GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: The random etymology of the day  (Read 222442 times)

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Re: The random etymology of the day
« Reply #1925 on: April 07, 2016, 04:29:59 PM »
Everyone in the world is confused about where turkeys come from!
Apparently Russian, Polish, Yiddish (probably because of Russian or Polish), and Turkish all call turkeys Indian chickens.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1926 on: April 07, 2016, 09:06:55 PM »
Because they are a New World thing that Native Americans ate, I bet.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: April 07, 2016, 10:37:23 PM »
They are all using words that mean India, not American Indian.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1928 on: April 08, 2016, 02:14:20 AM »
Yet I can see how the confusion would arise.
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1929 on: April 08, 2016, 08:39:54 AM »
Here's what the Online Etymology Dictionary says:

turkey (n.) Look up turkey at Dictionary.com
1540s, originally "guinea fowl" (Numida meleagris), a bird imported from Madagascar via Turkey, and called guinea fowl when brought by Portuguese traders from West Africa. The larger North American bird (Meleagris gallopavo) was domesticated by the Aztecs, introduced to Spain by conquistadors (1523) and thence to wider Europe. The word turkey first was applied to it in English 1550s because it was identified with or treated as a species of the guinea fowl, and/or because it got to the rest of Europe from Spain by way of North Africa, then under Ottoman (Turkish) rule. Indian corn was originally turkey corn or turkey wheat in English for the same reason.

The Turkish name for it is hindi, literally "Indian," probably influenced by Middle French dinde (c. 1600, contracted from poulet d'inde, literally "chicken from India," Modern French dindon), based on the then-common misconception that the New World was eastern Asia.
After the two birds were distinguished and the names differentiated, turkey was erroneously retained for the American bird, instead of the African. From the same imperfect knowledge and confusion Melagris, the ancient name of the African fowl, was unfortunately adopted by Linnæus as the generic name of the American bird. [OED]
The New World bird itself reputedly reached England by 1524 at the earliest estimate, though a date in the 1530s seems more likely. The wild turkey, the North American form of the bird, was so called from 1610s. By 1575, turkey was becoming the usual main course at an English Christmas. Meaning "inferior show, failure," is 1927 in show business slang, probably from the bird's reputation for stupidity. Meaning "stupid, ineffectual person" is recorded from 1951. Turkey shoot "something easy" is World War II-era, in reference to marksmanship contests where turkeys were tied behind a log with their heads showing as targets. To talk turkey (1824) supposedly comes from an old tale of a Yankee attempting to swindle an Indian in dividing up a turkey and a buzzard as food.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: April 11, 2016, 03:48:02 PM »
Unlike blueberries, which get their name from the color, oranges aren't named for their color.  The color is named after the fruit.  Before they were widely enough propagated that people were familiar with what they looked like, there just wasn't a good name for that color.  They called it "yellow-red" or, later, "saffron".
This is why we call them redheads -- the term was coined before the word 'orange' entered the language.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1931 on: April 11, 2016, 09:24:28 PM »
I've heard that before they were orange, carrots were purple.  The orange color was bred and propogated for political reasons.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: April 11, 2016, 10:09:22 PM »
You can still find purple ones. And white.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: April 12, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
That's true - it's a Dutch thing.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: April 12, 2016, 08:37:41 PM »
I don't know about that, but organic-type markets sometimes have bags with 4 different colors of carrots (purple, white, deep orange, and pale yellow).
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1935 on: April 12, 2016, 08:54:24 PM »
The Dutch Protestants bred orange carrots to honor the House of Orange, which became crazy popular, because they were such patriotic vegetables.  But this was after the color took it's name from the fruit, or I suppose we'd be calling that color "carrot" instead of "orange".

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: April 12, 2016, 09:51:55 PM »
The Dutch Protestants bred orange carrots to honor the House of Orange, which became crazy popular, because they were such patriotic vegetables.
There is actually very little evidence to support this popular claim. It's at least as likely that the orange ones were bred because they are sweeter and less starchy.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: April 13, 2016, 07:21:25 AM »
I'm going to grow multicolored carrots in my garden this year. I'm curious what the purple ones taste like.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: April 13, 2016, 07:51:18 AM »
Pretty much like the orange ones.

Also, the varieties we grew were only purple on the outside.  When you peeled them they were orange.  It was very disappointing. Same with red.  The yellow ones were yellow all the way through.

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: April 21, 2016, 06:45:59 PM »
Well, thanks for the heads up. Actually, now that I think of it, we did buy multicolored baby carrots once, and yeah, they basically all tasted the same.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1940 on: April 21, 2016, 10:23:38 PM »
There's a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one and they're all made out of carrototty and they all taste just the same.

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: April 22, 2016, 01:26:29 PM »
They're like the M&Ms of vegetation.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1942 on: April 28, 2016, 01:02:03 PM »
I recently learned that bodega and boutique are essentially the same word—the former is the Spanish and the latter is the French descendent of the Latin apotheca, which is the source of apothecary. The Romans borrowed the root word from Greek, where the word meant "barn" or "storehouse".

I also really like this note on boutique in the Online Etymology Dictionary: "Latin apotheca directly into French normally would have yielded *avouaie." Apparently the process by which it evolved from Latin to French preserved a lot of sounds that otherwise would have been lost.

Edited for clarity.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: April 28, 2016, 03:06:21 PM »
Am I correct in assuming that apothecary is related as well?
-Aaron Kunin

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1944 on: April 28, 2016, 03:51:49 PM »
Oh, yes. I should have made that clear.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: April 28, 2016, 04:53:28 PM »
Drugs, dresses, and a breakfast burrito, all in one place! Talk about one-stop shopping. ;)
-Aaron Kunin

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1946 on: April 28, 2016, 05:18:44 PM »
 :D

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: April 29, 2016, 02:11:30 PM »
That's interesting!

My husband and I have talked about bodega before. It's only in certain varieties of Spanish (Puerto Rican was the only one we've come across) that it has the meaning of "small store" that we use it for in English. In all the other varieties of Spanish he's familiar with, it still means something like "cellar" or "storage area." In his Honduran Spanish the meaning is closer to "warehouse," and in the Spain Spanish in Pan's Labyrinth they use it to mean a pantry.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: April 30, 2016, 09:25:06 PM »
It's only in certain varieties of Spanish (Puerto Rican was the only one we've come across) that it has the meaning of "small store" that we use it for in English.
Which explains why it's commonly used that way in NY, and much less so here in SoCal.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1949 on: September 04, 2016, 01:14:17 PM »
Paraphernalia originally meant all of a woman's property besides her dowery.