GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Quotes from work  (Read 180507 times)

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: Quotes from work
« Reply #725 on: August 09, 2010, 01:08:52 AM »
This is the best one I've read today:

Lily is a girl who loves to shop. One day, she forgot to take medicine. She went to a summer sale and bought a lot of clothes, t-shirts, dresses. It cost her about a million dollars. She used seventy of her credit cards. Then it was too heavy for Lily to carry them home. Therefore she called twenty-one taxis and sixty buses to drive her clothes home. On the way home, she was so generous that she gave thirty-two of her shirts to some panhandlers and beggers. She also bought seventy big closets and one huge closet to put her clothes. Then she took the medicine. Actually, it was her fancy daydream.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: August 09, 2010, 01:23:00 AM »
Note Lily didn't tip a single driver in her entourage though she gave some of her clothes to beggars.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #727 on: August 09, 2010, 01:54:27 AM »
Quote from work tonight: "Just because I don't know stuff doesn't make me ignorant!"
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: August 09, 2010, 02:10:37 AM »
Quote from work tonight: "Just because I don't know stuff doesn't make me ignorant!"
It's true, maybe that stuff is just ignorant of her.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Scott R

• Mr. Astounding
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: August 09, 2010, 09:05:50 AM »
Stuff would like to get to know you.  He's waiting downstairs with a grin and a tea-cozy.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #730 on: September 01, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »
Our usual contract indexer really frustrates me sometimes. It seems like half the index is composed of junk entries for passing references to people or things or references to things in the endnotes. I came across this gem just now:

cows, skinning diseased, 172

Yes, that's right: the story about Wilford Woodruff skinning dead, diseased cattle and then getting sick and being healed deserves its own entry in the index.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Scott R

• Mr. Astounding
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: September 02, 2010, 04:24:44 AM »
Under cows rather than healings?

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #732 on: September 02, 2010, 09:23:56 AM »
Yup. It's only a paragraph-long story, so it's almost not worthy indexing, but my first thought would be to put it under something like "Woodruff, Wilford, healing of" or maybe just "healing". I just can't imagine that a lot of readers are going to think, "I wonder where that story about skinning diseased cows was . . . oh, here it is!"

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: September 08, 2010, 09:51:04 PM »
 I like dilicious food. Even I will be fat fat fat I still like.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: September 08, 2010, 09:53:38 PM »
I like to eat beef, cake and chocolate.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #735 on: September 09, 2010, 02:40:48 PM »
I know that I usually hate language peeving, but I really hate the use of "indicate" to mean "say", as in "Elder Brown indicated that President David O. McKay wished to see Eldon." It always gives me the mental image of someone communicating solely through hand gestures and facial expressions.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: September 09, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »
Why does, "indicate" indicate nonverbal communication for you?

Sorry, the question is asked in all seriousness, but I couldn't resist writing it that way.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #737 on: September 09, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
Because most uses of indicate indicate some sort of indirect or nonverbal communication. Quite frequently it's a nonhuman doing the indicating, as in "Studies have indicated that people who use indicate to mean say are ten times more likely to be social deviants." I most often see indicate used to mean say in writing that is otherwise awkward or amateurish.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: September 09, 2010, 06:19:39 PM »
Because most uses of indicate indicate some sort of indirect or nonverbal communication. Quite frequently it's a nonhuman doing the indicating, as in "Studies have indicated that people who use indicate to mean say are ten times more likely to be social deviants." I most often see indicate used to mean say in writing that is otherwise awkward or amateurish.
Ah, I see.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: September 09, 2010, 07:40:55 PM »
I read a really great passage in Bleak House last night. Esther was talking to Mr. Guppy, who works for lawyers and is very meticulous about things being said correctly.

“You were so good as to imply, on that occasion—”

“Excuse me, miss,” said Mr Guppy, “but we had better not travel out of the record into implication. I cannot admit that I implied anything.”

“You said on that occasion,” I recommenced, “that you might possibly have the means of advancing my interests and promoting my fortunes by making discoveries of which I should be the subject."

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: September 09, 2010, 07:41:32 PM »
Oh, I guess that was "imply," not "indicate." But I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: September 09, 2010, 08:44:36 PM »
J, Does it bother you if I say that I'm going to the supermarket instead of saying that I'm driving there?
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #742 on: September 09, 2010, 09:08:18 PM »
I can't imagine why that would bother me.

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: September 09, 2010, 10:32:57 PM »
It just strikes me that saying something is a subset of indicating something.
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #744 on: September 09, 2010, 10:40:39 PM »
I thought it was pretty clear from my previous posts that I don't consider say to be a subset or synonym of indicate, so I don't know why you'd think the problem was that I don't like using words that are supersets of other words.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: September 10, 2010, 10:08:46 AM »
The problem I see with indicate is that some people think of something has more syllables, it is more formal.  I see this a lot in people thanking the Lord for the "moisture" rather than rain or snow.  Now, if there were a light wintry mix that morning, I could maybe see "moisture" as a superior reference.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: September 10, 2010, 11:14:20 AM »
The problem I see with indicate is that some people think of something has more syllables, it is more formal.  I see this a lot in people thanking the Lord for the "moisture" rather than rain or snow.  Now, if there were a light wintry mix that morning, I could maybe see "moisture" as a superior reference.
Bro. Groberg gave a talk about praying for favorable winds on a rickety boat.  The captain chastised him for it because there might be a boat coming in the other direction, and for God to grant them that boon he would have to inconvenience the other boat.

I've never been able to pray for favorable weather since.  The best I can do is pray to God to end say a drought brought on by wickedness.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 07:15:34 AM by BlackBlade »

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: September 10, 2010, 05:21:01 PM »
Passive aggressive me wants to volunteer to offer prayers whenever I get the chance just so I can express thanks for the precipitation. Moisture just makes it sound like we're all sweaty.

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: September 12, 2010, 07:35:44 PM »
How about just thanking/asking for, you know, rain?
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: September 12, 2010, 07:53:25 PM »
Well, I think the "moisture" thing started, at least it seemed so in the places I always lived, as a way to encompass both rain and snow. But the fact that we already have the word precipitation is what always puzzled me about it.