GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: The random etymology of the day  (Read 222510 times)

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
Re: The random etymology of the day
« Reply #1575 on: August 27, 2012, 10:01:40 PM »
Can we grease the pig first?
Are you allowed to touch pigs?
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: August 28, 2012, 12:06:57 AM »
I could keep one as a pet and kiss it good morning every day, if I wanted to.

Or did you think dogs and cats were kosher? ;)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: August 28, 2012, 02:06:35 AM »

She makes her point well!

I was wandering through my Chinese market this morning wondering how my Jewish friends would fare. (Like Ela mentioned in another thread, you'd pretty much just have to be vegetarian.) But then I wondered - are there Kosher butchering rules for poultry?
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1578 on: August 28, 2012, 02:30:32 AM »
Yes.  The observant Jews I know who travel to China on business carry along all their food in a suitcase.  They tell me it's kind of dismal.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: August 28, 2012, 02:38:13 AM »
Alas. All it seems that people eat here are pigs and ducks and shrimp. And the occasional hedgehog or snake.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: August 28, 2012, 06:02:08 AM »
You'd think some Jewish entrepreneur could make a living at opening a small kosher restaurant in, say, Beijing. Yeah, Jewish travelers from the States would be few, but in a city that big, maybe there would be enough to keep it open. And maybe if the food was Chinese enough, even non-Jewish people who like good food would try it.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: August 28, 2012, 06:09:06 AM »
They certainly managed to do well with kosher Chinese restaurants in the States. I bet there'd be plenty of business in the bigger cities.

I think the main problem would be getting the meat - you'd either have to have a kosher slaughterhouse here or import everything from overseas.

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: August 28, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »
How hard would it be to start up a kosher slaughterhouse in China? Is there a reason nobody's tried it yet, other than the low population of Jewish people there?

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: August 28, 2012, 07:20:07 AM »
I could keep one as a pet and kiss it good morning every day, if I wanted to.

I'm confused. Not so much that I was wrong about pigs, but I was under the impression that there are things practicing Jews won't touch for concern of being ritually unclean. Sorta similar to Muslims who won't touch pigs, or dogs for that matter.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: August 28, 2012, 08:42:42 AM »
You'd think some Jewish entrepreneur could make a living at opening a small kosher restaurant in, say, Beijing. Yeah, Jewish travelers from the States would be few, but in a city that big, maybe there would be enough to keep it open.
There are a couple in Hong Kong, which gets more business travelers. But I doubt even Beijing gets a steady enough stream to support a kosher restaurant.

And kosher-eating travelers can't even rely on the usual standbys of canned tuna and peanut butter!

How hard would it be to start up a kosher slaughterhouse in China? Is there a reason nobody's tried it yet, other than the low population of Jewish people there?
Not remotely cost-effective.

I was under the impression that there are things practicing Jews won't touch for concern of being ritually unclean. Sorta similar to Muslims who won't touch pigs, or dogs for that matter.
Ritually clean and kosher are not the same thing. Jews are not Muslims.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: August 28, 2012, 09:25:12 AM »
Jews are not Muslims.
This, I know. I just figured the concept was not entirely a Muslim one.

I figured if you couldn't eat pork, then perhaps you weren't permitted to handle it either. I mean, what's to stop you from chewing up a bacon cheeseburger then spitting it out once the flavor is gone?

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1586 on: August 28, 2012, 09:30:44 AM »
I'd think that it wouldn't make sense to open a kosher Chinese restaurant in China.  China has plenty of Chinese restaurants.  I'd bet they'd go ape for authentic ethnic food, like bagels and rocks.  And having a dairy restaurant would avoid the kosher meat supply problems.
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: August 28, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »
I mean, what's to stop you from chewing up a bacon cheeseburger then spitting it out once the flavor is gone?
Is this a serious question?
-Aaron Kunin

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1588 on: August 28, 2012, 10:01:37 AM »
Jews are not Muslims.

