GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: If I lay here  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
If I lay here
« on: June 24, 2010, 07:10:18 AM »
For years I've been trying to decide how much Snow Patrol's lyrics to "Chasing Cars" bug me. I thought they were, "If I lay here, if I just lay here, would you lay with me and just forget the world?" I mean, yeah, it's wrong, but it's the way everyone says it now. How much value is there in preserving the lay/lie distinction?

The other day I noticed that there's a tiny difference in pronunciation in the last "lay." In fact, I thought that maybe it was "lie" instead. Which would mean that the "lay" they're using in the rest of the song is not the present-tense conditional of the verb "lay," but rather the subjunctive form of "lie," which is, indeed, "lay."

Try substituting a different verb: "If I stayed here, if I just stayed here, would you stay with me?"

Turns out there's nothing wrong with Snow Patrol's grammar or word usage after all. Problem is, I still am not sure how I feel about the lay/lie distinction.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline Scott R

• Mr. Astounding
    • View Profile
Re: If I lay here
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 07:15:23 AM »
Lay it on me.

Offline BlackBlade

• Deadbeat Dad
  • Gifs are all lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 07:42:59 AM »
There are layers of meaning to Scott's post.
Kyrgyzstan, is the homeland of the Kyrgyzs, a people best known for cheating at Scrabble. -Tante Shvester

What, you expected us to be badly injured or dead, and flying blind to boot? You're the one who told us all to be Awesome. -Brinestone

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 09:57:55 AM »
I don't think it actually is a subjunctive. That would require it to be counterfactual, and the second half of the sentence makes it clear that it's not. He's asking her to stay with him if he stays; it doesn't make sense for him to ask her to stay if he had stayed.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:33:22 PM »
When I try and hear the song in my head, I'm mixing up the lays and lies left and right.  Like, I was sure it was "Would you lie with me" but as I was telling my husband which song we were talking about, I also said "If I lie here."  It's not that I distinguish between lay and lie particularly well.  I think I use lie where I shouldn't sometimes.  Or maybe since I have known the rule longer than I didn't know it, it finally stuck.  But I remember thinking it was a pretty dumb rule when I was in high school.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline spacepook

• Power Tool Freak
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 03:17:40 PM »
I sing it as "If I lay here/ If I just lay here/ Would you lie with me/ And just forget the world".
"As Margaret watched the proceedings, she was struck by a deep, primal desire.  A desire for brains.  Juicy, juicy brains . . ." ~Tante

If you can't move your vowels, maybe you should get more fiver. ~AFR

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 04:10:22 AM »
They should have said "Were I to lay here."

That's it. I'm writing vehement fanmail.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:19:07 AM by Annie Subjunctive »
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 06:30:38 PM »
 :D
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline The Genuine

• Ambcloacador of Right On
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 08:12:11 PM »
Are you dancer?
I think Jesse's right.

-- Jonathon