GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: I don't have an accent  (Read 14006 times)

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
I don't have an accent
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:02:58 AM »
When I lived in Utah, I heard people talk about how Utah English was "neutral" English, without a discernible accent, and thus perfect for TV, movies, etc..  No, no, said many others.  Accent-wise, it's how people speak in Colorado that's most accessible to Americans.

Now, I discover that out here in western Oregon, folks think that no, it's right here where people speak without an accent.  
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
I don't have an accent
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 11:28:17 AM »
Yup. Everyone thinks what they speak is free from an accent. Apparently, "accentless" American English is spoken somewhere around Ohio.

This is a bit of a tangent, but are there any languages that are spoken by so few that the speakers can truly say they don't speak with an accent? In other words, so small that all the speakers pronounce the language the same and use the same vocabulary?
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline Neutros the Radioactive Dragon

• Radiant Reptile
  • Dragons
    • View Profile
    • scatterfilter
I don't have an accent
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 11:35:29 AM »
Some dialects seem to be more subtle than others.  Although I seem to have a midwestern accent, when speaking to friends and family I like to use my "California Drawl". (Like, ya' know?)

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
I don't have an accent
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 11:37:37 AM »
To be even tangenter, I'm always surprised when I'm reminded that you're from Canada, Brinestone, because I think of you as being from Colorado.  
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
I don't have an accent
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 11:45:58 AM »
I'm from both.

I lived in Canada for the first six years of my life. I lived in rural Maryland for the next five. I lived in Colorado for the next six. I have now lived in Utah for almost eight years, so I guess I'm more a Utahn than anything else.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
I don't have an accent
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 12:29:33 PM »
Apparently, "accentless" American English is spoken somewhere around Ohio.
From what I understand, that's not exactly true either. The dialect that people think of as having no accent is the Midwest/West dialect, also known as General American English.

And it's not that people with that dialect have no accent or have only a subtle one, but rather that theirs is viewed as the baseline from which other dialects are judged.  
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
I don't have an accent
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 12:56:24 PM »
So, people who speak both The Western dialect and The Midland dialect both think that theirs is the One True Dialect?
Tomorrow Poster

Offline goofy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • http://
I don't have an accent
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 01:39:41 PM »
This is a bit of a tangent, but are there any languages that are spoken by so few that the speakers can truly say they don't speak with an accent? In other words, so small that all the speakers pronounce the language the same and use the same vocabulary?
Even Scots Gaelic has different varieties in different towns. But there might be dying languages with so few speakers that there are no pronunciation differences between them.

Offline Noemon

• Arbiter of Cool
    • View Profile
I don't have an accent
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2008, 01:45:19 PM »
Eyak would have qualified up until a month or two ago.
I wish more people were able to be like me. 
-Porter

I'm about perfect.
-pooka

I hope you have a wonderful adventure in Taiwan. Not a swashbuckling adventure, just a prawn flavored pringles adventure.

-pooka

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
I don't have an accent
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 01:54:32 PM »
Everyone thinks what they speak is free from an accent.
I learned that this was not true about myself the first time I left home, as a teenager. This New York girl spent the summer in North Carolina, and couldn't open her mouth to talk without everyone around laughing.

I'll never forget when my English professor that summer asked me to recite "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" in class.  I started out: "Waw-tuh, waw-tuh, everywheyah . . . " and the class (prof, too) couldn't contain their laughter.  And then the professor told me that I was excused from reciting poetry in his class.

I tried really hard after that to tone down the New York accent so that people could take me seriously when I spoke.  I still love the vocabulary and idioms, though, and am on a mission to get them to go mainstream.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
I don't have an accent
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2008, 01:54:58 PM »
So, people who speak both The Western dialect and The Midland dialect both think that theirs is the One True Dialect?
I believe there's more of a gradient between the Western and Midland dialect than a sharp division. I've seen dialect maps that didn't show a split between them. But basically, yes, anyone from southern New Jersey to Seattle to San Diego could claim to speak General American English. And of course, there are plenty of people who speak a pretty standard dialect outside of those areas, too.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 02:23:07 PM by Jonathon »

