GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: You keep on using that word  (Read 32450 times)

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: You keep on using that word
« Reply #150 on: November 26, 2014, 12:09:54 PM »
Annie Subjunctive.

It was funny! (a couple weeks late. Sorry, sometimes when I'm busy I neglect this side of the forum.)
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 22, 2015, 07:17:01 PM »
Today I saw a truck with a name for a landscaping service.  Prosecutive.  I think they were going for professional + executive.  But maybe they prosecute weeds.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #152 on: September 22, 2015, 07:33:58 PM »
A while back I saw an advertisement for a company called something like Honest Stump Removal. It made me wonder what a dishonest stump removal company would be like. Like, they say they removed the stump, but they really didn't?
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 23, 2015, 06:11:41 AM »
Perhaps they meant they only remove honest stumps.  If you've got a cheatin' lyin' stump you need to call someone else.

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 23, 2015, 06:24:26 AM »
A while back I saw an advertisement for a company called something like Honest Stump Removal. It made me wonder what a dishonest stump removal company would be like. Like, they say they removed the stump, but they really didn't?
I would assume dishonesty about how things like how much they charge, hidden fees, when they show up, how long it will take, etc..
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2015, 01:42:03 PM »
I'm reading about Nursing diagnoses (which are descriptions of things nurses are licensed to help you with.)  I was puzzled as to what ineffective denial means.  I guess they mean denial denial.  Ineffective denial sounds like... reality.

P.S.  Then again, "disturbed energy field" is apparently a nursing diagnosis.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2015, 02:55:21 PM »
A lot of Nursing Theory is just messed up.  Which theory does your school hold by?  Mine went by Orem's Universal Self Care Requisites.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 25, 2015, 05:19:28 PM »
Benner seems quite popular. 

I was thinking a good nursing diagnosis would be risk of damaged calm, related to the whole planet being dead for no reason. 

On further reading, I learn the "related" factor also has to be within the realm of nursing.  So it's probably risk of damage calm, related to the girl being right. 

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #158 on: September 26, 2015, 07:25:18 PM »
Start it out with "Potential for" and you're right on track.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 28, 2015, 12:20:02 PM »
I should point out to the non nurses that that was the only nursing diagnosis in the list that dealt with energy fields.  Most of the rest of it was more amenable to evidence based practice.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 28, 2015, 01:05:27 PM »
On a tangential note, I recently started going to a physical therapist as the latest in my years-long feud with my SI joint. It's been pretty effective and helpful, but I found it funny that during my last visit a comment on how cute my toddler is ("Thanks! He only looks angelic; it doesn't extend to his temper.") morphed into a discussion in which the therapist informed me that the children being born recently are "totally crystalline" and this makes sense considering the Age of Aquarius.

I have to admit that my confidence started to waver a little, but it seems like the actual fact-based part of her work seems to be holding its own. Kind of like my old massage therapist who taught me about the people who live inside the earth but also cured my carpal tunnel, so hey.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 28, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »
I would be interested to know more about that particular intersection of venn diagrams, though - medical professionals who are also into hoodoo voodoo stuff. They would be interesting people to watch a documentary about.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 28, 2015, 05:11:53 PM »
I almost said voodoo up above, but worried it was insulting to voodoo. 
I've met a couple of psychiatrists who believe that Bush orchestrated 9/11.  I don't know if they just have an odd baseline, or if I'm the dupe.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 29, 2015, 03:00:57 PM »
That's why I said "hoodoo voodoo," hoping it wouldn't impugn either hoodoo or voodoo.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: October 20, 2015, 03:03:09 PM »
I've used the phrase "hats off" a couple of times in the last 24 hours and now am wondering if it is similar in meaning to "bless your heart."  I've been using it to try and express admiration for people who do things I consider hard, such as Brinestone canning and my friend who ran a marathon.  Or maybe it was a half marathon.  But definitely something I am not tempted to accomplish. 

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2015, 11:22:54 AM »
I wouldn't say that's what "bless your heart" means at all, but the examples you give are exactly what "hats off" means. It's a simple commendation of something hard or admirable with maybe a little bit of an "I could never do that" connotation, but nothing beyond that.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2015, 11:28:50 AM »
"Bless your heart," in my experience, which is mostly with aunts from Texas, is something you use more to express pity and sympathy. When it's used directly to someone it's a direct show of either sympathy for a bad situation or acknowledgement of good intentions, such as,

"Aww, you were home sick all week! Bless your heart. You take it easy now, don't push yourself to come back too soon."

"Oh, bless your heart, this cake turned out just fine, I don't think anyone even notice that you didn't have time to add the fondant flowers."

When it's used to talk about someone who isn't there, it is usually a softening of a criticism by acknowledging that the person really was trying their hardest or had the right intentions. That can get a little strained when it turns into an attempt to make oneself feel better for gossiping or criticizing, but the intent of the phrase is still the same.

Two examples, one mild and one straining to make oneself not appear too harsh:

"Oh, bless her heart, she stayed up all night finishing that cake but it just ended up so dry and no one really wanted to eat it."

"Karen, bless her heart, just tries to wear clothes that she can't really pull off at her size."

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 21, 2015, 01:29:07 PM »
I'm sorry, but don't you know that all of you Mormons are going to Hell, bless your hearts?
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2015, 02:14:30 PM »
My experience matches Annie's regarding those phrases.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 22, 2015, 05:36:10 PM »
One of the Friday takeout specials this week is apparently a "melody of vegetables".

:blink:
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #170 on: December 22, 2015, 05:41:14 PM »
Well, you know, beans are the musical fruit . . .
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 22, 2015, 05:51:24 PM »
Pretty sure this is things like squash, onions, eggplant, peppers -- not so much legumes.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 25, 2015, 03:40:14 PM »
creative non-fiction

Based on true events!
-Aaron Kunin

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 03, 2016, 08:35:32 PM »
Artisan Wine Depot

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 10, 2018, 04:19:10 PM »
100th decimal place (e.g., 1.99)
:blink:
-Aaron Kunin