GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Language Crossovers  (Read 4730 times)

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Language Crossovers
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 02:02:49 PM »
It is very common for children here to recognize brand logos and signs (McDonald's Golden Arches, for example) before they can read.  That way, they can clamor for a Happy Meal when they see the big yellow "M".
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Language Crossovers
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 03:20:35 PM »
The hypothetical vocabulary I am thinking of would be single radical idiograms for everyday nouns and those involved in common sayings.  
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
Language Crossovers
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 03:27:07 PM »
You still haven't answered my question -- is this anything more than hypothetical?  Have you seen this happen?
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Language Crossovers
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2009, 03:28:13 PM »
I haven't seen it happen, but another example would be that people can learn numbers without becoming functionally literate.  Numbers are a much more restricted set of symbols.

The dumb thing is that functional literacy actually circles back to the same principle of shape processing that idiograms rely on - thinking of that spam where they scramble all but the first and last letter of a word and you can still read it.  The effect is even more pronounced in handwriting.

P.S.  I've also been contemplating how this relates to Peircean Semiotics.  Going back to the relationship between Cantonese and Mandarin, one theory would be that the visual sign is primary to the verbal sign.  
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:52:47 PM by pooka »
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline saxon75

• View Profile
    • http://www.sakeriver.com
Language Crossovers
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2009, 04:49:15 PM »
You say that it seems likely that people surrounded by idiographic writing will  pick it up through exposure.  I'm asking if you have any knowledge of this actually happening.
I have a hard time imagining that it could be avoided.  People pick up stuff like the symbols on bathroom doors pretty readily, for example.
Bah weep granah weep ninni bong.

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
Language Crossovers
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2009, 04:55:41 PM »
Of course, the important part of the question is whether it happens more with idiographic writing than with alphabetic writing.  
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Language Crossovers
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2009, 05:14:01 PM »
I would think that if people were just picking things up by exposure, EXIT would be just as easy to pick up as ??.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Language Crossovers
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2009, 12:24:26 PM »
EXIT in white letters on red or green, sure.  Most of my children have been able to identify that one before they could read.  Exit and exit, not so much.