GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Language Acquisition  (Read 11299 times)

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Re: Language Acquisition
« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2015, 09:27:20 PM »
Go Cedar!  What kind of things is he asking for?
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2016, 06:48:14 PM »
Cheese, eggs, ice cream, pizza, cookies.  He is saying hungry and careful quite often, too.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2016, 12:19:16 PM »
Yay!
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2016, 04:51:29 AM »
This week he's been repeating more and more things, especially multiple word phrases like car cart.  He says (and signs) "stop and go" which is one of the songs on Potty Time, which he's really excited about (a potty themed episode by Signing Time).  And last night when I was getting him ready for bed he said "nigh nigh" several times.  It feels like he's really picking up steam.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2016, 05:46:42 AM »
Woohoo! Go Cedar!

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2016, 12:20:01 PM »
 :)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2016, 08:37:12 PM »
That must feel so awesome for both of you!

Robo is also just getting going with speech. Mostly things like "mih-mih" for milk or "Gam" for El Guapo, but it's cute. And he can identify some of his body parts ("belly" and "feet" are the cutest).

Watching a child learn to speak never gets old. It's a discovery every time.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2016, 04:53:34 PM »
This wee we have zizzo (zero) fistbump, and today he started crying and grabbed my hand to wipe his tears which was weird but cute.

Feb 6: this week I thought he signed and said mom, so I signed and said mom, and he signed and said dada.  He will do the dada part pretty reliably now.  I guess another thing he's added is saying "I see you" after peekaboo.  But it's more like "zz zzz zzz see you!"

Feb 12:  He's saying things he sees on videos without being prompted.  I suppose it bears mentioning, I put the video on so we could use our keyboards because he's occupying them to type numbers as he says them, which is great but a little counterproductive for our modern lifestyle.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2016, 01:07:01 PM »
Worthy of a fresh reply:  Cedar is saying "five" with some sort of bilabial consonant at the front.  It's kind of an unaspirated p, but we wondered if he was going to say haaah forever.  Six, I think, is also stopped being multisyllabic. 

Feb 28: he signed sorry last night, which I thought was really cute.  He also does hurt, but he does the whole routine from the video showing his head and stomach.  I think he's probably close a 200 word vocab, which is usual for age 2 (he'll be 5 in March). 

3/7: Thank you with sign.  Water, milk, toast but these are just CV.  There was one I forgot and then I remembered when I was backing out the car and now I've forgotten again.  I really hate that I can remember what I was doing when I remembered the word but not what the word was. 

3/14: signed potty and said something along those lines\
3/15 signed and said book.

The signing is interesting because he wasn't really into signing time until a couple of months ago, he found the potty time DVD in the basement and wanted to watch it, and every since then he's been pretty interested in all signing time videos.  And he's started signing "my body is amazing" in church a couple of times, though you can't really make it out if you don't know what he's doing, which is perhaps fortunate.  He also asks for Shee shee, which seems to be Shaun the Sheep.

3/21 Soda.  I guess that settles what our family calls that.   

4/4 help, bear (including signs) and count.

4/9 popcorn (just saying, but very cute).  He was naming a lot of letters last night, previous I'd only seen him reliable with is own name. Signing "wash hands" but not saying it too good.  And I just saw on signing time (after he went to bed) that he's signed wash clothes a number of times but I haven't understood him. :mellow:

4/11 truck, something resembling "aaron burr" (because we were eating cookies with milk and the kids were saying "aawon buww") and possibly "omigosh".  Now he's trying to whistle.
4/16 watermelon, which was fun because later at a potluck he got some.  He also read P.E. off my screen. 

5/19: a couple of weeks ago he said "Rudy, get down now" after I said "Let's go now".  It's interesting because it was a few words, and not from a video.  He was saying "touch" very clearly, which was a good CVCC type thing.  Today I thought of words he know involved most alphabet sounds, though his F isn't too good.

6/2:  Using some two word phrases, like vitamin C and chocolate milk. 

5/29 Cedar bowed his head and closed his eyes during prayers at church.  I guess I wasn't.  ;)