GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Quotes from work  (Read 180803 times)

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Re: Quotes from work
« Reply #1375 on: May 09, 2014, 09:28:31 AM »
This is on our intranet page right now:

If a lack of sleep is keeping you up at night, read on for information and resources to help you get your zzz's.

As a matter of fact, a lack of sleep IS keeping me up at night!
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1376 on: May 09, 2014, 11:10:03 AM »
A lack of sleep not only keeps me up at night, it keeps me up during the daytime as well.  But as much as I would like more zzz's, what I would prefer are qqq's because then I could win at the alphabet game on car rides.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1377 on: May 19, 2014, 03:48:13 PM »
I'm editing a short piece on computer literacy for people who work at Deseret Industries stores. It includes a link to this site (and quotes from it without attribution, of course). Judging from its companion page on the WorldWideWeb (WWW), I'd say it has to be at least 17 years old. It references Windows 95 and the Mosaic browser, which was discontinued in 1997.

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: May 19, 2014, 05:33:09 PM »
Please tell me they didn't include the part about what you see on the front of "the box" including the floppy disc drive.

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1379 on: May 19, 2014, 07:27:18 PM »
No, they quoted the bullet points at the end, including the one about using a modem.

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #1380 on: May 19, 2014, 07:33:40 PM »
Heh.  I remember the first time we used a modem to call another computer. We called the other family on the phone first to set it up so they'd have their computer on and ready. Then we hung up the phone and typed to each other.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: May 19, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
I like the scare apostrophes.
There's a missing 'carriage return' in the list of peripherals, combining printers and AV.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Nighthawk

• The White Rabbit
  • "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"
    • View Profile
    • Walk in the Dark
« Reply #1382 on: May 19, 2014, 09:39:13 PM »
I'm editing a short piece on computer literacy for people who work at Deseret Industries stores. It includes a link to this site (and quotes from it without attribution, of course). Judging from its companion page on the WorldWideWeb (WWW), I'd say it has to be at least 17 years old. It references Windows 95 and the Mosaic browser, which was discontinued in 1997.

A computer can work as a telephone, a television, a VCR, a CD player, a typewriter...

Yeah, technology's moved along a bit since then...

ETA: Oh gods, it gets worse. I feel old reading that.

The Web Information page linked to at the bottom is glorious.
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1383 on: May 27, 2014, 01:36:40 PM »
I hate getting client comments like this on documents I'm working on:

Are we going to label each as did w/slide 13... Trade Position - Male in these notes

First of all, it's basically gibberish. I have no idea what it means or why he wrote it in this strangely telegraphic form. Second, who is he even asking? He's the writer! It's not my job to decide what the content should be—it's his.

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: May 29, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »
I'm starting to enter your world of madness. Except I get the visual side of things. Today I was tasked with re-doing 19 eLearning modules that were built previously by an instructional designer who makes like $125 an hour and he billed it all to himself and burned through the budget before it was done.

So I get the joy of going in and re-working files to look good, which is a lot easier to do from the beginning because then you don't have to change the same tiny things on dozens of identical slides. (Isn't there a master slide function? Why yes, yes there is. And there are five separate masters in there that look basically the same and most of the styling isn't done on them.) And it's mind-blowingly bad. The font, size, and boldness of text in similar boxes will change on every single slide. In some slides everything randomly overlaps itself, and haphazard default colors are just thrown onto things.

Anyway - I'll gladly do it for pay, but why wasn't it billed out to a graphic designer in the first place?

The funny quote I came here to share, though, was a conversation between me and my superior:

Boss: I guess you have to scan it and send it back. But I don't think we have any scanners in here. Do you have an iPhone?
Me: No.
Boss: An Android phone?
Me: A flip phone.
Boss: Do they even still make flip phones?

Turns out the printer was also a scanner. Score one for the 21st century. Still not sure why we're in the digital media department and my timecards are on paper, though.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1385 on: May 29, 2014, 03:31:00 PM »
Your boss didn't know that the copiers are also scanners? Also, your timecards are on paper? Weird.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: May 29, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »
Your boss didn't know that the copiers are also scanners?
Sounds like he didn't know the printer is a multifunction machine.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1387 on: May 29, 2014, 04:28:40 PM »
If it's anything like ours, it looks like a big copier but it's also a printer and scanner. So yes, he didn't know that the printer/copier is also a scanner.

I'm just surprised that someone's boss in digital media wouldn't know that.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: May 29, 2014, 04:52:20 PM »
Your boss didn't know that the copiers are also scanners? Also, your timecards are on paper? Weird.
Seriously.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: May 29, 2014, 06:15:55 PM »
If it's anything like ours, it looks like a big copier but it's also a printer and scanner. So yes, he didn't know that the printer/copier is also a scanner.

I'm just surprised that someone's boss in digital media wouldn't know that.
I'm not.

Our copier can theoretically also be used as a scanner (and printer), but it lacks the right card and connection. Because of the contract we have, adding them would be quite expensive.

The much smaller machine which sits on my desk is both a printer and a scanner (and a copier, although it's rarely used for that purpose), but is only slightly larger than the printers which sit on my colleagues' desks. When we were shopping around for it, we looked at several models which looked even more like just a printer.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: May 29, 2014, 07:01:46 PM »
Ours was pretty obvious. To be fair, though, he's rather new and everything he ever does is digital.

I think my timecard is on paper because I'm an on-call employee. But seriously, friends.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1391 on: June 04, 2014, 01:07:42 PM »
I'm working on an awful form that is being revised by someone who apparently doesn't know what the form should say. This is how the instructions at the top read on the last iteration:

S&I leaders fill out this report at the end of the term or semester and submit the form to their supervisor. This report should then be taken to each regular results discussion with your supervisor. At the end of the school year, submit the completed form to your supervisor.

So submit it to your supervisor, and then take it to your supervisor, and then submit it to your supervisor. Got it.

Then it was completely rewritten this morning, so it now reads:

S&I leaders complete regular results discussions with their employees at the end of each term. Based on those discussions, supervisors evaluate and record the progress of their program/area on this form. They then submit this form to their supervisor prior to having their regular results discussion with their supervisor.

So now the supervisors (the S&I leaders' supervisor?) fill out the form, and then they submit it to their supervisor, and then they have a discussion with their (the supervisors'?) supervisor.

It's supervisors and regular results discussions all the way down.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: June 04, 2014, 03:51:59 PM »
Maybe you should ask your supervisor what it means. Clearly it's a document touched by management.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1393 on: June 04, 2014, 04:22:29 PM »
Except that my supervisor wouldn't know any more than I do—it's for a different department. But yes, definitely touched by management.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: June 04, 2014, 08:48:51 PM »
I was just trying to work in one more supervisor into the situation.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: June 05, 2014, 09:28:54 AM »
Can confirm: am editing training modules for translators. The answer to virtually every "quiz" question is "ask your supervisor."

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: June 05, 2014, 12:03:14 PM »
I wonder what the supervisors' training modules say.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: June 05, 2014, 10:30:12 PM »
The translators speak to the supervisors, the supervisors speak to the team leaders, and the team leaders speak to God.
-Aaron Kunin

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1398 on: June 18, 2014, 03:12:38 PM »
Writing this principle on the board will help students see its importance.

I never knew teaching was so easy—all you have to do is write stuff on the board, and the students will automatically see its significance all on their own!

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: June 18, 2014, 04:25:12 PM »
Oh heavens.