GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Holey Cwap  (Read 7625 times)

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Holey Cwap
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2010, 11:20:18 PM »
But it seems as though they must have a term for the category when discussing which of the varieties is best, or weighing their various qualities.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Holey Cwap
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2010, 08:53:15 AM »
Hey! Turns out that "Bleu" is a term for the category. (Under "B" there is the category "Bleus")
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Holey Cwap
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2010, 08:54:55 AM »
Hmmm... however, Roquefort, which I thought was a Bleu, is listed on its own. Maybe the French definition of bleu is a lot narrower than we would think.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline fugu13

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Holey Cwap
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2010, 09:10:05 AM »
That's just a way of grouping terms that start with the same word. Roquefort is a bleu cheese, but its name does not start with Bleu, so it isn't put under the Bleu alphabetical grouping.

But yes, bleu is a term for the type of cheese. I don't know how you'd generally refer to it in France, but "fromage bleu" does return a good number of hits on google.fr.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Holey Cwap
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »
Today as I was grading the spelling tests the teacher started quizzing the kids on presidents of the US, going up from first.  I was transfixed by this.  I should really learn them, anyway.  
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Holey Cwap
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2010, 05:16:06 PM »
*sings* "Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Madison Monroe and Adams....."

Of course, when I learned it, that song ended with "Bush makes 41 presidents"

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Holey Cwap
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2010, 05:48:08 PM »
I was showing my children the Queen Elizabeth with presidents series and finally realized LBJ was missing.

Offline spacepook

• Power Tool Freak
    • View Profile
Holey Cwap
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 04:18:12 PM »
Wow pooka.  Just... wow. ;)  
"As Margaret watched the proceedings, she was struck by a deep, primal desire.  A desire for brains.  Juicy, juicy brains . . ." ~Tante

If you can't move your vowels, maybe you should get more fiver. ~AFR

Offline spacepook

• Power Tool Freak
    • View Profile
Re: Holey Cwap
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »
Today, I was doing some correcting for my Teacher Aid class.  A seventh grader had written their name, and next to it put "apsint".  :facepalm:
"As Margaret watched the proceedings, she was struck by a deep, primal desire.  A desire for brains.  Juicy, juicy brains . . ." ~Tante

If you can't move your vowels, maybe you should get more fiver. ~AFR

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 06:29:06 AM »
Gotta give the student points for gumption.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: Holey Cwap (2011 posts page 2)
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 07:34:12 AM »
Word I hadn't seen before on this week's spelling list:  Shambolic

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2014, 07:18:48 AM »
Shouldn't the rule be "i before e except after c or before silent g"?  It's tough because chief looks like a meta-exception to most people but if you know phonetics, it isn't. 

Offline Sputnik

• Veteran Member
  • The question is: What's the question?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 08:08:27 PM »
Speaking of I before E, I recently had an argument with a player of a game I played today in the comments section, where he spelled "weird" wrong, he spelled it "wierd" and when I proceeded to correct him, he said "no, no, no, you have it wong it's wierd becawse I before E except after C how did you pass kindergarten?", then I replied "Can Others reply to this comment and agree with me that he spelled "weird" wrong?", then I saw the "5 others typing" text and I was like "Yes, this dude will get owned!" but then they say stuff like "No it's spelled "Wierd".  Dude, learn basic engrish" and "You cannot violate a rule.  It would be like breaking the law of gravity.  It's spelled wierd whether you like it or not because I before E".  I then facepalmed myself so hard I got a concussion.   :grumble:

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2014, 08:10:50 AM »
Next time, post a link to a dictionary entry. It's hard to argue with that.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Sputnik

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2014, 02:15:02 PM »
Hey, that's a good idea!

Offline Keith

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2014, 07:24:35 PM »
"No it's spelled "Wierd".  Dude, learn basic engrish" and "You cannot violate a rule.  It would be like breaking the law of gravity.  It's spelled wierd whether you like it or not because I before E".

Those both seem to me like sarcasm.
I don't always enjoy cactuses, but when I do they are galactic.

Offline Sputnik

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2014, 08:09:30 PM »
Eh, perhaps they are, but it's still irritating as crap, and my mind registered them as actual stupidity, and it triggered an allergic reaction in me, thanks to my allergy to stupidity.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »
Sometimes we leave subtitles on and I see movie lines I never really thought through before.  Like in Lilo and Stitch, after Stitch flattens all the truck tires, the driver jumps out and says "What we went hit?"  Where is that a thing?  Well, Hawaii, apparently.