GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Quotes from work  (Read 180657 times)

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Quotes from work
« Reply #400 on: October 10, 2008, 11:39:12 AM »
I think that sounds good.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Amilia

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #401 on: November 14, 2008, 02:24:36 PM »
I work for an art glass studio.  My favorite supplier, Mad Dog, has a hoot of a catalog.  Most of the entries are ordinary businesslike entries.  But every now and again I come across one that just cracks me the heck up.  One I just ran across:

ZINC BRACE BAR
SISSY BAR!  As thick as the STEEL BAR, but bends and solders much easier.  Great for curvy bracing.

My all time favorite entry:

APRON
Ultra chic, apron with scientifically devised rear opening for fresh air circulation.  One trendy size fits all.

The caption next to the apron's picture reads:
Maude Dogge with apron
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 02:25:03 PM by Amilia »

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #402 on: November 14, 2008, 06:20:18 PM »
Fresh air circulation.   :lol:  
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Quotes from work
« Reply #403 on: December 30, 2008, 10:43:15 AM »
The final conditions of the surrender called for the Mormons to make an appropriation of property to cover any indemnities caused during the Missouri conflict . . .
Uh, no. The Mormons did not appropriate any property; they surrendered it. The state of Missouri appropriated the property. And the appropriation did not cover any indemnities; the appropriation was the indemnity against the damages caused by the conflict.

The whole paper is full of stuff like this—not just awkwardness or wordiness, but flat-out wrongness.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #404 on: December 31, 2008, 09:33:32 AM »
You can't just scrawl "I do not think that word means what you think it means" and give it back, I suppose.

Yeah, that definitely makes it sound like the Mormons received stuff, which is not how I've heard it.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Quotes from work
« Reply #405 on: December 31, 2008, 10:17:38 AM »
He used "appropriated" somewhere else when he clearly meant something more like "disbursed". I'm guessing he just doesn't know what it means.

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #406 on: January 02, 2009, 10:05:12 AM »
Why does my supervisor (along with a zillion other people) use the word 'we' when asking how my project is progressing?  "How are we doing?"  I didn't realize how absolutely irritating that was until I started hearing it from him 2-3 times a day.  

I am comfortable enough with him that I once said "I don't know how you're doing, but I'm doing fine!"  He didn't get the hint, and still uses the 'we' version all the freaking time.   o_O  
Wilde's the most egregious preemptive plagiarizer of my funny jokes ever! - T-Rex

Inside every mango is a naked pit screaming to get out? - pooka

I guess my goal is someday to have the weight/strength ratio to do pullups on my upturned mental institution bed if I ever needed to. - pooka again

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #407 on: January 02, 2009, 10:06:10 AM »
1) He thinks he's royalty.

2) He has a tapeworm.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Quotes from work
« Reply #408 on: January 02, 2009, 10:08:27 AM »
3) He's using an indirect form to be polite.

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #409 on: January 02, 2009, 10:09:19 AM »
3) He's using an indirect form to be polite.
I don't get that.  It sounds condescending and incorrect.  I think I'm going to go with rivka's tapeworm theory. ;)
Wilde's the most egregious preemptive plagiarizer of my funny jokes ever! - T-Rex

I guess my goal is someday to have the weight/strength ratio to do pullups on my upturned mental institution bed if I ever needed to. - pooka again

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #410 on: January 02, 2009, 10:14:52 AM »
:lol:  
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Quotes from work
« Reply #411 on: January 02, 2009, 10:15:34 AM »
I manage, or supervise, or whatever.  I never do the "How are we doing?" thing.  Typical is, "What's the story?", "Any news?", "Anything to report?"  "What's going on with <whatever>?", or "What's the word on the street?".

