GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Dear Expert  (Read 151813 times)

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Expert
« Reply #600 on: January 23, 2013, 02:59:08 PM »
I would have started singing "when Reginald was home with flu..."
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 14, 2013, 06:43:03 AM »
I was wondering the other day about Indo-European words for mother and father.

In Latin, mater and pater have the same initial vowel sound. In French, Spanish and Italian they all retain matching sounds, though in French the /a/ became /ɛ/. But in English, mother and father don't have matching vowels anymore, and I was wondering if this happened just to English but realized that German is Mutter and Vater. Any idea whether those vowels would have changed after Germanic languages broke off and why?

Also, most European languages use variations on mama and papa. Where the heck did dad come from?
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 14, 2013, 08:31:59 AM »
Baby talk. "da-da" is one of the first sounds babies make. ;)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 14, 2013, 08:55:09 AM »
Since English and Farsi both have roots in Indo-European languages, they share some common words.

In Farsi, Pedär is formal and respectful word for father. Baba is the informal word for dad. Same deal for mom.

Mother = Maadar - مادر
or
Mum/Mom = Maamaan - مامان
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #604 on: February 14, 2013, 10:37:52 AM »
I know I've posted about this before, but the forum search is failing me. I'll try to post a longer answer later, but here it is in a nutshell: the differing modern vowels come from the different PIE vowels in *pətḗ(r) and *mātér. In Latin these vowels apparently both became /a/, but in Germanic languages they went different ways. I think PIE /a:/ usually rose in Germanic languages, but I don't know all the details.

I came across a fascinating paper once that explained how baby talk actually creates familiar terms for "mother" and "father". "Papa" and "dada" have no etymological connection to other words for "father"; babies makes them up, and we take them to be meaningful and then expect later generations of babies to use those terms.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 14, 2013, 10:41:59 AM »
I came across a fascinating paper once that explained how baby talk actually creates familiar terms for "mother" and "father". "Papa" and "dada" have no etymological connection to other words for "father"; babies makes them up, and we take them to be meaningful and then expect later generations of babies to use those terms.
I remember that. You either linked to it or sent it to me, IIRC.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 14, 2013, 10:46:41 AM »
This is not the one I was thinking of, but it's clearly considered a classic: http://www.scribd.com/doc/54278465/13/WHY-MAMA-AND-PAPA
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #607 on: February 14, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »
That's not the one I remember either.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #608 on: February 14, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »
Here's the discussion. It was goofy, not me, that linked to it. The orignal link is broken, but this appears to be the same paper.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 14, 2013, 11:55:43 AM »
That link won't work for me, but I think this one might be functional: www.sussex.ac.uk/english/documents/where-do-mama2.pdf

I'm not sure if that's the one I was thinking of. Possibly. Or I've conflated more than one source in my memory.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #610 on: February 14, 2013, 11:57:36 AM »
Weird. That's goofy's original link, which didn't work for me a minute ago. Now both links are going to the same place.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 14, 2013, 12:11:10 PM »
How bizarre.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 14, 2013, 01:43:23 PM »
So even babies have some pull as far as language goes?
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #613 on: February 14, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »
Yup, though infants' contributions are probably mostly limited to words like "mama" and "dada".

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 16, 2013, 11:13:06 AM »
Is it true that the phrase "capital" as in "capital crimes" is derived from Latin, and meaning that a crime was seriousness enough to warrant the forfeiture of one's head, hence capital?

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #615 on: February 16, 2013, 11:36:48 AM »

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 24, 2013, 07:12:18 AM »
So in a show Tristan was watching, they were reading The Swiss Family Robinson. They said the following sentence,

"The Swiss Family Robinson was sailing in a boat."

Shouldn't it be "The Swiss Family Robins were sailing in a boat"? (An aside, should the preceding question mark be in the quotation marks)?

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 24, 2013, 09:47:21 AM »
"Was" is correct, as the singular noun (family) refers to the entire group. But is still singular.

And the question mark only goes inside the quotation marks when it is part of the quote. So no. But it should have been inside the parentheses.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #618 on: February 24, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »
"Was" is grammatically correct, since "family" is a singular noun, as Rivka said. But plural verbs are fairly common (especially in Britain, I believe), and it's especially common to refer to "family" with the plural pronoun "they".

Rivka's also right about the question marks. In the first you're questioning a quote, not quoting a question. In the second the whole parenthetical sentence is a question. Generally, punctuation only goes inside quotation marks if it's part of the quotation, but in American practice periods and commas always go inside, whether or not they're part of the quotation.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 24, 2013, 02:52:00 PM »
but in American practice periods and commas always go inside, whether or not they're part of the quotation.
Except for those of us who have rebelled against such insanity. Join us!
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 24, 2013, 02:57:54 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #621 on: February 25, 2013, 07:25:26 AM »
but in American practice periods and commas always go inside, whether or not they're part of the quotation.
Except for those of us who have rebelled against such insanity. Join us!

Shvester!  I consider myself to be a conscientious objector.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #622 on: February 26, 2013, 12:02:08 PM »
I wonder how long it'll be before the logical method becomes common in edited text. Publishers and style guides are holding firm for now, even though it's pretty common in educated usage.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 28, 2013, 11:50:18 AM »
Plan, plot, ploy. These words all mean similar things, are they all descended from the same word? Plot and ploy seem to mean plans where you are not up front with people that you have them. Plan can kinda go either way.

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 28, 2013, 05:25:11 PM »
They're all from the Proto Indo-European root /*pl*ēu/, which means "This is a serious step. I want you to go over by that trampoline and talk about it first."
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante