GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: The random etymology of the day  (Read 222606 times)

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Re: The random etymology of the day
« Reply #1350 on: December 06, 2010, 12:33:06 PM »
syzygy

Are you sure you're not just trying to cheat at Scrabble?
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1351 on: December 06, 2010, 03:01:19 PM »
It's a perfectly cromulent word! It's even in the dictionary!
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: January 10, 2011, 09:20:19 PM »
I was doing some reading about clockmaking and discovered that there are horology nerds who differentiate between timepieces and clocks, where the latter have bells or chimes.

According to the online etymology dictionary, there is something to that.  Originally, the word clock meant a clock with bells, and is related to the Welch word cloch, meaning "bell".
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1353 on: January 10, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »
Yup. I mentioned it in an Arrant Pedantry post a while back. According to the OED, it comes from Latin, from whence it spread to a lot of European languages. They also note:

For the original and general sense of this word in the other languages, English had the word bell n.1 in regular use; it is probable, therefore, that clock was introduced either with striking clocks, or at least with bells on which the hours were mechanically struck; it was probably never prevalent in Middle English in the mere sense ‘bell’.

Another cognate is glockenspiel, which literally means "bell play" in German.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: January 10, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »
So a cloche is a bell-shaped hat?
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1355 on: January 10, 2011, 09:56:43 PM »
I didn't know what that was before now, but apparently, yes.

Edit: That is, I didn't know that that kind of hat was called a cloche.

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: January 10, 2011, 09:57:03 PM »
Cool.  I had wondered of glockenspiel was a cognate, but hadn't bothered to look it up.

That was a good article that I hadn't read yet.  Thanks for pointing me to it.

I think that Ruth makes a good point about "10" being ambiguous in a way that "10:30" and "10 o'clock" are not.

While it's true that the original clocks only told the time by ringing bells, the first clocks with hands and faces only had hour hands.  It's just as well -- they were too inaccurate for anything smaller.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: January 10, 2011, 10:03:13 PM »
I didn't know what that was before now, but apparently, yes.

Edit: That is, I didn't know that that kind of hat was called a cloche.
Well, that's probably because you neither wear nor buy them, and I do both. ;)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: January 10, 2011, 10:20:43 PM »
Wow, it's weird to me that Welsh is so close to French in this case. Maybe French took it from Breton or something weird in this case because the French cloche is nothing like the Spanish and Italian campana.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: January 10, 2011, 10:22:38 PM »
OK, just kidding about that, the French is still from Latin but maybe the Welsh is too.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1360 on: January 10, 2011, 11:54:30 PM »
Yup. The OED says it went from Latin to Celtic, Germanic, and some of the Romance languages (though not, as you noted, Spanish and Italian). But it looks like it comes from Medieval Latin and not Classical Latin, which would explain why it isn't found throughout the Romance languages.

Online pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: January 11, 2011, 05:10:44 PM »
That raises the question of where campana came from, and whether Romance languages have anything like our interest in etymology.  I'm guessing not, kind of like how they don't have spelling bees.

An etymology bee, now there's a kickburro idea.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1362 on: January 12, 2011, 09:07:11 AM »
As far as I know, they're just as interested in etymology as we are.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: January 12, 2011, 12:24:41 PM »
That raises the question of where campana came from, and whether Romance languages have anything like our interest in etymology.  I'm guessing not, kind of like how they don't have spelling bees.

An etymology bee, now there's a kickburro idea.
Might I suggest catching the annual National Geographic Bee?  It's amazing the quality of children they get on that contest, and it's very enjoyable to watch.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #1364 on: January 14, 2011, 12:39:05 AM »
Crowbar.  What does it have to do with crows?  Sounds like a place where black birds would go to drink.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: January 14, 2011, 06:39:02 AM »

The beak?
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Porter

• Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: January 14, 2011, 09:04:23 AM »
From Wikipedia:

Etymology

One accepted etymology[1][2] identifies the first component of the word crowbar with the bird-name "crow", perhaps due to the crowbar’s resemblance to the feet or beak of a crow. The first attestation of the word is circa 1400. They also were called simply crows, or iron crows; William Shakespeare used the term iron crow in many places[3], including his play Romeo and Juliet, Act 5, Scene 2:

Get me an iron crow and bring it straight
    Unto my cell.

