GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: If I were king of the world,  (Read 9487 times)

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
If I were king of the world,
« on: May 16, 2009, 06:57:31 AM »
and decided to make English better, how would I change it?

This is a thread to propose (and justify!) ways that you'd change how English is either spoken or written and discuss the consequences of the changes, pitfalls and improvements on them, and how the change is either brilliant :thecheat: or moronic :homestar: .

My first proposal is a specific rather than general rule: both its and it's should be spelled identically.  I really don't care which way, but we should pick one and stick with it.  We don't differentiate between them in spoken English, and it's not confusing there, so it shouldn't be any more confusing in written English.  The spelling differentiation only helps make things clearer in written English if you can remember a very specific rule, as opposed to there vs. they're, where you only need basic understanding of how English contractions are formed to know the exact meaning of the word.    
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 07:03:30 AM »
That is one I routinely screw up.  Does that fall under grammar, usage, spelling, or just puctuation?  Categories of practical English.  Hmm.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 07:08:09 AM »
Here are some general guidelines I also propose:

1. Current standard English is the baseline, and there should be positive benefit for any proposed change from there.

2. General rules are better than specific rules.   Anti-preference should be given to irregular rules.

3. While there is value in phonetic spellings, there is also some value in being able to see the etymology of a word in its non-phonetic spelling.  Also, despite it being culturally elitist thing to say, I claim that there is more value in being able to derive Greek or Romantic etymologies than other etymologies, as more educated English speakers are familiar with Greek, Romantic, and Latin words than German ones.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:08:32 AM »
That is one I routinely screw up.  Does that fall under grammar, usage, spelling, or just puctuation?
I'll bet it does!
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2009, 07:10:47 AM »
Another proposal:  once a word becomes English, it's fully English.  That means that modifications to the word are done in the standard English fashion, and not in a way that reflects their language of origin.  That means, for example, that we'd use radiuses instead of radii and semispehre instead of hemisphere.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2009, 07:14:22 AM »
semispehre instead of hemisphere
I'm confused. What does this one have to do with naturalizing borrowed words?
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2009, 08:10:38 AM »
I'd make C represent the "ch" sound, X represent the "sh" sound, and replace all current c's and x's with s, k, and "ks." I'd also reintroduce theta and eth for the "th" sounds.

Like this:

sirkle (circle)
foks (fox)
kold (cold)
xow (show)
ximmy (shimmy)
cild (child)
cokolate (chocolate)

Also, I'd get rid of all the h's in "wh" words.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline beverly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2009, 08:21:48 AM »
semispehre instead of hemisphere
I'm confused. What does this one have to do with naturalizing borrowed words?
Huh.  My understanding was that we use the words half of a sphere is a hemisphere and half of a circle is a semicircle because one of the words comes from Greek and the other comes from Latin, so one uses a Greek prefix and the other a Latin one.  But looking in the dictionary, they both seem to come from Latin.

edit:  Oops.  This is Porter.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2009, 08:22:20 AM by beverly »
I have decided that inside my head is feral Katie, and Feral Katie has opinions of her own.

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2009, 08:24:49 AM »
I'd make C represent the "ch" sound, X represent the "sh" sound, and replace all current c's and x's with s, k, and "ks." I'd also reintroduce theta and eth for the "th" sounds.
Woah!  No small changes for you!  
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2009, 08:35:21 AM »
Huh.  My understanding was that we use the words half of a sphere is a hemisphere and half of a circle is a semicircle because one of the words comes from Greek and the other comes from Latin, so one uses a Greek prefix and the other a Latin one.  But looking in the dictionary, they both seem to come from Latin.
Hemi was borrowed from Greek to Latin to English. But I still don't understand the rationale for changing hemisphere to semisphere.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2009, 08:38:10 AM »

Like this:

sirkle (circle)
foks (fox)
kold (cold)
xow (show)
ximmy (shimmy)
cild (child)
cokolate (chocolate)

You forgot to change qu to kw. ;)

So why theta rather than thorn?

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2009, 09:21:33 AM »
Huh.  My understanding was that we use the words half of a sphere is a hemisphere and half of a circle is a semicircle because one of the words comes from Greek and the other comes from Latin, so one uses a Greek prefix and the other a Latin one.  But looking in the dictionary, they both seem to come from Latin.
Hemi was borrowed from Greek to Latin to English. But I still don't understand the rationale for changing hemisphere to semisphere.
OK, let's back up for a second.  Why do we use hemisphere instead of semisphere?
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2009, 09:36:45 AM »
Because hemi and sphere are both Greek, whereas semi is Latin. Also, it appears that hemisphere was an actual Greek word and isn't something that was merely assembled from Greek roots.

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2009, 10:46:46 AM »

Like this:

sirkle (circle)
foks (fox)
kold (cold)
xow (show)
ximmy (shimmy)
cild (child)
cokolate (chocolate)

Why are you using the "y" in the "shimmy" example?  Why not just spell it "shimmee" ?

Or would you like to spell "deep" "dyp" ?
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2009, 12:18:46 PM »
Vowel spellings in English are such a mess that I almost think we'd have to leave some odd things alone. But I think it's quite possible to standardize consonant spellings.

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »
I would replace the traditional Latin alphabet with an alternative, more phonetically accurate alphabet for the English language. This would offer immigrants an opportunity to learn to read and write English, which is often less phonetically consistent than many other languages.

Oh, wait. Not me, Brigham Young.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2009, 10:47:16 PM »
:peek:  
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2009, 07:34:01 AM »
Speaking of the Deseret Alphabet, at my son's school the other day in addition to the usual Alphabet letters on the wall they had 7 or 8 alternate sounds like th and sh and ch, and for some reason they included postvocallic R.  How common is it for people to really think of those as different sounds?  I mean, I'd put an alveolar tap up before I'd get all het up about postvocalic r.  

One of my ex-brother in laws actually said that we keep spellings such as ough in order to know who is bonafide.

"I am the pater familias!"
"But you're not bonafide."
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 08:40:04 AM »
Oh, wait. Not me, Brigham Young.
I get those two confused all the time.[/quote]
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2009, 08:45:57 AM »
Because hemi and sphere are both Greek, whereas semi is Latin.
OK.  I was saying that the language of origin should have no bearing on how we modify words.  Semi is the standard prefix that we use for that purpose, and sphere shouldn't get a separate prefix because it comes from Greek.

Also, it appears that hemisphere was an actual Greek word and isn't something that was merely assembled from Greek roots.
Well, in that case, I guess this rule of mine doesn't apply to hemisphere.  

----

Concerning Ruth's proposed spelling changes -- I don't have a justification for why, but I don't like the idea of changing thing so much that somebody who is fluent in English today would have a problem reading it after the change.  
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2009, 01:45:33 PM »
My crazy idea for spelling reform would be to teach it as well as the old system for 25 years in schools. Year 1, you only teach it to kindergartners. Year 2, those first graders and then the new kindergartners. Year 3, likewise except now you have second graders too. By year 25, everyone who attended school will know both systems, and they'll probably think the more phonetic spelling system is the "easy" version. Year 26, you start putting both spellings on street signs, product packaging, etc., kind of like Canada does with French and English. Year 51, we use the new system for everything but still teach both spelling systems in schools to some extent so that kids can read "old" texts. And hopefully, after 50 years of watching their younger siblings, kids, and grandkids learn it, seeing it everywhere, and hearing about it, those over 50 will be able to adjust to the new system as well.

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2009, 02:39:14 PM »
I've never heard of this before.

http://www.deseretalphabet.com/index.html

Who does this guy think he is?
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2009, 08:28:37 PM »

Like this:

sirkle (circle)
foks (fox)
kold (cold)
xow (show)
ximmy (shimmy)
cild (child)
cokolate (chocolate)

I personally don't see any benefit to several of those changes, though they would be fine suggestions if you were coming up with an English orthography from scratch. In theory a 1:1 phoneme to grapheme correspondence sounds like a good thing, but I think languages like German show that it's not strictly necessary.

And at any rate, I'd worry about fixing English vowel spellings before I messed with the consonant spellings, which are already considerably more systematic in their use. The question is how to fix our vowels. It's tempting to try to align them with their original values, but that's a pretty major overhaul. I think a more realistic approach would be to start by smoothing out the inconsistencies in English spelling today. This is just off the top of my head; there might be better solutions to some or most of these.

/i/ = <ee>
/?/ = <i>
/e/ = <ey>
/?/ = <e>
/æ/ = <ae>
/?/ = <a>
/?/ = <o>
/o/ = <ow>
/?/ = <u>
/u/ = <ou>
/?/ = <uh>
/aw/ = <aw>
/aj/ = <ay>
/?j/ = <oy>

For the most part, all the tense vowels and diphthongs are spelled with two letters, while the lax monophthongs get only one. Silent e's would disappear. Sow thaet wuld giv uhs spelling thaet luks layk this. Ay down't think thaet's tou draestic uhf a cheyng, thow Ay'm olredee ruhnning intou prablems wher saylent e's indiceyt soft cansonaents. It's olsow hard tou ditermin thee uhnderlaying vawels bihaynd suhm vawels.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2009, 08:29:23 PM »
Ugh. My proposed system looks ugly.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2009, 08:56:41 PM »
Not only that, it assumes that there is consistency and agreement among English speakers for those vowel sounds.  Which I have not found to be true.

As an example, I can distinguish between "marry", "merry", and "Mary", while you can not.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous