GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Language Acquisition  (Read 11298 times)

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: Language Acquisition
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2015, 03:47:51 PM »
There are a few songs it turns out Cedar knows once I recognize he's singing them.  "Wheels on the bus", "Ring around the rosie" and "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam" and a few from signing time.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Farmgirl

• Out Standing in Her Field
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 03:12:03 PM »
My son, who is an Aspie but had not been diagnosed at that point had his hearing tested at least 4 or 5 extra times before he was 3. I was very concerned about his hearing, because he frequently did not respond at all when I spoke to him, but he kept passing the tests. His pediatrician finally said to me, "He hears you just fine. He simply doesn't want to listen."

Went through a similar set of tests with my younger son (now 27) -- they thought perhaps high functioning autism, but ruled it out. All his teachers said he had hearing problems.  Hearing tests all passed well. (with a response similar to what your pediatrician said above). Finally a series of test showed he heard fine, but had an auditory processing disorder -- something about how the two hemispheres of the brain got the information milliseconds apart instead of simultaneously. (off-rhythm). It was interesting.  But it affected sometimes how he responded to auditory stimuli.
"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Being a farmer is not something that you do—it is something that you are.

If I could eat only one fruit, I wouldn't choose the blueberry. It is too small. I'd go with watermelon. There is a lot to eat on a watermelon. - Tante

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2015, 03:37:14 PM »
That is interesting.

Does it still have any significant day-to-day effects now, or has he learned compensation mechanisms?
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Farmgirl

• Out Standing in Her Field
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2015, 09:26:55 PM »
He had pretty much already created a lot of compensation habits by the time they figured it out (5th grade - there was lots of gnashing of teeth and testing before this was figured out).  But as an adult now, I would say it no longer has any significant impact on his life.  He chose an occupation that doesn't require a lot of requirement for auditory processing and regurgitation. (as school often is).  As the tester said at the time,  "once it gets IN  [his brain] it is really IN -- he doesn't seem to forget much of anything. But getting it established in, and then getting him to also be able to coherently output the information -- that is a real struggle."

That - and I have to say him using the internet daily actually helped as well - the processing of written information (reading, etc.) and interactions via chat, etc. 

The testing was done by Heartspring, which was founded on helping kids with auditory issues.  Fortunately for me, it is here local.
"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Being a farmer is not something that you do—it is something that you are.

If I could eat only one fruit, I wouldn't choose the blueberry. It is too small. I'd go with watermelon. There is a lot to eat on a watermelon. - Tante

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2015, 09:39:18 PM »
But as an adult now, I would say it no longer has any significant impact on his life. 
That's great. Adults certainly do have choices about their environment that kids in school just don't.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2015, 11:48:12 AM »
I wonder if there's a filtering component to that.  One thing I think goes on with Cedar is he finds different things relevant from us.

But he is signing colors now, which is pretty exciting since it involves making some of the alphabet hand shapes.  And last week I was talking to him about a toy, and said it had colors, and he named the colors in the toy accurately.  I am hopeful this means he has an understanding of what a category is.  I can't wait for the preschool folks to see all he's done this summer.  If he'll do it, of course.  If he's not comfortable in an environment (like church) he acts like he used to in January.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2015, 11:50:59 AM »
Remind me to ask you sometime about my idea for an iPad app about categories for kids on the spectrum.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
Is there any chance you can put it on droid instead?  I am not giving a $900 machine for my kid to whack around.  That's what I bought the $79 machine for.  He does a fair amount with Starfall, but I was dismayed to learn it only works with a wifi signal. 

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2015, 12:51:07 PM »
Yeah - you can develop for both.

"You" meaning "one", meaning someone with better programming skills than me. But I will have to work with such a person anyway for any of my app ideas to materialize.

There actually is a guy I graduated with that I talked to about this; he programs apps for extra money; I have three apps designed that need a programmer. Now it's just a matter of having the time to work on things outside of work and child, which seems nigh impossible.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2015, 07:37:46 PM »
Tonight, Duplo and El Guapo were playing hide and seek. Robo heard them counting over and over and quickly picked up on the game. He can't really talk much yet, but he had the intonation just right, so it sounded like he was counting. I tried to get a video, but of course as soon as the camera was rolling, he wouldn't do it. He even kind of had "un doo ee" going on with minor variation each time.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2015, 08:37:23 PM »
 :D
-Aaron Kunin

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2015, 04:59:53 PM »
Awwww.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 12:38:14 PM »
:)

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2015, 06:27:53 AM »
I just turned on a video which was muted for a bit, and Cedar may have read "Thank you" on the screen.  Or maybe spacepook had him watch Dinosaur Train more than I was aware back when she used to watch him.  Over a year ago. 

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2015, 08:10:58 PM »
Cedar brought me a pillow when I stretched out on the couch the other day.  And yesterday he pointed to show he really wanted something.  Though he didn't point at what he wanted, really, just kind of used it as a gesture indicating urgency, I think. 

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2015, 07:21:54 AM »
Spells his name.  Doesn't say Mama. 

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2015, 09:40:24 PM »
Spells his name.  Doesn't say Mama.

That's really interesting. The mind is a curious thing.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2015, 01:43:05 PM »
This morning he was singing along to Love me like you do.  Just a little.  Freaked us out, though.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2015, 06:42:33 PM »
Cedar went through a cute phase of saying and signing peach.  Now he's repeating things like eggs, donut and 'izza.

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2015, 10:43:42 AM »
That's great!

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2015, 12:32:12 PM »
It's like Cedar knows English about as well as I know a few foreign languages.  I went through a phrasebook audio this month, and I can repeat things and understand carefully pronounced things, but when asked to produce something I kind of freeze.  I've spent years in these languages but they still confound me.  But maybe it's me as well.  My sister says I didn't talk much until I was 5.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2015, 07:50:44 AM »
Cedar's song of the week is Row, Row, Row your boat.
He is saying ice meaningfully too, which is one of his favorite things.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2015, 12:01:31 PM »
New this week was repeating his sister saying "Oh, shoot!" which made us forget what was wrong and start praising him.  He also repeated "poopy" and "diaper".  And sometimes he says what seems to be "Bye, mom".  But he usually says it several times if he's going to say it.  He's getting really good at saying cheese, too. 

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2015, 10:33:07 AM »
Yesterday Cedar identified an airplane and goldfish.  He has also been singing twinkle twinkle, more the tune than recognizable words, though.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2015, 12:36:32 PM »
Cedar is now saying things to get things (as opposed to repeating after models).  He also repeated tiger and peacock at the zoo.  Of course there were many more animals besides those that we pointed out to him but you take what you can get.