GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Military English  (Read 3172 times)

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
Military English
« on: March 18, 2010, 03:16:33 PM »
OK so I was thinking about this this morning.  In the Vietnam war American GI's using their special military alphabet (Not in alphabetical order: Alpha, Whisky, Foxtrot, etc) referred to North Vietnamese combatants as Charlie.  Charlie is obviously the letter C in that alphabet.

Today, enemy combatants in Iraq, Afghanistan are (from what I have seen) referred to as Tangos.  I don't think I have heard of them referred to as Charlie.

Were VC forces called Charlie because they were communists and communism starts with a C?  And are enemy combatants called Tangos because they are terrorists and terrorism starts with a T?
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Military English
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:40:31 PM »
I'm pretty sure "tango" is for "terrorist", but I'm not sure about "charlie" in the Vietnam War. I would guess that you're right that it's for "communist".
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:49:47 PM by Jonathon »
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline fugu13

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Military English
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 03:46:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure the derivation worked as follows: Charlie was originally for the Viet Cong, or Victor Charlie, and that was extended to the North Vietnamese (because you don't want to call your enemies "Victors").

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Military English
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 05:31:37 PM »
And the "military alphabet" isn't just. Police officers and ham radio operators and others use it as well -- internationally. Also, while some letters are the same as the alphabet that used to be used by the military (Charlie among them), many are different from the one commonly used now. (Tango among them.)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
Military English
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 06:16:07 PM »
And the "military alphabet" isn't just. Police officers and ham radio operators and others use it as well -- internationally. Also, while some letters are the same as the alphabet that used to be used by the military (Charlie among them), many are different from the one commonly used now. (Tango among them.)
Did it originate with the US military, or does it precede it?
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
Military English
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 06:22:08 PM »
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Military English
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2010, 10:52:35 AM »
I'd guess Tango refers to "target" rather than "terrorist."  But that is just a guess.  Seems like learning that alphabet was part of Ham radio certification, which I looked into but lost steam on.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 10:53:24 AM by pooka »
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Military English
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 11:57:52 AM »
Seems like learning that alphabet was part of Ham radio certification
Sure is.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
Re: Military English
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 11:42:00 AM »
Do you know which federal legal holiday is observed on Nov. 11?

Here are the choices:

1.) Veteran’s Day

2.) Veterans’ Day

3.) Veterans Day

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (no apostrophe) continues to promote the attributive version, and offers the following explanation on its Web site: “Veterans Day does not include an apostrophe but does include an ‘s’ at the end of ‘veterans’ because it is not a day that ‘belongs’ to veterans, it is a day for honoring all veterans.”
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 12:04:18 PM »
I think this is the result of a very basic misunderstanding of just what exactly the genitive is. We often call it the possessive in English, which leads people to think that it only denotes ownership, which is a mistake. And this kind of reasoning about possessives leads to stupid thing like removing apostrophes in place names like Pikes Peak. There's no way to interpret that as a plural attributive noun.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 12:38:38 PM »
Martha's Vineyard stubbornly retains their apostrophe.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 12:46:27 PM »
Yup. They are one of five exceptions granted by the US Board on Geographic Names. See question 18.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 03:26:58 PM »
This is sorta military related.  Are side burns really so named after Gen. Ambrose Burnside of civil war renown who sported some pretty impressive specimens?

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 03:33:49 PM »
Yup.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 03:47:24 PM »
Yup.
Could you point me in a direction where I could read about it?

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 03:59:56 PM »
The OED and Etymonline.com don't give much explanation: they say that it was originally burnsides, and then within about ten or twelve years, it had turned into sideburns. Wikipedia says pretty much the same thing.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2010, 04:53:59 PM »
Ah, thanks!