I figured if you couldn't eat pork, then perhaps you weren't permitted to handle it either. I mean, what's to stop you from chewing up a bacon cheeseburger then spitting it out once the flavor is gone?

The same thing that stops you from swishing alcohol around in your mouth and spitting it out or holding cigarette smoke in your mouth and then blowing it out?
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: August 28, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »
Jews are not Muslims.

The same thing that stops you from swishing alcohol around in your mouth and spitting it out or holding cigarette smoke in your mouth and then blowing it out?
The former does not seem strictly forbidden, the later would be impossible because you'd still be inhaling.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: August 28, 2012, 11:08:11 AM »
I mean, what's to stop you from chewing up a bacon cheeseburger then spitting it out once the flavor is gone?
Is this a serious question?
I intended it to be serious, judging by your reaction there is something obvious I am missing between kissing pigs and chewing them.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: August 28, 2012, 11:21:37 AM »
Kissing a pig is not eating it.
-Aaron Kunin

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: August 28, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
Kissing a pig is not eating it.
And when my son's food is chewed up and spit out all over the floor I don't say he's "eaten dinner".

Online Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1593 on: August 28, 2012, 11:28:21 AM »
The former does not seem strictly forbidden, the later would be impossible because you'd still be inhaling.

It depends on what you mean by "inhale". Bill Clinton famously said that he tried pot but didn't inhale, meaning he didn't draw the smoke into his lungs. But my point is that if you think that chewing up a cheeseburger and spitting it out might be okay for a Jew, then smoking without inhaling should be okay for a Mormon.

Of course, I don't think either is acceptable. The prohibitions seem to be against taking those things into your body at all, even if you spit them or blow them out. (Of course, you could easily make the point that when you chew something up and spit it out, you're still ingesting juices and particles of food.) Muslims apparently have a different standard for some unclean animals.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: August 29, 2012, 06:04:32 AM »

And kosher-eating travelers can't even rely on the usual standbys of canned tuna and peanut butter!

You know, there are a lot of import stores here - I can get an American cake mix, cheddar cheese, Cheerios, or even tuna or peanut butter. I wonder if Jewish travelers would be benefitted of a list of these sorts of stores in Chinese cities. I'd love to put one together for Nanjing, and I'm sure I could find people living in other cities to do so.

Hopefully that would at least ease the burden of having to carry everything you're going to eat in a suitcase.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1595 on: August 29, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »
Chinese food is probably the most popular ethnic food here in the US.  What's the most popular ethnic food in China?

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: August 29, 2012, 07:39:54 AM »

You know, there are a lot of import stores here - I can get an American cake mix, cheddar cheese, Cheerios, or even tuna or peanut butter. I wonder if Jewish travelers would be benefitted of a list of these sorts of stores in Chinese cities. I'd love to put one together for Nanjing, and I'm sure I could find people living in other cities to do so.

Hopefully that would at least ease the burden of having to carry everything you're going to eat in a suitcase.
Annie, it's the internet. Build a webpage, and they will come. ;)

Also, that's a really cool idea. :)
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: August 29, 2012, 08:29:49 AM »
Chinese food is probably the most popular ethnic food here in the US.  What's the most popular ethnic food in China?

No way. Maybe where you live, but where I live, it's definitely Italian, with Mexican in second place, followed by Chinese.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1598 on: August 29, 2012, 09:09:30 AM »
Where I live, Italian isn't considered to be ethnic food.  Just "food".

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: August 29, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »
right on

An exclamation of enthusiasm or encouragement, as in You've said it really well right on!  This interjection has a disputed origin. Some believe it comes from African-American slang (it was recorded in Odum and Johnson's The Negro and His Songs , 1925); others feel it is a shortening of right on target , used by military airmen, or right on cue , theatrical slang for saying the right lines at the right time. [Slang; first half of 1900s] Also see way to go.
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon