GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: For Porter  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
For Porter
« on: January 02, 2009, 09:31:09 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7807116.stm

Wacky.  I don't think I EVER spelled 'Otimo' as 'Optimo'....and I'm positive I never saw it spelled that way.  So I guess that's why they're adopting the changes.  I still think it would be weird to see a K, W or Y in a portuguese word, but as they adopt more world-standardized words, I guess it's necessary.

Wilde's the most egregious preemptive plagiarizer of my funny jokes ever! - T-Rex

Inside every mango is a naked pit screaming to get out? - pooka

I guess my goal is someday to have the weight/strength ratio to do pullups on my upturned mental institution bed if I ever needed to. - pooka again

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
For Porter
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 09:50:38 AM »
lusophone
I've never seen that word before, but since I'm an OSC fan and have read SftD, it made sense. :cool:

I don't think I ever saw optimo either, although it sure looks like it's  etymologically related to the English "optimal".

I'll tell you one thing that I like about Portuguese "grammar" (I'm sure Jonathan will say that it's not real grammar, but I don't know what else to call it) is their lack of pronunciation of words like "English" and "Portuguese".  They capitalize the proper nouns, but not words derived from them.  Hence Brasil and brasileiro.

I think it makes perfect sense for them to start using those three missing letters for words that they adopt from other languages.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
For Porter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:54:37 AM »

I think it makes perfect sense for them to start using those three missing letters for words that they adopt from other languages.

Me too.  It just means that those letters need to show up in the official alphabet so kids know how to sound them out.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 09:55:20 AM by Narnia »
Wilde's the most egregious preemptive plagiarizer of my funny jokes ever! - T-Rex

I guess my goal is someday to have the weight/strength ratio to do pullups on my upturned mental institution bed if I ever needed to. - pooka again

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
For Porter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 10:00:18 AM »
I watched The Mission last night and now I'm mad at the Portugese.
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
For Porter
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 10:02:42 AM »
:)  Yeah, that movie will do that for you.  The music in that movie slays me.  I listen to the soundtrack quite a lot, actually.

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
For Porter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 10:08:00 AM »
I only recall two tunes (which got replayed several times in various forms)—Irons' oboe thing that he uses to draw out the indians, and that other famous da da da da da one.
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon

Offline Narnia

• Cackler
    • View Profile
For Porter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:10:12 AM »
Yep.  That's pretty much the entire movie, though I do love the hymns sung by the natives throughout.  I think they're fantastic. (The hymns, not the natives...though I'm sure the natives are wonderful people.)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 10:11:08 AM by Narnia »