Narnia, how do you feel about those?
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #412 on: January 02, 2009, 10:23:36 AM »
I like them all much better than 'how are we doing?'  I would welcome any or all of them at any time.  :)

After 3 more seconds of deep thought, I realize that Tante's phrases invite simple answers like "No problem," "everything's ok," etc.  Whereas "How are we doing?" seems to require something....else.  I'm not sure what.  I know I'm just being silly, but there it is.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:25:03 AM by Narnia »

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Quotes from work
« Reply #413 on: January 02, 2009, 11:08:07 AM »
I love the simple answers, especially when they are "everything's OK".  Of course, if I find out later that everything was not OK, that's not so cool.
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #414 on: January 02, 2009, 11:17:04 AM »
Whereas "How are we doing?" seems to require something....else.  I'm not sure what.  I know I'm just being silly, but there it is.
Huh. I just respond with "Fine, thanks." Maybe you're responding to body language as well?
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #415 on: January 02, 2009, 11:28:08 AM »
I gues it seems like I need to say something else more specific I guess.  I can't quite tell.

I'm a terrible person, though.  He just did it again with a "Do you think we'll be able to finsish [project] by the end of today?"

I responded with "I'll be able to finish it...I don't know about the two of us together."  (Like I said, our working relationship is pretty casual and joky, so I felt comfortable saying that.)  He totally didn't get it.  *sigh*  I'll shut up I guess.  :sarcasm:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 11:28:29 AM by Narnia »

Offline Zalmoxis

• Chief Bloviator
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #416 on: January 02, 2009, 02:13:15 PM »
There is no I in team, Narnia.

Edit to add: But there are two 'A's in The A-Team!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:13:59 PM by Zalmoxis »
Zwei Aufgaben des Lebensanfangs: Deinen Kreis immer mehr einschränken und immer wieder nachprüfen, ob du dich nicht irgendwo außerhalb deines Kreises versteckt hältst. (Kafka)

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #417 on: January 02, 2009, 02:34:35 PM »
If you want him to get it, try, "Oh! Are you going to help? Great! You type, and I'll dictate."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #418 on: January 02, 2009, 02:39:28 PM »
:D

That was meant for Zal, but it works for Rivka too.  I honestly think that he doesn't even realize it.  If I said that, he'd be like "What are you talking about?" He already thinks I'm insane, so I'd better stop while I'm ahead. ;)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 02:40:28 PM by Narnia »

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Quotes from work
« Reply #419 on: January 03, 2009, 03:54:02 PM »
If I were to give you some honest, useful advice in this, it would be to either ignore him or laugh at him behind his back.  That's what the people I supervise do.

Offline Noemon

• Arbiter of Cool
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #420 on: January 12, 2009, 08:42:29 AM »
Remember a few weeks ago, when I posted about a coworker with idiosyncratic ways of pronouncing just about everything, who is also very quick to correct my pronunciation? I just overheard him talking to another coworker. They're talking about movies, and he was referencing some film where Ride of the Valkyries was used to comic effect. He pronounced Wagner "Vaagner", with the "aa" sounding like the "a" in "can", but more drawn out.  
I wish more people were able to be like me. 
-Porter

I'm about perfect.
-pooka

I hope you have a wonderful adventure in Taiwan. Not a swashbuckling adventure, just a prawn flavored pringles adventure.

-pooka

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #421 on: January 12, 2009, 09:19:39 AM »
I'll add my vote to the we annoyance. Although my personal pet peeve is when people say "we're pregnant." No... no, you're not.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #422 on: January 12, 2009, 09:23:35 AM »
Although my personal pet peeve is when people say "we're pregnant." No... no, you're not.
Do you find it annoying when the woman says that?
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Noemon

• Arbiter of Cool
    • View Profile
Quotes from work
« Reply #423 on: January 12, 2009, 09:48:41 AM »
I do. Unless by "we" she means herself and another woman or group of women, all of whom are in a family way.
I wish more people were able to be like me. 
-Porter

I'm about perfect.
-pooka

I hope you have a wonderful adventure in Taiwan. Not a swashbuckling adventure, just a prawn flavored pringles adventure.

-pooka

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Quotes from work
« Reply #424 on: January 12, 2009, 10:24:36 AM »
I never said "we're pregnant", but I did say that "we're expecting a baby in February".

Which we both were.