GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Sciency Stuff  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Noemon

• Arbiter of Cool
    • View Profile
Sciency Stuff
« on: September 27, 2006, 07:14:05 AM »
Thought you might find this interesting, Jon Boy.
I wish more people were able to be like me. 
-Porter

I'm about perfect.
-pooka

I hope you have a wonderful adventure in Taiwan. Not a swashbuckling adventure, just a prawn flavored pringles adventure.

-pooka

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Sciency Stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 08:10:53 AM »
They should also try mapping the genes of Grammar Nazis, see if they have genes other people lack.  

I do have one sister who can't spell very well, and she believes it's because her 3rd or 4th grade teacher said it wasn't important, because they would be switching to phonetic spelling any day now.  I have trouble imagining the teacher said that, but it's what she decided from the discussion on phonetic spelling.  Maybe in the end spelling doesn't mean much more than having the perodic chart of the elements memorized.  Or maybe it does have to do with the fact that she's a nicer person than the rest of us.  Or was, until she started dieting.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Sciency Stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 08:53:37 AM »
Interesting article. (Although I think using the word "mosaic" in a sentence about Down's was an exceptionally poor word choice. Although that might just be my sleepy-not-enough-coffee-yet-talking. ;) )
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Sciency Stuff
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 09:40:58 AM »
Cool. Thanks for the link, Noemon. For a minute I was worried that it was going to talk about reconstructing mankind's first language, but thankfully they didn't.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Noemon

• Arbiter of Cool
    • View Profile
Sciency Stuff
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 01:41:29 PM »
Cool. Thanks for the link, Noemon. For a minute I was worried that it was going to talk about reconstructing mankind's first language, but thankfully they didn't.
Hebrew, you mean?[/19th Century]
« Last Edit: September 27, 2006, 01:42:08 PM by Noemon »
-Porter

I'm about perfect.
-pooka

I hope you have a wonderful adventure in Taiwan. Not a swashbuckling adventure, just a prawn flavored pringles adventure.

-pooka

Offline Noemon

• Arbiter of Cool
    • View Profile
Sciency Stuff
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 01:43:06 PM »
But seriously, sure, glad to share!  I tried to use a generic enough title that I could use this as a warehouse for interesting articles on linguistics, while at the same time living up to my member title.
-Porter

I'm about perfect.
-pooka

-pooka

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Sciency Stuff
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 02:32:46 PM »
Hebrew, you mean?[/19th Century]
 :lol:  
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin