GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Grammar Class  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
Grammar Class
« on: May 01, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »
The annoying punctuation thread left me feeling paranoid...I mean, I talk with ellipses...sometimes. ;)  I use them to signify pauses...long pauses.   I know it is incorrect, but I'm quite sure that I missed the lessons about semicolons, dashes,  and the correct usage of commas.  I'd love to stop feeling like a grammar underling here on this board and over at Hatrack.

So*, I ask that you dash off some quick rules that everyone should know, mostly having to do with punctuation.  Feel free to include other rules like "they're, their, and there" or "it's vs. its".  I'm much better at the word rules.  It's punctuation that I lack.
Wilde's the most egregious preemptive plagiarizer of my funny jokes ever! - T-Rex

Inside every mango is a naked pit screaming to get out? - pooka

I guess my goal is someday to have the weight/strength ratio to do pullups on my upturned mental institution bed if I ever needed to. - pooka again

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Grammar Class
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 11:06:24 AM »
The annoying punctuation thread left me feeling paranoid...I mean, I talk with ellipses...sometimes.
Everybody talks like that. If we all wrote the way we talked, we'd all look semi-literate.

I use them to signify pauses...long pauses.   I know it is incorrect, but I'm quite sure that I missed the lessons about semicolons, dashes,  and the correct usage of commas.  I'd love to stop feeling like a grammar underling here on this board and over at Hatrack.
There are some people on the forums who consistently make annoying punctuation errors. You are not among them, at least not that I've noticed. I mean, I'm sure you make errors from time to time, because most people do, but you seem to get it right most of the time.

But I can start putting together some Punctuation for Dummies rules on my lunch break if you'd like.

Edit: Actually, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I can throw something together so quickly. I'll have to do it later.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 12:06:45 PM by Jon Boy »
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
Grammar Class
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 02:58:46 PM »
We should just have folks throw in the punctuation rule that they wish everyone would follow.  I think we'd have a nice conglomeration of rules by the end of the thread.

Oh, and thanks for helping me feel better about my grammar. :)
Wilde's the most egregious preemptive plagiarizer of my funny jokes ever! - T-Rex

I guess my goal is someday to have the weight/strength ratio to do pullups on my upturned mental institution bed if I ever needed to. - pooka again

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
Grammar Class
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 03:02:22 PM »
I wish that people would only include inside literal quotes what they are actually quoting.

What Porter wants:
"That's a great idea", Jon Boy said.

What is correct:
"I don't like that idea," Jon Boy said.

Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Grammar Class
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 05:37:39 PM »
I'm with you on that, Porter.  I deliberately defy the rule, because sometimes you just can't go by the rules.  You have to do what's right.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Grammar Class
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 11:51:41 AM »
I guess I should get around to writing some tips, huh?

Here goes:

1. Don't put a single comma between a subject and its verb. For example, "The man who went to the store, bought some bread." It was once common practice to do this when the subject had some sort of complement (like "who went to the store"), but it has long since been abandoned.

2. Check to see if your single comma really should be double. "The man, whose name was Fred went to the store" is incorrect. Use a pair of commas to set off parenthetical clauses or phrases. If you'd use two parentheses, you should use two commas.

3. If you're unsure what to do, take a minimalist approach. Don't try to use things like semicolons, dashes, or ellipses if you're not comfortable with them. All of those things can be replaced with commas or periods without any great loss.

Offline dkw

• View Profile
Grammar Class
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 01:24:08 PM »
3a.  Except if you have a list whose elements include commas, in which case you should seperate the elements by semicolons to avoid confusion.  Especially if I'm the one who's supposed to read your list out loud.   :pirate:  

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
Grammar Class
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 10:01:50 AM »
Ah, I get it.  I find that I use parentheses all the time, when I really could use double commas.  Makes sense.  (Ok, was that comma usage correct? I'm parnoid about my commas.)

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
Grammar Class
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 10:06:51 AM »
I don't think Jonathon was saying to always use commas instead of parentheses -- he was saying that if you could use parentheses instead of commas, then you need two commas instead of just one.

Out of curiosity -- what punctuation would y'all use in these two sentences where I use the dash?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 10:07:29 AM by Porteiro »
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Grammar Class
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 10:08:43 AM »
Hmm. That's one of those gray areas that I've never mastered, to be honest. Supposedly it could go either way depending on whether the following clause is parenthetical, but I find that it's often hard to tell. Does the sentence mean the same thing if you leave off that clause? I'd say probably not. You're not simply saying that you use parentheses all the time; you're saying that you use them when you could use commas. That changes the meaning. And if it changes the meaning, then it's not parenthetical, so you don't need the comma.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Grammar Class
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 10:14:05 AM »
I don't think Jonathon was saying to always use commas instead of parentheses -- he was saying that if you could use parentheses instead of commas, then you need two commas instead of just one.

Out of curiosity -- what punctuation would y'all use in these two sentences where I use the dash?
Right. The parentheses thing was just a test to see if you need a second comma. For example, "The man, named Porter went to the store" is incorrect. If you used parentheses (though you probably wouldn't), you'd get "The man (named Porter) went to the store." This shows where the second comma should go.

I'd use a dash in the first sentence, though a period or semicolon could also work. I think the dash works best for that kind of explanatory addition. I'd use just a comma in the second one. It's just an introductory phrase, and the dash feels like overpunctuation to me.