GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Quotes from work  (Read 180719 times)

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Re: Quotes from work
« Reply #750 on: September 12, 2010, 10:43:39 PM »
Actually, in Jewish prayer, we pray for rain only in rain season.  The rest of the time, we pray for dew (although in some traditions, they leave off the dew prayer, and in some, they pray for rain and dew, no matter the season.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: September 13, 2010, 12:10:45 AM »
in some, they pray for rain and dew, no matter the season.
They're only one step away from praying for moisture. Be vigilant!

How do you say moisture in Hebrew? Does it sound like being sweaty?
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: September 13, 2010, 12:43:34 AM »
I know how to say water, dew, and rain (actually, I know at least two words for rain) in Hebrew. Oh, and snow! Not sure about moisture, though.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: September 13, 2010, 07:56:57 AM »
Well, I think the "moisture" thing started, at least it seemed so in the places I always lived, as a way to encompass both rain and snow. But the fact that we already have the word precipitation is what always puzzled me about it.
Maybe people use the word moisture more often than precipitation.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: September 13, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
If they use it to mean precipitation, though, I don't think that word means what they think it means.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: September 13, 2010, 04:51:32 PM »
If they use it to mean precipitation, though, I don't think that word means what they think it means.
Well, I'm still trying to figure out when the heck Sundee is.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #756 on: September 13, 2010, 05:22:07 PM »
It's the day after Saturdee, silly. :rolleyes:
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: September 13, 2010, 07:29:34 PM »
For the warring descriptivist and prescriptivist within me:
The relationships between sounds and meanings are arbitrary, yet they define the world, and it may be painful to notice that the good old world is disappearing with what was earlier considered good language.
The descriptivist scores a blow.

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #758 on: September 15, 2010, 03:27:51 PM »
I'm editing a piece by an author who is a chronic that dropper.

Oliver recalled when they “received the office of the lesser priesthood” the angel had made a “promise” he would be ordained “to the Presidency.”
Oliver Cowdery wrote both he and Joseph “received the high and holy priesthood” from these Apostles.

I'm adding in about five or six thats per page to help with readability. It's getting really annoying.

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #759 on: September 15, 2010, 03:44:16 PM »
I worked with a Sr. Pastor who would take the thats out of other people's newsletter articles (and never used them in his own) because he thought they were a waste of space.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: September 15, 2010, 03:49:23 PM »
Is that a grammatical problem, or just a stylistic one?

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #761 on: September 15, 2010, 03:56:19 PM »
dkw: It probably goes back to traditions like Strunk & White's "omit needless words," which I think is vague and unhelpful at best and detrimental at worst. Just because you can technically omit something and still make sense doesn't mean you should.

BlackBlade: Those sentences aren't technically ungrammatical, so I would say that it's just a stylistic issue. People frequently delete that as a complementizer or relative pronoun, especially in speech, as in "He said he was going to the store." That's completely unambiguous and unobjectionable. When it becomes a problem, in my opinion, is when the next phrase or clause reads like a complement to the verb in the main clause, when it's actually part of a subordinate clause. They are what's called garden path sentences, where the sentence is technically grammatical but very easy to misparse.

Offline Nighthawk

• The White Rabbit
  • "Omne ignotum pro magnifico"
    • View Profile
    • Walk in the Dark
« Reply #762 on: September 15, 2010, 06:31:39 PM »
I'm editing a piece by an author who is a chronic that dropper.

Oliver recalled when they “received the office of the lesser priesthood” the angel had made a “promise” he would be ordained “to the Presidency.”
Oliver Cowdery wrote both he and Joseph “received the high and holy priesthood” from these Apostles.

I'm adding in about five or six thats per page to help with readability. It's getting really annoying.

I don't see anything wrong with.
"When Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer..."

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: September 15, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
 :D
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #764 on: September 15, 2010, 08:32:00 PM »
I just adore Jasper Fforde sometimes:

"Good. Item seven. The had had and that that problem. Lady Cavendish, weren’t you working on this?’

Lady Cavendish stood up and gathered her thoughts. ‘Indeed. The uses of had had and that that have to be strictly controlled; they can interrupt the imaginotransference quite dramatically, causing readers to go back over the sentence in confusion, something we try to avoid.’

‘Go on.’

It’s mostly an unlicensed-usage problem. At the last count David Copperfield alone had had had had sixty three times, all but ten unapproved. Pilgrim’s Progress may also be a problem due to its had had/that that ratio.’

So what’s the problem in Progress?’

That that had that that ten times but had had had had only thrice. Increased had had usage had had to be overlooked, but not if the number exceeds that that that usage.’

Hmm,’ said the Bellman, ‘I thought had had had had TGC’s approval for use in Dickens? What’s the problem?’

Take the first had had and that that in the book by way of example,’ said Lady Cavendish. ‘You would have thought that that first had had had had good occasion to be seen as had, had you not? Had had had approval but had had had not; equally it is true to say that that that that had had approval but that that other that that had not.’

So the problem with that other that that was that…?’

‘That that other-other that that had had approval.’

Okay’ said the Bellman, whose head was in danger of falling apart like a chocolate orange, ‘let me get this straight: David Copperfield, unlike Pilgrim’s Progress, had had had, had had had had. Had had had had TGC’s approval?’

There was a very long pause. ‘Right,’ said the Bellman with a sigh, ‘that’s it for the moment. I’ll be giving out assignments in ten minutes. Session’s over – and let’s be careful out there."
(from The Well of Lost Plots)
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: September 15, 2010, 09:17:47 PM »
I love that quote too. In fact, I believe I mentioned it here. It's a teeny bit more comprehensible with the italics.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 16, 2010, 09:49:38 AM »
Is TGC the galacticcactus? ;)
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 19, 2010, 11:16:55 PM »
This isn't a quote from work, it's just my own frustration: I have the hardest time typing the word language. This is exceedingly vexing for someone writing papers in the field of second language acquisition. Every single time I go to type it my fingers tie themselves up in knots and I end up writing lanugae or langague or some other ridiculous iteration. If I do it one more time, I'm going to punch myself in the face.

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #768 on: September 20, 2010, 09:08:29 AM »
I usually end up with langauge.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 20, 2010, 11:55:01 AM »
Well that's strange.  If I need to type out the word language just once, like in a sentence, I have no problem doing it.  I just tried writing out the word over, and over again, and after about four times it starts getting really hard!?

My attempts without any editing to follow,

language language language language language langeuage language language langeu language language language language language language language <---(felt like a mistake but I kept typing anyway) language language language language language languagel language language language language.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 20, 2010, 06:23:35 PM »
language.  Nope.  But then I couldn't type Nope.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Kate Boots

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 21, 2010, 10:47:16 AM »
I know that I usually hate language peeving, but I really hate the use of "indicate" to mean "say", as in "Elder Brown indicated that President David O. McKay wished to see Eldon." It always gives me the mental image of someone communicating solely through hand gestures and facial expressions.

I just saw this and had to express my sympathy.  I used to have to transcribe my former boss's dictated notes from meetings.  In addition to sentences that defied grammatical punctuation, he almost always used "indicated" instead of "said". It was as if some teacher had told him not to use the word "say" and "indicate" was all he could think of to replace it.   "Mr. Smith's secretary indicated that Mr. Smith was out of the office."  I always imagined a conversation of winks and nudges.  Drove me nuts.

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #772 on: September 21, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »
My feeling is not that they were taught not to use say, but rather that they're reaching for more learned words.

Offline Kate Boots

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 21, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »
Probably.  This guy tended to be very insecure about being surrounded by people who had more education than he did.  (It was at a university.)  I spent a year and a half typing out this stuff and had no discretion to change anything.

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #774 on: September 21, 2010, 01:39:24 PM »
Ugh. That would drive me nuts too.