GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Dear Expert  (Read 150923 times)

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Dear Expert
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2010, 07:12:24 PM »
It's called subject-auxiliary inversion, and among other things it occurs when you have a restrictive adverb at the beginning of the clause.  
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Dear Expert
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2010, 07:37:44 PM »
Thanks, Jonathon! I think it'll make sense if I explain it to them as another case similar to the yes-no questions. They already understand that.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Dear Expert
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2010, 07:37:30 PM »
Why don't we say usefuler? I just taught my class about comparatives and superlatives and gave them the standard rule of 1 or 2 syllables taking -er and -est and 3 or more syllables taking more or most. Their textbook told them that and told them that some words are irregular like good,bad and far. That's all the information they gave them and then one of their practice words was useful. I was afraid of it so I didn't use it as an exercise in class, but I'm looking over their homework and most of them got it right anyway: more useful.

But I can't find an explanation anywhere - why don't we say usefuler? The other words I could think of that end in -ful are bashful and fretful and I think those are both irregular like useful. Is that the rule, then? Words that end in -ful? So why didn't our textbook tell them that?
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Dear Expert
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2010, 07:53:56 PM »
The OED says,

In mod.Eng. the comparatives in -er are almost restricted to adjs. of one or two syllables; longer adjs., and also disyllables containing any suffix other than -y or -ly, having the periphrastic comparison by means of the adv. more.

So yes, it does appear to be the suffix that's blocking the addition of -er (but apparently almost any other suffix will too). I don't know why your textbook doesn't say that, except that language is so complex that it's impossible to capture all the important rules that govern its use in one textbook. I guess that rule just didn't make the cut.

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
Dear Expert
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2010, 08:26:40 PM »
It would be way easier to next time simply have your students born in America.
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Neutros the Radioactive Dragon

• Radiant Reptile
  • Dragons
    • View Profile
    • scatterfilter
Dear Expert
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2010, 08:29:04 PM »
I had to look up two of those words just to understand that quote. Yes. I betray my ignorance, I know, but... wow.

I need ice cream now.

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Dear Expert
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2010, 08:40:39 PM »
I'm guessing periphrastic was one, but what was the other?

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Dear Expert
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2010, 09:26:56 PM »
I don't mind the textbook not covering that particular exception, but then don't use it as one of their exercises!

And this textbook is even written by a native speaker.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Dear Expert
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2010, 09:27:15 PM »
Perhaps disyllable? I looked that one up (although I thought I knew what it might be), and the other.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 09:27:52 PM by rivka »
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Dear Expert
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »
Yeah, I guess the meaning of disyllable isn't necessarily obvious, even though it looks like it should be.

• Radiant Reptile
  • Dragons
    • View Profile
    • scatterfilter
Dear Expert
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2010, 10:20:05 PM »
Perhaps disyllable? I looked that one up (although I thought I knew what it might be), and the other.
Ding, ding, ding!

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Dear Expert
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2010, 11:52:18 PM »
On a random note, while researching this question my first thought was to google the word "usefuler." All of the results were non-helpful uses of the word on blogs and forums, except for one, which was a linguistics article that addressed the entire subject. It was written by my linguistics professor Dr. Elzinga. How often does googling a random question lead you straight to an answer by someone you're already facebook friends with?

• Radiant Reptile
  • Dragons
    • View Profile
    • scatterfilter
Dear Expert
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2010, 05:45:52 AM »
More and more often.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Dear Expert
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2010, 08:10:09 AM »
Hmmm. Curiouser and curiouser.

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Dear Expert
« Reply #64 on: June 09, 2010, 09:28:25 AM »
That's funny. Before I found the answer in the OED, I was thinking he'd be the perfect person to ask about that.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Dear Expert
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2010, 04:13:55 PM »
The narrow definition of irony became common knowledge due to the song by Alanis Morrisette, but I only knew it because of a line in "Reality Bites".  :hangs head in shame:

I don't buy that Morrisette was striving for meta-irony in her song.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: Dear Expert
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2010, 06:44:35 PM »
How common is the spelling technic vs. technique? I've only seen it twice - once on one of my piano books I learned from as a teenager. I thought it was a horrid example of anglophones' lack of spelling ability, but then looked it up to be surprised that it was a legitimate variation. I just saw if for the second time on a friend's facebook page for some education enterprise called "Learning Technics." (Part of my rancor is boiling right now at the claims they're making about learning, but I might be able to stay cool enough to ask about their theoretical backing to maybe be convinced of their legitimacy) It really rubs me the wrong way; like, "why should you think that people would come to you as education experts when you're using such an infuriating spelling?" But maybe that's totally irrational of me. Is there a marked difference in usage as far as anyone knows?

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2010, 07:10:45 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing that before. The OED says this about technic (which it says is pronounced /'tɛknɪk/, not /tɛk'nik/ so it's not simply an alternate spelling of technique):
2. Chiefly U.S.

a. Technical details or methods collectively; the formal or practical aspect of an art, science, or subject; (also) practical skill in the application of this. Now rare.
Largely superseded by technique.

b. A technical method; a scientific procedure.
Largely superseded by technique.

So I guess that answers your question: it's not a weird spelling but a slightly different word that has mostly been replaced by technique.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2010, 11:38:09 PM »
So if they insist on pronouncing it the same as technique and treat it as an identical word am I justified in thinking them slight imbeciles who don't really read much?

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2010, 09:28:44 AM »
Judging by the number of people on the forums who have admitted to mispronouncing words because they read them and had never heard them (or had never connected the written and spoken forums), I'm going to suggest that the issue isn't necessarily a lack of reading. But I'd probably find it irksome too.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2010, 03:26:25 AM »
I like this expert's answer to how to pluralize octopus. It gives me hope for the dear-to-my-heart syllabuses.

Offline Scott R

• Mr. Astounding
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2010, 06:26:57 AM »
That's great.

She needs to keep her hands down, though.  This ain't no kung-fu movie.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2010, 06:45:35 AM »
Really?  I liked the hands.  They seemed charming to me.  Or maybe she was just charming, and that charm spilled over onto her hands.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2010, 12:38:01 PM »
Really?  I liked the hands.  They seemed charming to me.
Agreed. But speaking with one's hands is a common Jewish (and bi-coastal) trait; not so much among American Midwesterners. Which is why it looks normal to us, and not to Scott.

Or else Scott's just being weird again.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2010, 02:12:20 PM »
What do American Midwesterners do with their hands whilst talking?
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon