GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Ok, what's this called?  (Read 1424 times)

Offline Bob t. Lawyer

• View Profile
Ok, what's this called?
« on: April 14, 2005, 03:00:34 PM »
For some reason this is bugging me today.  I understand that the "leg" of a chair is not really a leg, in that it doesn't have feet, isn't attached to a body, etc. and so is a metaphor.  But, at the same time, the real word for the object is a "leg".  So... is it still a metaphor?  Help a poor biochemist out.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Ok, what's this called?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 03:03:10 PM »
I think it's just an alternate definition. Then again, in Victorian England table and chair legs (like human ones) were referred to as "limbs."
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Ok, what's this called?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 03:12:07 PM »
Well, yes, it is an alternate definition of the word leg, but that definition arose from a simple metaphor. A metaphor involves using a word or phrase to describe something different but analogous. The word originally just referred to those limbs that you use for walking, but then it was extended to refer to anything that was like a leg.

But we don't really think of such things as metaphors, because that's just a normal definition of the word now.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Bob t. Lawyer

• View Profile
Ok, what's this called?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2005, 03:22:20 PM »
Hmm... I asked a housemate and he went on about it being a figure of catachresis, which is both figurative and literal at the same time, or so say the American Deconstructionalists.  I think the conversation went on from there, and I think I was violated, but at that point I was no longer sure of what was happening.  You do things with words before you refer to the world!

For once, I'm glad to be a biochemist.

Edit:  So it makes sense... I think.  And might I add that I prefer the explanation offered here.  I bet he was just trying to sound smart.  Well, I'll show him I will.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 03:25:25 PM by Bob t. Lawyer »

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Ok, what's this called?
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005, 05:34:30 PM »
Yeah, definitely just trying to sound smart. He used the term "catachresis" completely wrong.
1 : use of the wrong word for the context
2 : use of a forced and especially paradoxical figure of speech (as blind mouths)
There's nothing literal about calling part of a chair a "leg." It's entirely metaphorical. Darn deconstructionists, trying to make everything so complicated . . .
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!