GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Query  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Query
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2007, 01:49:38 PM »
Lots of laudanum.  Laudanum and laxatives.  Because the laudanum is so constipating, I guess.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline imogen

• Silly Strine
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Query
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2007, 09:38:25 AM »
I think all people are potentially gay, in the same sense that all people are potentially anorexic.  I think some people fall easily into it, and pretty much anyone could be trained into it.  But that's very different from saying everyone is anorexic until proven otherwise.
Excuse me?  

I think all people are potentially gay, in the same sense that all people are potentially anorexic.

You know what?  I have really liked reading (and sporadically, I know, interacting with) this board, partly because I have been able to grow to appreciate people with a very different view from mine.  

But the idea that gay can be equated with anorexia without even an eyebrow raised - d'you guys not see any difference?
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 09:39:48 AM by imogen »

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Query
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2007, 03:41:36 PM »
I usually use obesity as the analogy.  Do you think of that as less of an eating disorder than anorexia?  Because it kills way more people.  It's all a matter of perspective.  No one gives electro-shock therapy to overeaters, there is plenty of social acceptance that it's simply another way of being human.  I don't think gay people or disordered eaters see themselves as evil, nor do I think they are personally evil, but I don't think their actions are morally neutral.  
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 03:44:42 PM by pooka »
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Query
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2007, 03:44:28 PM »
Well, yeah.  But I thought I'd said too much already, so I was holding my tongue, for once.

But thanks, Imogen, for validating my feelings about that comparison.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Query
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2007, 03:47:09 PM »
My views in no way reflect any kind of universal Mormon position.  They are just my own weird little thoughts, so don't make it the whole board's issue.  Perhaps you should PM me.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 04:06:37 PM by pooka »
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
Query
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2007, 05:15:44 PM »
But the idea that gay can be equated with anorexia without even an eyebrow raised - d'you guys not see any difference?
Pooka didn't equate gay with anorexia.  She said that they shared one aspect, that anybody has the potential to be that way. Her words were "I think all people are potentially gay, in the same sense that all people are potentially anorexic."

It's like saying "Pooka is female, in ths same sense that Brinestone is female."  Pooka is not Brinestone, and I never said they were.  I just said that they have a characteristic in common.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 05:21:07 PM by Porteiro »
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Query
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2007, 05:30:31 PM »
Sorry, I've had a hot and cold day.  I shouldn't have gotten defensive.  I hope you'll stick around more, Imogen.  

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Query
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2007, 08:13:13 PM »
You know what?  I have really liked reading (and sporadically, I know, interacting with) this board, partly because I have been able to grow to appreciate people with a very different view from mine. 

I definitely see a difference, but like Porteiro, I didn't think pooka was saying they were the same. And to be honest, I was so weirded out by the whole conversation that I didn't really know how to respond and thus decided to just ignore it.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2007, 08:14:06 PM by Jon Boy »
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Query
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2007, 08:28:27 PM »
^ Precisely.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin