GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Dear Expert  (Read 151563 times)

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Expert
« Reply #925 on: July 03, 2015, 09:15:33 AM »
Like shave and a haircut?  Or that's the end of the tune?  It would please me to fill in with Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obaaaaama.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 05, 2015, 08:27:26 PM »
Like shave and a haircut?  Or that's the end of the tune?  It would please me to fill in with Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obaaaaama.
That's the last few notes of the tune, and when I fill it in in my head, that's exactly how I do it.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 10, 2015, 09:39:59 AM »
Dear expert: the em dash is stupid, and I don't think I should have to waste my time putting it in.

"Oh my word, what did the author mean here? It seems she's possibly trying to separate two clauses but I will never know because she used a hyphen with spaces on either side!"
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #928 on: July 10, 2015, 09:29:28 PM »
It's not so much about meaning as it is about looking professionally designed and edited.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 29, 2015, 09:01:49 AM »
What's a good explanation of the difference (if any) between insure and ensure?

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #930 on: July 29, 2015, 09:03:47 AM »
There is no real difference. They're etymologically the same word, and insure because as a spelling variant. I think they're used interchangeably in the UK (or maybe they use insure for both), while in the US we've differentiated them. It's kind of a pointless distinction, in my opinion.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: July 29, 2015, 09:12:51 AM »
OK, good to know. My instinct is to use ensure when I'm not talking specifically about buying an insurance policy, and I'm re-writing a text that uses insure everywhere. But I guess it doesn't really matter which, then.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #932 on: July 29, 2015, 09:14:36 AM »
Well, it matters in the sense that the spellings are pretty standardized in the US. I would keep changing insure to ensure when not talking about some sort of insurance policy.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 14, 2015, 06:04:39 AM »
Does anyone else have a feeling that the word peg can be used to mean "hit"? Like, " He pegged her in the arm," or, more specifically, to hit someone with something thrown at them? Like, "He pegged her with a snowball."? I feel like I've heard that before but can't find any dictionary definitions that really bear that out. There's one in Merriam Webster that says "to throw," but that doesn't seem quite right. I'm not thinking of "He pegged the snowball," but rather "He pegged her with the snowball."

Anyway, I'm wondering if this slangy sounding use might possibly come from Spanish. I was learning about the verb pegar yesterday. I'm familiar with it in the context of working in the nursery at church and the other, Spanish speaking, teachers, telling the kids not to "pegar" each other. Then yesterday, a friend gave us a pot of leftover soup but told us not to heat it up in that same pot because it would "pegar." I was really confused and asked my husband about it, and he said it meant that it would stick to the pot. So I looked it up, and apparently it means "hit," "stick," and a thousand other things, including, my husband says, to have been a hit or have been popular, like "In the 80s, that hairstyle really pegó." Interesting word.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #934 on: September 14, 2015, 08:11:37 AM »
Yeah, I think I've heard that use before. It seems unlikely to me that it comes from Spanish, though. Peg already has a lot of uses in English that include hitting, so even if that particular use isn't captured by any dictionary, it probably still developed out of one of the existing uses in English.

Offline Keith

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: September 16, 2015, 01:02:25 PM »
If someone is presiding, is it always accurate to call them a president?  Or is President a title that must be designated first? 
I don't always enjoy cactuses, but when I do they are galactic.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #936 on: September 16, 2015, 01:10:20 PM »
I'd say it's a title that has to be designated. Just because Joe Schmoe presides over some committee at work doesn't mean he's President Schmoe.

Offline Keith

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 16, 2015, 01:34:06 PM »
Thanks!  That matches what I think I've seen, but I saw someone use the term "presider" and it made me wonder.  Looks like it's in the dictionary as the noun for one who presides, but I don't remember seeing it before.  I'll probably continue to use "boss". ;)
I don't always enjoy cactuses, but when I do they are galactic.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #938 on: September 16, 2015, 01:53:06 PM »
Yeah, even if it's a real word, "presider" is weird. I don't think I've ever seen it before either.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #939 on: September 16, 2015, 02:04:42 PM »
I'm usually a presidee at meetings.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 16, 2015, 09:19:01 PM »
I think the meeting itself is the presidee.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 17, 2015, 04:33:11 AM »
Yeah, even if it's a real word, "presider" is weird. I don't think I've ever seen it before either.

Huh. It's a perfectly normal word to me.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 17, 2015, 09:19:18 AM »
I would just word it as "the person who presides."

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 22, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »
It's comprehensible, but I've never heard it used, just as I've never heard escaper (which isn't actually what it sounds like).
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #944 on: October 06, 2015, 10:42:35 PM »
Why do I only hear about actions being preemptive, but never postemptive, or just emptive?
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #945 on: October 07, 2015, 07:58:23 AM »
You never hear them because nobody ever uses them. ;)

The root empt comes from the Latin emere 'to buy'. Emption means 'purchase', and preemption meant the right of someone to buy something first, and from there it came to mean doing something that stopped someone else from doing something. I guess nobody talks about postemption because there's no such thing as a right to buy something last. Emption appears to be limited to legal contexts.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: October 07, 2015, 09:42:04 PM »
Caveat emptor is a thing.  Is empty?  I'll see if i can check
Nope
1520s, from empty (adj.); replacing Middle English empten, from Old English geæmtigian. Related: Emptied; emptying.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: October 21, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
Is there a better way to construct this clunky sentence?

It's not actually a sentence, it's a bullet item. But nonetheless:

A Master Sanitation Cleaning Schedule (MSCS) that identifies areas of your operation, equipment, and utensils that require cleaning and sanitizing as well as the frequency at which this needs to occur.

Frequency at which or frequency with which? And what about the overall clunkiness? The fact that it's one item in a bullet list is making it hard for me to rewrite it as multiple sentences.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #948 on: October 21, 2015, 12:07:27 PM »
First, I think I'd say "frequency with which". "Frequency at which" makes it sound like you're talking about a radio broadcast.

And yeah, I think the biggest problem is that it needs to be multiple sentences but apparently can't be. Does "that require cleaning and sanitizing" apply to just utensils or to all of the preceding? I assume it's all of it, which makes rewriting a little harder.

How about this?

A Master Sanitation Cleaning Schedule (MSCS) that identifies everything that needs to be cleaned and sanitized (including areas of your operation, equipment, and utensils) and how often this needs to be done.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: October 21, 2015, 12:27:30 PM »
I do like that better. The other problem is that this is for an audio script, so I usually like to avoid parentheticals. There will be accompanying on-screen text, but I try to keep it outline-style and minimal and be as fluid and descriptive as possible in the audio narration.