In the 1719 novel by Daniel Defoe, Robinson Crusoe, the protagonist uses crowbars as pickaxes but refers to these tools as iron crows:

As for the pickaxe, I made use of the iron crows, which were proper enough, though heavy;

A second possibility is derived from the use of the crow bar to turn the jack screw on rail bending machines used in small gauage railway operations such as those commonly found in underground mining. The rail bending machine consisted of a jig used to hold the rail while a screw jack, turned with the leverage provided by the crowbar, applied a bending force to the rail. The rail bending jig resembled a crow whan viewed from above.
Tomorrow Poster

Offline Zalmoxis

• Chief Bloviator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: January 14, 2011, 10:21:09 AM »
That Shakespeare reference is interesting to me. In some ways it makes more sense. An iron crow is something that is iron that is shaped like a crow's beak. A crowbar is a bar that is shaped like a crow's beak. But a bar could be made out of any kind of metal, right? Perhaps we should be calling crowbars steelcrows.
Zwei Aufgaben des Lebensanfangs: Deinen Kreis immer mehr einschränken und immer wieder nachprüfen, ob du dich nicht irgendwo außerhalb deines Kreises versteckt hältst. (Kafka)

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: January 14, 2011, 01:36:31 PM »
I think the entire tool looks similar to a crow, in that one side is the head and beak, which curves into the body and tail of the other side.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: January 14, 2011, 03:42:18 PM »
[insert momma joke here]
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1370 on: February 22, 2011, 02:32:21 PM »
I just learned that college and colleague are related, which I guess shouldn't be a surprise. One of my coworkers was confused by a reference to "cordial and collegial relations", thinking that "collegial" meant only "related to colleges" and not "related to colleagues".

College was borrowed from the French collége, which descends from the Latin collegium. It originally meant a body of colleagues, like a guild or other professional association. It eventually came to mean a group of scholars within or outside of a university, and because some universities only had one college, it became more or less interchangeable with university.

Colleague was borrowed from the French collègue, which comes from the Latin collēga, meaning literally 'chosen together'—that is, a partner or fellow in an association of some kind.

Offline sweet clementine

• nigh unto importance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 02, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »
We were just discussing the word "cleavage" because my roommate is writing a paper about social cleavages.  Needless to say, we mocked her for quite a while.  Anyway, the point is, we started wondering about how you can have cleavage and cleave that mean quite opposite things.  So i was wondering what the etymology is of those two words and how they're related and how they would have evolved to differently?
"I must be due for a mighty smiting sometime soon." ~Annie

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1372 on: March 02, 2011, 11:06:24 PM »
They're actually two unrelated words that just happen to have merged together in pronunciation in modern English. In Old English the "split" one was cleofan, and the "stick" one was clifian. As far as I can tell, it's just coincidence that the two have come to sound alike over the centuries. The former is apparently related to the word glyph, which comes from Greek. They ultimately come from a Proto-Indo-European root meaning "cut" or "slice". A clove of garlic also comes from the same root in English. The only other word I can find that's related to the "stick" cleave is clay.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: March 03, 2011, 07:38:48 AM »
The only other word I can find that's related to the "stick" cleave is clay.
What about cling?

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1374 on: March 03, 2011, 09:59:54 AM »
Hmm. The OED and Etymonline.com are not being very helpful. They trace it back to a Proto-Germanic klingg- meaning "to freeze or congeal". It later came to mean "to stick" in a more generic sense. But neither traces the etymology further back than that, so I'm not sure if it's somehow related to clifian. I'd guess it's not related, though, based on the very different endings of the words. I think the f/v and ng are parts of the stems, not endings, which would mean they're different roots.

But it looks like clench is related to cling, coming from a causative form of the word. Basically, it would've originally meant "to cause to cling".