GalacticCactus Forum

Poll

If you saw the name "Ellory," would you assume it belonged to a girl or a boy?

Girl
5 (29.4%)
Boy
12 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Author Topic: First impression  (Read 6168 times)

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
Re: First impression
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2011, 01:38:03 PM »
How do you feel about Taylor? 
Faaaaaaar too popular.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2011, 01:41:35 PM »
He is pretty popular, isn't he?
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2011, 01:50:43 PM »
How do you feel about Taylor? 
Faaaaaaar too popular.
I don't meet many boy Taylors.  I can probably count them on one hand, even with two fingers lopped off.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2011, 03:37:39 PM »
It may not have been a girls name when you got it, is the thing.  And it's one thing to be against bestowing gender ambiguous names as a parent, different to be against names already posessed by adults.  To me, the trouble with Taylor is not that it is gender ambiguous, but that it crossed over to being a girl name. 
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Marianne Dashwood

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2011, 03:44:12 PM »
Clem got it right. I was Morgan for most of my life. Now I'm Anneke, which is indeed Dutch, but which my Mom decided to Anglicize as /æ'nəki/. It does sound a lot like the Japanese word aniki (older brother) but I prefer to go by aneki (older sister) in Japanese because, well, I am the universal big sister after all.
Occam must be shaving in his grave.
-Pooka

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2011, 03:47:53 PM »
Also, I like that Clem pointed out to me the other day that one of my qualities is that I have "ethnic flava."
-Pooka

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2011, 03:50:13 PM »
Anneke is dutch, though.  I'm not sure why you'd pick up a Japanese name on a mission.  Aren't you supposed to go by Elder or Sister?
Yes, but many missionaries still get full Chinese/Japanes names and then use them after their missions.

edit: Also, Anneke sounds like a Japanes approximation of Annie.  This probably doesn't help but there's an anime where the older brother is called Anneke which means older brother in Japanese, with a bit of a twist on the pronounciation.

And actually, most missionaries don't get Japanese names. Because in Japan they just use katakana to write your English name, which is usually not too flattering. Most people will have someone pick kanji to approximate their name but I don't know of anyone who ever uses it.

Chinese is all kinds of different because they don't have enough phonemes to get anywhere close to most of our names ;)
-Pooka