GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: "Wouldja"  (Read 3067 times)

Offline saxon75

• View Profile
    • http://www.sakeriver.com
"Wouldja"
« on: July 20, 2009, 06:02:08 PM »
A lot of people, myself included, have a tendency of slurring over certain final consonants, as exemplified by the title of this thread.  I find that I often say "would joo," keeping "would" and the vowel part of "you" as normal but slipping on the Y.

I'm curious: what's this phenomenon called in linguistic terms?  And is this something that's likely to become a permanent feature of the language over time, or is it more regional?
Bah weep granah weep ninni bong.

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
"Wouldja"
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:45:32 PM »
1.  I don't know how to do proper lists at GC.

2.  I don't know the answers to either of your questions.

3.  I suspect it's been happening almost since the beginning of language.  Heck, birds probably even do it.

4.  It probably makes things really hard on adult learners of new languages.

5.  It's probably the main reason we will eventually become telepathic.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 06:45:48 PM by The Genuine »
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
"Wouldja"
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 07:36:52 PM »
A lot of people, myself included, have a tendency of slurring over certain final consonants, as exemplified by the title of this thread.  I find that I often say "would joo," keeping "would" and the vowel part of "you" as normal but slipping on the Y.

I'm curious: what's this phenomenon called in linguistic terms?  And is this something that's likely to become a permanent feature of the language over time, or is it more regional?
That particular phenomenon really has nothing to do with it being a final consonant. It's simply the combination of /d/ followed by /j/, which causes the /d/ to palatalize to /d?/. The same sound change can happen anywhere in a word, I believe.

I'm a little confused by your second question. Are you talking about the pronunciation of "wouldja" in particular? It's certainly possible that it could become a permanent feature, but I don't think the question of whether it's regional is really relevant. Something can become a permanent regional feature, or it could spread over the whole language.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline saxon75

• View Profile
"Wouldja"
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:59:10 PM »
I just mean that I think that, currently, there are very few people, if any, who would consider that pronunciation to be correct, despite the fact that it's perfectly understandable.  Like, nobody, hearing "Would you," would correct the person saying, "No, it's pronounced 'wouldja.'"  I was just wondering if that's something that might change.

I had a psych prof in college who claimed that some day "nucular" would become the standard pronunciation of the word "nuclear."  I don't know if that's true or not, but it seems like an analogous scenario.

Anyway, is there no specific linguistic term for this example of palatalization?  And what about the combination of /t/ followed by /j/ becoming /t?/?  To me these seem like examples of the same phenomenon.

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
"Wouldja"
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »
Even if both of those become the standard pronunciations, that's a far cry from having the current standard pronunciations be considered incorrect.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline saxon75

• View Profile
"Wouldja"
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:40:45 PM »
I'm pretty sure that there are English words whose pronunciations have changed to the point where the original standard pronunciations would now be considered incorrect.  I could be wrong though--I certainly can't think of any off the top of my head.

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
"Wouldja"
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 09:14:18 PM »
3. I suspect it's been happening almost since the beginning of language. Heck, birds probably even do it.
Bees do it. Even educated fleas do it.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline sweet clementine

• nigh unto importance
    • View Profile
"Wouldja"
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 01:08:37 AM »
For some reason I feel like the ignorant and ineducated fleas would be more prone to this than the enlightened fleas.  Just a thought...
"I must be due for a mighty smiting sometime soon." ~Annie

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
"Wouldja"
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 01:50:41 AM »
I'm pretty sure that there are English words whose pronunciations have changed to the point where the original standard pronunciations would now be considered incorrect.  I could be wrong though--I certainly can't think of any off the top of my head.
From what I understand "knight" didn't used to have silent letters.  They were all pronounced, the "k", the "g", the whole lot of them.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 01:51:06 AM by Tante Shvester »
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
"Wouldja"
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 07:34:01 AM »
And what about the combination of /t/ followed by /j/ becoming /t?/? To me these seem like examples of the same phenomenon.
You betcha they are!
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
"Wouldja"
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 07:36:12 AM »
I'm pretty sure that there are English words whose pronunciations have changed to the point where the original standard pronunciations would now be considered incorrect.  I could be wrong though--I certainly can't think of any off the top of my head.
Sure, but that's a process that took centuries, right?
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline The Genuine

• View Profile
"Wouldja"
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 08:39:21 AM »
Forte?
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline saxon75

• View Profile
"Wouldja"
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 11:17:37 AM »
Sure, but that's a process that took centuries, right?
I don't know, though that certainly seems plausible.  I suspect that this phenomenon I'm asking about has been around for a long time, too, though.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
"Wouldja"
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »
I just mean that I think that, currently, there are very few people, if any, who would consider that pronunciation to be correct, despite the fact that it's perfectly understandable.  Like, nobody, hearing "Would you," would correct the person saying, "No, it's pronounced 'wouldja.'"  I was just wondering if that's something that might change.
I suppose it's possible, but it seems unlikely to me. For one thing, this example occurs at a word boundary, so the change only happens with that particular pair of words, and for another thing it mostly occurs in rapid or casual speech, not in all speech. Though it wouldn't be surprising if /dj/ became /d?/ within words.

Anyway, is there no specific linguistic term for this example of palatalization?  And what about the combination of /t/ followed by /j/ becoming /t?/?  To me these seem like examples of the same phenomenon.
I don't think there's a term for that specific example. Usually terms for sound changes refer to classes of sound changes, like voicing or gliding or frication, rather than particular changes like /dj/ > /d?/. You could also call this change affrication, which refers to the manner of articular of the new sound, whereas palatalization refers to the place of articulation. But maybe you already knew that.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
"Wouldja"
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »
If you go back far enough, virtually every word in the language has changed this much. Though I suppose that if you go back too far, you wouldn't be talking about English anymore but rather about West Germanic or Proto-Indo-European or something.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
"Wouldja"
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »
Forte?
There are still plenty of people who insist that forte should rhyme with fort. I think they're a dying breed, though.

Offline The Genuine

• View Profile
"Wouldja"
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 08:50:31 AM »
Yes, but I don't think it took "centuries."

See the pronounciation note:  http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/forte
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
"Wouldja"
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 09:26:06 AM »
I think you're right. I've heard that most of the Great Vowel Shift happened in only two or three generations.