GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Fun English foibles  (Read 5322 times)

Offline Annie Subjunctive

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Fun English foibles
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 01:27:19 PM »
avant-hier = literally "The day before yesterday."

I'm trying to figure out why this isn't as cool to me as the Japanese words ototoi and asatte. At first, I thought it was because the words weren't related to the words yesterday and tomorrow at all, but I looked at the kanji and it turns out they are.

?? = kinou = yesterday
??? = ototoi = day before yesterday (lit: one-previous-day)
?? = ashita = tomorrow
??? = asatte = day after tomorrow (lit: bright-after-day)

Those aren't cool and original at all.... only their readings. My guess is that native Japanese already had pronunciations like ototoi and then when the Chinese introduced writing, they just assigned some kanji to go with it, rather than give it a new name based on the Chinese pronunciation of the kanji.
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline goofy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • http://
Fun English foibles
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 02:19:39 PM »
So you're looking for words for "day after tomorrow" and "day before yesterday" that are opaque or not analyzable into components or whatever the term is. The Japanese words might have been opaque back in the day.

Telugu has
????????? ?valimonna n. the day before the day before yesterday.
????????????? ?valellu??i adv. the day after the day after tomorrow.
???????? a?umonna adv. the day before the day before yesterday, three days ago.
????? monna n. and adv. the day before yesterday
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 02:20:22 PM by goofy »

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Fun English foibles
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 03:12:25 PM »
Interesting.

Goofy, who are you, by the way?
"It is true, however, that the opposite of Little Rock, Arkansas is Boulder, Colorado." - Tante

Offline goofy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Fun English foibles
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2008, 07:55:58 PM »
Interesting.

Goofy, who are you, by the way?
I'm just a guy who reads Jonathon's blog and I sort of invited myself on here.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Fun English foibles
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2008, 08:12:28 PM »
It's not like you needed an invitation. My policy has always bee that anyone's welcome to join, though so far almost everyone here I either know from Hatrack or am directly related to.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 08:13:03 PM by Jonathon »
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Fun English foibles
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2008, 06:17:48 AM »
Invitations weren't required?  I'd have been here sooner if I hadn't waited for mine to come.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Fun English foibles
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2008, 07:49:21 AM »
I didn't mean to sound hostile. I was just admiring your skills of a linguist. :)

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Fun English foibles
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2008, 08:41:39 AM »
So you're looking for words for "day after tomorrow" and "day before yesterday" that are opaque or not analyzable into components or whatever the term is.
I was going to observe that the german terms are fairly predictable for german morphological habits.  English is the weird one, but I guess that's why this is the Fun English foibles thread.  

I do have a habit of calling my boss' boss and friends of friends grandboss and grandfriend.  Then I can talk about my great great grand boss and so forth.  But it probably annoys people the way it annoyed me how my mom used to stress the penultimate syllable of daffodil.  Freak.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 08:48:59 AM by pooka »
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Fun English foibles
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2008, 09:40:06 AM »
That sounds kind of similar to weird missionary lingo, such as "mom" (or "dad") referring to the companion who trained you. And if you had a new companion your second transfer (when you're still a "new missionary" and thus in your childhood), she is your stepmom. And when you go home you die.

This had some pretty disastrous results when I met up for lunch with some old companions a while ago. "Did you know that Elder C died? I can't believe it!"
"Elder C?! He's DEAD?!"
"Yeah. Shinjirarenai, ne?"

(a third companion:) "He's dead? Oh my heavens. What happened?"
"I know. We're so old!" *pause* "You do know I'm talking about mission dead, right?"
"Oh," visibly relieved. "I forgot. Yikes. I'm glad he's OK."

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
Fun English foibles
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2008, 09:52:19 AM »
That sounds kind of similar to weird missionary lingo, such as "mom" (or "dad") referring to the companion who trained you. And if you had a new companion your second transfer (when you're still a "new missionary" and thus in your childhood), she is your stepmom. And when you go home you die.
I've never heard any of that before.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline goofy

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Fun English foibles
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2008, 11:04:50 AM »
I was going to observe that the german terms are fairly predictable for german morphological habits.  English is the weird one, but I guess that's why this is the Fun English foibles thread.
How is English the weird one? Yesterday and tomorrow are as unalysable as hier and demain, or ototoi and asatte.

Speaking of Japanese, check out this cool phonological/mathematical pattern in the numbers. It's clearer if we look at Old Japanese:
fitö- 1   
futa- 2

mi- 3   
mu- 6

yö- 4
ya- 8

In modern Japanese:
hitotsu - 1
futatsu - 2

mittsu - 3
muttsu - 6

yottsu - 4
yattsu - 8

A change in the vowel indicated a doubling of the number.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 11:11:11 AM by goofy »

• Hausfrau
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Fun English foibles
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2008, 11:22:07 AM »
...which is really handy unless you have a hard time differentiating between yokka and youka, and you show up for an appointment on the 8th day of the month instead of the 4th. :)

Japanese numerals are pretty fascinating. A lot of the counters use the native Japanese pronunciations, but a lot use the Sino-Japanese numerals. So  whereas one number concept has one word associated with it in my English brain, in the Japanese brain, "4" can have multiple linguistic equivalents, all based on two basic roots that sound nothing like each other.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Fun English foibles
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2008, 11:57:33 AM »
How is English the weird one?
Because we have to use a phrase to express  "day before yesterday" and "day after tomorrow" rather than employ agglutinative morphology, which is certainly available in other aspects of the language.  I think it may be more common with Latin stems, though, while our units of time descend from the Germanic line.  

I think I've heard "die" with respect to a last area.  It's the opposite of being green.  We get so many greenies in our area, it's crazy.  More than half, for sure, and we've only had two die in the two years I've been on the mission committee.  One was sneaky and never let on that that was the case.  
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 11:59:01 AM by pooka »
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon