GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: How many ways can you find to spell "Qaddafi"?  (Read 7906 times)

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
How many ways can you find to spell "Qaddafi"?
« on: August 26, 2011, 07:44:10 AM »
The New York Times spells it "Qaddafi", but I've seen more variants of that name than I have of "Chanukah".  How does your news source spell the name of the Libyan tyrant?
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: How many ways can you find to spell "Qaddafi"?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 08:57:08 AM »
I like Ghaddafi, but I'd have the check the Arabic.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:08:31 AM »
Qaddafi is the best option.  It is a voiced velar stop, written by Arabists as Q, and the d is geminate (ending one syllable and then beginning the next).  GH is a voiced... not sure where I'm making it but it's back there somewhere.  It's similar to the consonant in his first name that we make between the ua.  But Muammar gets the average journalist pretty close, while Muchammar would result in abominations.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Marianne Dashwood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:15:17 AM »
I've seen Gaddafi, but I think that's because whoever wrote that one didn't know how to represent the Arabic Q sound.

Is there a standard Romanization for Arabic, or are there several and one that's most popular? (I'm guessing that's what you meant by saying it's the way Arabists would write it)

I think it's about time we figured out a standard Romanization for everything, just to keep the world on the same page. (Taiwan, I'm glaring at you.)
Occam must be shaving in his grave.
-Pooka

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:20:45 AM »
I think it's about time we figured out a standard Romanization for everything, just to keep the world on the same page. (Taiwan, I'm glaring at you.)
*Joins Annie's glaring*

Though lets be honest, until Journalists stop spelling it Peking, we're never going to sleep at night.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 09:24:27 AM »
There are different systems of romanizing Arabic, but q is pretty accepted for that particular letter.  The challenge is whether you want to be very accurate and use the IPA or have something people can produce using a typewriter.  Heck, English doesn't even have a foolproof system for romanizing pronunciation. 

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 09:30:15 AM »
I think it's about time we figured out a standard Romanization for everything, just to keep the world on the same page.
No, because then I'll have to stick to the "standard" ones for Hebrew, and I think several of them are stupid.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 09:32:52 AM »
Well, a good Romanization system doesn't have to represent pronunciation (that's what the IPA is for), it just has to be consistent. English orthography doesn't tell you much about how to say a word, but if you see it written somewhere you can look it up in a dictionary somewhere else.

There was a teacher at my school in Taiwan who railed against Hanyu Pinyin because it "didn't make any sense. A q? Q doesn't make that sound. How will foreigners know how to say it?" Well, the thing is, Hanyu Pinyin is far easier for a foreigner who's learned it to read because it's consistent. You can't represent Mandarin sounds with English letters anyway - there's no use trying to make it "readable." And the way Wade-Giles goes about it, using the letters ch to represent like four different sounds, is confusing and ridiculous.

</rant that no one but BB will care about>
-Pooka

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:43:32 AM »
Qaddafi is the best option.  It is a voiced velar stop, written by Arabists as Q, and the d is geminate (ending one syllable and then beginning the next).  GH is a voiced... not sure where I'm making it but it's back there somewhere.  It's similar to the consonant in his first name that we make between the ua.  But Muammar gets the average journalist pretty close, while Muchammar would result in abominations.

I thought the letter transliterated as q was uvular, not velar. But I have no idea what letter it actually is in his name.

And I agree with Annie that standard romanization would be really useful. It's just unfortunate that such a limited alphabet came to be used for so many languages it wasn't designed for.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:37 AM »
Well, to be fair, some of those languages aren't particularly suited to an alphabet at all.
-Pooka

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2011, 09:50:57 AM »
Well, a good Romanization system doesn't have to represent pronunciation (that's what the IPA is for), it just has to be consistent.
For linguists. For the rest of us hoi polloi, Anglicized spellings absolutely SHOULD indicate pronunciation.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »
Well, to be fair, some of those languages aren't particularly suited to an alphabet at all.

Very true.

For linguists. For the rest of us hoi polloi, Anglicized spellings absolutely SHOULD indicate pronunciation.

But we're talking about romanized spellings, not anglicized spellings. Anglicized spellings are great for telling English speakers (roughly) how to pronounce something, but they're pretty useless for the rest of the roman-alphabet-using world.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2011, 10:37:20 AM »
Well, a good Romanization system doesn't have to represent pronunciation (that's what the IPA is for), it just has to be consistent.

But they can't. Not even in other languages that use our alphabet. Can you read Swedish and know what the vowels are supposed to sound like? Chinese has many consonants that we don't even have - how can you distinguish between the sound they represent as j and the sound they represent as zh when they both sound like j to the English speaker? And you have to, otherwise you're calling a sheet of paper a piece of ginger.
-Pooka

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2011, 10:40:58 AM »
But they can't. Not even in other languages that use our alphabet. Can you read Swedish and know what the vowels are supposed to sound like? Chinese has many consonants that we don't even have - how can you distinguish between the sound they represent as j and the sound they represent as zh when they both sound like j to the English speaker? And you have to, otherwise you're calling a sheet of paper a piece of ginger.

Which exemplifies the point I made above: romanization is not the same thing as anglicization.

Offline Nighthawk

• The White Rabbit
  • "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"
    • View Profile
    • Walk in the Dark
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 11:18:57 AM »
I spell it "Loon".
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 12:04:48 PM »
Well, a good Romanization system doesn't have to represent pronunciation (that's what the IPA is for), it just has to be consistent. English orthography doesn't tell you much about how to say a word, but if you see it written somewhere you can look it up in a dictionary somewhere else.

There was a teacher at my school in Taiwan who railed against Hanyu Pinyin because it "didn't make any sense. A q? Q doesn't make that sound. How will foreigners know how to say it?" Well, the thing is, Hanyu Pinyin is far easier for a foreigner who's learned it to read because it's consistent. You can't represent Mandarin sounds with English letters anyway - there's no use trying to make it "readable." And the way Wade-Giles goes about it, using the letters ch to represent like four different sounds, is confusing and ridiculous.

</rant that no one but BB will care about>
*nods head* Though I wonder if it's really as impossible as we think. I mean the "Q" sound we could spell as "Ch". The "Xi" sound we could spell as "Shee" But I completely agree, what matters is consistansy, and the Han Yu romanization works just fine.

Though I do wonder how it is that 佛 is "fo" and 多 is "duo" why isn't the former "fuo" or why isn't the latter "do"?
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 12:27:04 PM »
I don't really know anything about Chinese phonology, but from what I've read on Wikipedia, I'm impressed that they can distinguish between alveolar, retroflex, and alveolo-palatal voiceless affricants.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 12:30:18 PM »
I don't really know anything about Chinese phonology, but from what I've read on Wikipedia, I'm impressed that they can distinguish between alveolar, retroflex, and alveolo-palatal voiceless affricants.
And I'm impressed you are able to just toss out four words of which I have no idea what their meanings are in any context.

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 12:31:00 PM »
I think the whole notion of trying to pin down a correct (or standard) spelling in the roman alphabet for a word from a language that doesn't use the roman alphabet is both humorous and doomed to failure.

Personally, I kinda like that there are multiple spellings of Kadaffi floating around.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 12:33:38 PM »
All I know is that I wouldn't want to be in a Scrabble game with him.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »
Me neither.

I wouldn't want to be in any Scrabble game with anybody.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 12:37:37 PM »
 :cry:

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 12:43:57 PM »
Especially you!
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 12:48:03 PM »

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 12:52:09 PM »
Better.
Tomorrow Poster