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
I don't have an accent
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2008, 01:56:40 PM »
Even Scots Gaelic has different varieties in different towns. But there might be dying languages with so few speakers that there are no pronunciation differences between them.
Do you speak Scots Gaelic? I tried teaching myself Scottish once with a book-and-tape set I got from the public library. Suffice it to say that it's impossible to learn a language that way in only three weeks. I still remember a couple of phrases, though.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
I don't have an accent
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 02:16:14 PM »
anyone from souther New Jersey to Seattle to San Diego could claim to speak General American English.
That works for me. ;)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
I don't have an accent
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2008, 02:23:22 PM »
Yeah, but for you it would be a lie.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
I don't have an accent
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2008, 07:57:18 PM »
Now wait a minute. If the people in SoCal speak General American English, and the people in Jersey speak General American English, and my accent is a blend of the two, shouldn't that mean that I speak really General American English?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:58:22 PM by rivka »
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
I don't have an accent
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2008, 08:31:38 PM »
Is that the additive property of dialects?

I'm not so sure that New Jersey is GAE. I've seen other maps that put it in the Mid-Atlantic dialect. And anyway, if I remember right from the one time I met you, you sound at least a little like a New Yorker (to me, anyway). So maybe you're not from the right part of Jersey.

Offline goofy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • http://
I don't have an accent
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2008, 08:41:40 PM »
I took a university course in Scots Gaelic a while ago. It was a lot of fun. All I remember now is de'n t'ainm a th'ort? what's your name?
ciamar a tha thu? how are you?
tha mi gu math. I'm ok.

I love the periphrastic way it has of forming verbs. "I see you" is "tha mi gad fhaicinn" literally "I am at your seeing".
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:42:13 PM by goofy »

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
I don't have an accent
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2008, 08:51:43 PM »
I took a course in Welsh, and it was much the same way.

Oes ffrynd arbenig gyda fi = is friend special with me 'I have a special friend'

I can't remember any of the really mind-bending examples, unfortunately.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
I don't have an accent
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2008, 09:00:04 PM »
New Jersey isn't just one accent.  North Jerseyans cringe at the South Jersey accent which sounds awfully Philly, and South Jerseyans cringe at the North Jersey accent, which is New York inflected.

Of course, those in the know will tell you that there is not just one New York accent.  There is the upper class and the lower class, the Brooklyn, the Bronx, and the Long Island variants, the Jewish, the Italian, the Irish, the Latino, the Caribbean and the Black variants.

You hear someone talking New Yorkish, and you can tell their heritage, their address, their education and their socioeconomic status.

Blimey!  I'm a regular 'Enry 'Iggins, I am!
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
I don't have an accent
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2008, 09:07:23 PM »
And anyway, if I remember right from the one time I met you, you sound at least a little like a New Yorker (to me, anyway). So maybe you're not from the right part of Jersey.
It probably has less to do with Jersey (I was 6 when we moved), and more with my dad (raised in Brooklyn, and still sounds it) and the community in which I spend most of my time, which is tainted by the pool of NYers it includes. ;)
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
I don't have an accent
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2008, 09:41:47 PM »
Tainted?  More like blessed.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Re: I don't have an accent
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 03:05:48 AM »
My son says that he thinks there is such a thing as an Evangelical accent.  He says that the television preachers have an accent in common that has more to do with their being TV preachers than with where they are from.

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 06:49:04 AM »
I don't whether linguists would count this all as an accent or not, but  a lot of what is distinctive about evangelic preachers is the cadence, and the emphasis they put on words.

And it's not just Evangelicals who do it, either.  Many Mormons have a "prayer voice" way of speaking that is markedly different from their everyday speech, and is similar to others' prayer voices.  We also have a "pulpit voice" which is more common among the leaders of the church  (who tend to speak over the pulpit much more than others), but which can occasionally be heard from the rank and file.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 09:25:56 AM »
I don't think I'd call that an accent, but I'm not sure what the right term would be. Like Porter said, I think it's more about adopting a particular pattern of prosody that's expected in a certain situation.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »
He says it's the same accent that Foghorn Leghorn has.  So, Rhode Island, I guess.