happened with Cantonese and Spanish?
Occam must be shaving in his grave.
-Pooka

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: June 18, 2011, 07:59:07 AM »
It's about seven posts above your post.

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: June 20, 2011, 10:05:52 AM »
I'm doing some qualitative coding on student course evaluations. I'm rather fond of this one:

Professor J you are a beast. Your tests are animals and there is nothing wrong with that just know you are a very difficult teacher, especially considering this is a 100 level class. Your T.A.s are the saving grace of the class. Without them we would be destroyed.

I'm not quite sure how to mark it though. Positive experience in the class? Negative experience in the class? Maybe I need to make a category for beastly experiences in the class.
-Pooka

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: June 24, 2011, 04:20:43 PM »
"I generally wore boring, plain headbands, despite my deep inner desire to be girly and colorful. "
-Pooka

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: June 26, 2011, 06:52:26 PM »
Too bad that wasn't from the era when more athletes wore headbands. 
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #990 on: July 07, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »
especially since it is his first name and not his sir name
:D
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #991 on: July 07, 2011, 10:40:04 PM »
Nice eggcorn!

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: July 07, 2011, 11:33:09 PM »
I was amused. And when catching up on weeks' worth of listserv messages, that's always helpful.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #993 on: July 27, 2011, 01:40:17 PM »
This mannerism, however, was not dictated by revelation nor was it explicitly implied in journal accounts
Given the inherent difficulty in explicitly implying anything, I can see why it didn't happen.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: July 27, 2011, 02:38:42 PM »
*snicker*
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #995 on: July 27, 2011, 02:39:17 PM »
However, the efforts of neither could be completed without the other.

It's interesting how this reads to me quite differently from "neither one's efforts could be completed without the other's." Is it just me? I think moving the "neither" completely changes the scope of the negation.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: July 27, 2011, 03:21:39 PM »
It's not just you.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #997 on: July 27, 2011, 04:35:11 PM »
Oh, good. Sometimes, when you've read too many student papers, everything starts sounding weird.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: July 27, 2011, 06:39:48 PM »
I am familiar with the phenomenon.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: July 28, 2011, 08:24:17 AM »
However, the efforts of neither could be completed without the other.

It's interesting how this reads to me quite differently from "neither one's efforts could be completed without the other's." Is it just me? I think moving the "neither" completely changes the scope of the negation.
It doesn't change the scope at all for me.  How does it change for you?
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.