GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Quotes from work  (Read 180514 times)

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes from work
« Reply #800 on: October 09, 2010, 09:37:50 PM »
I'm trying to figure out what that could have started out as.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 10, 2010, 06:06:03 AM »
The "ten type cases" is a weird rendering of "cross" which is 十字架 (a frame/case shaped like the character for 10)
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 11, 2010, 01:14:11 AM »
OK, today's are great. They were given a situation of someone with a problem, and had to write a paragraph of advice (to use modal verbs like should, ought to, etc.) Here were my two favorites

Situation: a girl is wondering whether to break up with her fiance because he doesn't talk about his feelings and doesn't do anything considerate for her.
Advice: "He doesn't know how to please you; this also means he doesn't know how to please other girls. You should be happy for that."

Situation: a guy has a crush on his female friend. She has a boyfriend who treats her badly and this guy can't get up the guts to tell her how he feels.
Advice: "You ought to write a card to her, to say how you love her. You'd better tell her that you are her real Mr. Right. You are supposed to be stronger than her boyfriend & kill him. You have to buy anything that she likes. You must marry her."
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: October 12, 2010, 02:50:10 AM »
If he didn't, that would pretty much make him a tease, I think.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: October 12, 2010, 06:19:07 AM »
The best part is that the "& kill him" was very small and inserted with a caret.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: October 12, 2010, 06:22:41 AM »
P.S. I had to look up "carrot; disambiguation" on Wikipedia before I could post that and not make myself look like an idiot. Cheers for Wikipedia clearing up misconceptions held since childhood!

Speaking of misconceptions held since childhood, until 5th grade I was convinced that parentheses were carentheses. I remember quite vividly the humiliating scene of my disillusionment. I was very pleased, though, this week, when I taught the word to my boss and she said "Parentheses or carentheses?" Validation after all these years.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: October 13, 2010, 06:41:45 PM »
I don't know if this really counts as a quote from work, but we were playing scrabble the other night and my husband thought that "putting on airs" required an e in the "airs".  Thoughts?

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #807 on: October 13, 2010, 07:10:29 PM »
I don't think it does.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: October 13, 2010, 08:35:31 PM »
I can't see any reason it would. I can't find any dictionary that likes that spelling.

And since when does Scrabble have phrases?
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: October 13, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »
He was just debating whether s could be added to air.  I didn't voice my opinion that it could.  He came back from a lost challenge to win that game, quite unexpectedly.  Though I had warned spacepook to not keep crowing our leading score.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: October 13, 2010, 11:15:33 PM »
He was just debating whether s could be added to air.
Ah.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: October 13, 2010, 11:45:14 PM »
Why are we talking about carrots in two separate threads?

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #812 on: October 14, 2010, 11:15:40 AM »
Because you talked about carats here, and that made me think of all the homophones of carrot, which I posted here.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #813 on: October 14, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »
Book title du jour: John R. Winder: Member of the First Presidency, Pioneer, Temple Builder, Dairyman.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: October 15, 2010, 07:12:15 AM »
Dairymanliness is next to Godliness.

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: October 15, 2010, 08:01:47 AM »
God milk?
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #816 on: October 15, 2010, 09:25:52 AM »
Holy cow!
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: October 15, 2010, 09:52:59 AM »
Was it the Salt Lake Temple where one winter while it was being constructed they housed cattle inside?

edit: Nope nevermind, I believe it was the Kirtland Temple after the Mormons had left Ohio.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: October 15, 2010, 10:21:09 AM »
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Scott R

• Mr. Astounding
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: October 15, 2010, 10:54:30 AM »
All the funny quotes I have from work are classified.

Rats.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: October 15, 2010, 04:11:10 PM »
Was it the Salt Lake Temple where one winter while it was being constructed they housed cattle inside?

edit: Nope nevermind, I believe it was the Kirtland Temple after the Mormons had left Ohio.
I'm willing to bet it was the Nauvoo Temple, after it had burned and partly collapsed.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: October 15, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »

I'm willing to bet it was the Nauvoo Temple, after it had burned and partly collapsed.
Actually it might have been the first Nauvoo temple.  But I'm pretty sure it was burned after all that other stuff happened.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: October 16, 2010, 09:35:54 AM »
No, it burned first and then got hit by a tornado.  

There was also a fire that broke out during the original run of use as a temple, but that was successfully put out.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: October 19, 2010, 10:46:20 PM »
Assignment: If you could invent something new, what would it be?

Thing: Wanton door (the door which can arrive anywhere you want.)
Why: If someone invent this door, we can save time to go to another countries or places. And this invention can be more safely than take airplane. Maybe one day, I will invent the Wanton door. That the world can be a really Global-village.

Offline Nighthawk

• The White Rabbit
  • "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"
    • View Profile
    • Walk in the Dark
« Reply #824 on: October 20, 2010, 10:09:25 AM »
 :blink:
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."