GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: English and Chinese 2  (Read 1180 times)

Offline lenny

• View Profile
English and Chinese 2
« on: December 21, 2005, 11:05:25 PM »
Ok, welcome back~

The second thing I can think of is: tense

There is no tense in Chinese. There is no "did" or "done", just "do".  For example:

I called Jon Boy yesterday.

In Chinese, it will be like "I"+"yesterday"+"call"+"Jon Boy". If there was no "yesterday", "I called Jon Boy" is probably fine in English, depending on the context, which might be in the middle of a conversation, and suggests that "I _already_ called Jon Boy" . But "I"+"call"+"Jon Boy" will be confusing in Chinese, or more like a baby's talk. If there is no words (such as "yesterday") in a sentense suggesting time, there should be words like "already", "used to", or "will"(future tense is the similar).

I hope I am explaining clearly enough.

Thanks for watching and stay tuned. :P

Edit:This is simply random thoughts, nothing professional at all.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 05:51:07 AM by lenny »

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
English and Chinese 2
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 04:25:22 AM »
:cool: I didn't get that far in my chinese studies.  I did 2 terms of immersion Chinese and I was kind of distracted by a romantic involvement at the time so I wasn't studying like I should.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline lenny

• View Profile
English and Chinese 2
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 05:53:41 AM »
What does "immersion" mean here? Is it like daily dialogues taking place under certain situation or background?

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
English and Chinese 2
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 10:26:45 AM »
When talking about learning a language, immersion means that you go to the foreign country and speak nothing but the new language.

So does Chinese have ways to distinguish between phrases like "I went," "I have gone," "I had gone," "I was going," and so forth?
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline lenny

• View Profile
English and Chinese 2
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 10:47:25 PM »
Oh, thanks JB.

"I went" will be like "I"+"go"+"yesterday", or "I"+"used to" +"go";

"I have gone" will be like "I"+"already"+"go";

"I had gone" is just like "I have gone"+"before 1999"., so "I"+"already"+"go"+"before 1999";

"I am going" will be like "I"+"~ing"+"go", and this "~ing" thing is a separate word meaning "doing" or "going on" which helps to describe the ongoing, so:

"I was going" will be like "I"+"~ing"+"go"+"yesterday".

So basically words like "used to", "~ing" are employed to help form the tenses. I feel that Chinese can handle all the cases but less powerful in this than English.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 10:53:39 PM by lenny »