GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: My spell check fails as a dictionary.  (Read 1323 times)

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
My spell check fails as a dictionary.
« on: September 14, 2013, 01:46:00 PM »
So I've noticed once in awhile I'll be writing, and spell check will tell me I have a misspelled word, and offer corrections that are not the word I'm trying to write. I then have to open up a tab and look up the word in a dictionary just to make sure I'm spelling it right, only to be informed that yes, I have, but spell check is stupid.

Today's word was endeavour. To be fair my browser thinks it should always be spelled endeavor, but since this is the second time it has happened today, and I could not remember the earlier offense, I'm starting with this entry.

I would be interested in knowing if these words or future ones also come up as wrong when you try to type them in a text box. :)

*clicks the add to dictionary option*
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Re: My spell check fails as a dictionary.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:35:53 AM »
There is a Yiddish phrase "schep naches", meaning, "derive joy [from]".  Spell check forever suggests that what I really mean to say is "schlep nachos", which means "tote a tasty, cheesy appetizer", which is not really the same thing at all.

Also, what's the deal with "analogue" and "catalogue" and "omelette"?  Are they all officially truncated to "analog", "catalog", and "omelet"?   When did that happen?
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 06:47:47 AM »
Today's word was endeavour.
Go back home, you Brit!  We don't cotton to spellings like that over here.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 07:39:47 AM »
<grin>

I really wish I could recall the earlier example, it was a better one.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone