GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Quotes from work  (Read 180753 times)

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes from work
« Reply #900 on: January 14, 2011, 01:47:56 PM »
One of my coworkers noted that it's similar to asking someone to marry you in a text message.
Except that a telegraph was far more expensive, and thus a fairly extravagant gesture.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #901 on: January 14, 2011, 01:51:01 PM »
And another coworker suggested that maybe he didn't realize how much he missed her until after he'd left.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 14, 2011, 02:02:07 PM »
That's how it always works in the movies!
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 14, 2011, 02:10:54 PM »
That's how it always works in the movies!
But it often does not end favorably in the movies.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 14, 2011, 02:20:56 PM »
More often than not. They chase down the train, plane, automobile or what have you, and declare their love. Or follow after on the next train, plane, or automobile, and THEN declare their love.

Sometimes the person who has left is on foot, even. For example, Two Weeks Notice.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 14, 2011, 02:51:54 PM »
I just keep thinking "Dear Rolfe. Stop.  Don't Stop!"
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 14, 2011, 03:00:50 PM »
More often than not. They chase down the train, plane, automobile or what have you, and declare their love. Or follow after on the next train, plane, or automobile, and THEN declare their love.

Sometimes the person who has left is on foot, even. For example, Two Weeks Notice.
In a Chinese movie, he would have been shot down by Americans, struggled to get back to her, and been killed after trying to show someboy a kindness.

If he had survived, she would have died or else married another.  The movie would have ended with anything but them being married.  Or if they were married, it would have inadvertently brought on horrible consequences.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 14, 2011, 03:10:47 PM »
  :D

BB, the closest I've gotten (or am likely to get) to watching a Chinese movie was The Joy Luck Club.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 14, 2011, 03:28:02 PM »
  :D

BB, the closest I've gotten (or am likely to get) to watching a Chinese movie was The Joy Luck Club.
I really think you should give Not One Less a shot.  I don't know if it is still in Instant Queue, but it is one of the few with a happy ending.  Some other ones I have seen that end well that I highly recommend are Eat, Drink, Man, Woman. And, The Road Home, also, Together.  I think you could really enjoy those.  There is heart ache, but it's not as bad as some of the other Chinese movies I really enjoy.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 14, 2011, 03:46:02 PM »
I really think you should give Not One Less a shot. 
It appears to be in the saved potion of my instant queue. Maybe when it comes back on instant.

Some other ones I have seen that end well that I highly recommend are Eat, Drink, Man, Woman.
I saw the Hispanic version.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 14, 2011, 05:25:47 PM »
I'd never even heard of Tortilla soup, but the plot synopsis didn't interest me as much.  The ending to Eat, Drink, Man, Woman is one of the most powerful moments in film for me.  I just love the actors expressions, it chokes me up every time.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 14, 2011, 06:09:18 PM »
"The Road Home" was an excellent movie whose drama derives from emotion and not death. 
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 16, 2011, 12:11:16 PM »
The ending to Eat, Drink, Man, Woman is one of the most powerful moments in film for me.  I just love the actors expressions, it chokes me up every time.
Tortilla Soup has a pretty good ending as well.

I probably wouldn't have seen it, except UCLA did a special showing for alumni a few years back. My mom and I went, enjoyed the movie, met the actors, and salivated over the yummy-smelling (non-kosher, of course) food -- provided by the same famous chefs who did the food for the movie.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Mucus

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #913 on: January 18, 2011, 08:35:09 AM »
... If he had survived, she would have died or else married another.  The movie would have ended with anything but them being married.  Or if they were married, it would have inadvertently brought on horrible consequences.

Heh. I think I recall a funny interview where Jet Li was asked why he keeps on dying in his (mainland) Chinese films, my Google-fu fails me though so you'll have to take my word that it was amusing.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #914 on: January 18, 2011, 11:31:01 AM »
I just came across an unfortunate name: Hugh Pugh. It's especially funny because the name Pugh comes from ap Hugh, which is Welsh for "son of Hugh".

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: January 18, 2011, 11:32:18 AM »
Heh.  You said poo.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #916 on: January 18, 2011, 11:33:08 AM »
No, I said pyoo.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: January 18, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »
I just came across an unfortunate name: Hugh Pugh. It's especially funny because the name Pugh comes from ap Hugh, which is Welsh for "son of Hugh".
Sorta like John Johnson?

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #918 on: January 18, 2011, 12:06:34 PM »
Yup. It's exactly sorta like John Johnson.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 18, 2011, 12:20:32 PM »
Or Avraham Benavraham.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #920 on: January 18, 2011, 12:30:52 PM »
Or Ben benBen.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: January 18, 2011, 12:48:20 PM »
Or Ben benBen.
I was going to suggest that or John Johnson, but obviously ended up on the latter.

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: January 18, 2011, 01:39:48 PM »
"Maybe we should add that to our marketing scam.  Um, I mean scheme."
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: January 18, 2011, 01:40:46 PM »
Sorta like John Johnson?
Johnny Johnson was the nemesis of Jimmy James in News Radio.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Marianne Dashwood

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: January 21, 2011, 11:16:52 AM »
"The Road Home" was an excellent movie whose drama derives from emotion and not death. 

How did I miss this? The Road Home is probably my favorite movie of all time ever. I recommend it to anyone with tastes even vaguely similar to mine.

Not One Less, on the other had, I could take or leave. It's a little heavy handed for me. Together is lovely, though.

If you're not into martial arts, Rivka, you can stop there, but if you're OK with martial arts and like beautiful cinematography check out Hero and House of Flying Daggers.

This message was not, believe it or not, sponsored by the Zhang Yimou Fan Club.
Occam must be shaving in his grave.
-Pooka