GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Proper Quoting  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Farmgirl

• Out Standing in Her Field
    • View Profile
Proper Quoting
« on: February 26, 2009, 07:09:39 AM »
So, I have sort of a question about quotes, and authors.

Once, in a debate with a friend, I brought out a 'quote' from Michael Crichton about something.  I immediately got ripped into, because the quote was from one of his books (fiction) -- the character of the book has that opinion, (I was told), not Mr. Crichton himself!  I realized he was right -- I was attributing to the author something said (an opinion) of the character in one of his books.  So I've been careful about that.

Then last night on the radio, someone was giving an editorial, and to end their point, they said, "Our quote from the day comes from George Orwell -- 'All animals are equal; some are just more equal than others.'"

As you know, this is said by a character in his book Animal Farm.   So is it right/not right to attribute to an author a quote that was made in one of their books?  By doing so are we causing it to look like the author has the opinions ascribed to his/her characters?

Looking online I now see many other examples of where the "author" is attributed a quote, that is actually a line given by one of the characters in their books.

"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Being a farmer is not something that you do—it is something that you are.

If I could eat only one fruit, I wouldn't choose the blueberry. It is too small. I'd go with watermelon. There is a lot to eat on a watermelon. - Tante

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Proper Quoting
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2009, 07:18:06 AM »
The author did write the quote in each of those cases. So attributing it to them is not incorrect. Attributing the sentiment behind the quote may be, especially when taken out of context. ("Kill all the lawyers!" --Shakespeare)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Farmgirl

• Out Standing in Her Field
    • View Profile
Proper Quoting
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2009, 07:23:09 AM »
Well, but that's the deal.  Usually when someone is quoting someone else, they are attributing the sentiment of that idea to the person quoted...

There is no distinction given between what is quoted by character, and what is quoted in real life
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 07:27:44 AM by Farmgirl »
"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Being a farmer is not something that you do—it is something that you are.

If I could eat only one fruit, I wouldn't choose the blueberry. It is too small. I'd go with watermelon. There is a lot to eat on a watermelon. - Tante

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Proper Quoting
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 07:38:14 AM »
I know. It's not a new problem, as my Shakespeare citation was meant to show. ;)

It's not much different than quoting ANYONE out of context though.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Proper Quoting
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 08:07:14 AM »
I think the best way to handle it is to give a more complete citation, including the fictional character's name and the work in addition to the author's name.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!