GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: The origin of the phrase, "baby-daddy"  (Read 3633 times)

Offline saxon75

• View Profile
    • http://www.sakeriver.com
The origin of the phrase, "baby-daddy"
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2006, 10:14:38 AM »
Because we were talking about couples with children.  I don't see much moral or practical difference in child-rearing ability between an exclusive, non-married couple and a married couple.  In the broader scope there are certainly practical differences between an exclusive, non-married couple and a married couple.

In a larger sense, though, I'm starting to question my purpose in making that statement at all.  I'm not sure what sort of discussion I was trying to engender, or what the goals of such a discussion would be.  I'm starting to think that I might not have been trying to discuss at all, but that I was just being argumentative and challenging because I was feeling defensive.  That's not something I should do.  I apologize.
Bah weep granah weep ninni bong.

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2006, 10:17:23 AM »
I know I make that same mistake from time to time.

Accepted.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 10:19:05 AM »
To clarify: I was not claiming there is a difference in child-rearing ability between a married couple v. non-married. And I certainly have reason to know that being married is no guarantee that the parents will remain a single parenting unit.

However, IMO, if a couple chooses to have a child, they owe it to the child to do everything possible to give that child stability and acceptance in society. To me, being married is an important component of that.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline saxon75

• View Profile
    • http://www.sakeriver.com
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 10:43:45 AM »
I was using the word "ability" in a more broad sense than solely things like skills and talents.  I meant it to include anything that each couple is able to provide for their respective children.  

I think it's likely that our difference of opinion comes from differences in some fundamental aspects of our worldviews.  I think it was a little combative and tactless of me to bring it up, especially in the way that I did.  I apologize for that and I'll quit now.  Though if anyone else wants to continue the thread, please don't take my absence as a request not to.
Bah weep granah weep ninni bong.

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 11:23:11 AM »
I think it's likely that our difference of opinion comes from differences in some fundamental aspects of our worldviews.
Almost certainly. :)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Online pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2006, 05:35:14 AM »
I think the main feeling I have for a family where the parents don't see the benefit of getting married is "concern".  But a lot of situations cause me concern.  
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon