GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Shareable Images versus Memes  (Read 3120 times)

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Shareable Images versus Memes
« on: January 23, 2015, 12:28:39 PM »
Some of my old coworkers at the Church are having a debate. The Church keeps using the term "meme" to refer to shareable images with inspirational quotes on them, and my former coworkers hate it, because those aren't really memes. I'm having a hard time defining exactly what a meme is, though, and an even harder time coming up for an alternative name for these non-meme images.

I think memes can be things other than text on images, but the ones that are are more than just text on images, if that makes sense. For one thing, they're usually organic—manufactured memes aren't really memes, I think. And real memes are usually sort of templatized catchphrases or cultural references that can be used in a variety of situations.

The real question, though, is whether it's worth it to try to get the Church to change its usage. Maybe this usage bugs the more internet-savvy members, but I think we're in the minority.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Re: Shareable Images versus Memes
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 12:53:42 PM »

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 01:30:22 PM »
That's not what I'd call a meme.  It doesn't bother me that they want to, though.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 02:40:30 PM »
That's not what I'd call a meme.
Ditto. Inspirational posters, or inspirational images, maybe?
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Keith

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 03:44:14 PM »
I don't really even agree with calling the-stuff-you-are-calling-memes memes.  I'm okay with the long form "internet memes", but I think it's a shame that the original/broader meaning of meme is mostly obscured by associations with crappy art from 4 chan.
I don't always enjoy cactuses, but when I do they are galactic.

Offline dkw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 06:48:24 PM »
I think I agree with you, but I think it's a losing battle.  The lexical ship has sailed.

Offline Keith

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 07:21:18 PM »
I think you are correct.
I don't always enjoy cactuses, but when I do they are galactic.

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 11:35:54 PM »
For one thing, they're usually organic—manufactured memes aren't really memes, I think.
I don't know what this really means.  All memes are manufactured.

One thing that makes memes memes, as the term is generally used, is that they comes in a group or series, with variations between them.  A single image with text on it is not a meme.

I don't really even agree with calling the-stuff-you-are-calling-memes memes.  I'm okay with the long form "internet memes", but I think it's a shame that the original/broader meaning of meme is mostly obscured by associations with crappy art from 4 chan.
  I agree.  The original coining of 'meme' was an extremely useful one that we have now lost.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 09:17:06 AM »
For one thing, they're usually organic—manufactured memes aren't really memes, I think.
I don't know what this really means.  All memes are manufactured.

I mean that I think there's a difference between people coming up with image macros on their own and a company or organization making them and then telling people, "Here, share these."

One thing that makes memes memes, as the term is generally used, is that they comes in a group or series, with variations between them.  A single image with text on it is not a meme.

I agree.  The original coining of 'meme' was an extremely useful one that we have now lost.

Yeah, good point. But even if the word has already changed considerably, I still see a big difference between the kind of image that I linked to above and a picture of Fry saying "Shut up and take my money!" But I agree that even hanging on to that meaning is a losing battle.

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »
I mean that I think there's a difference between people coming up with image macros on their own and a company or organization making them and then telling people, "Here, share these."
Ah.  Yeah, I agree with that.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 07:21:54 AM »
They have literally decimated the definition of meme.
P.S.  They're mormonads, anyway.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 07:26:27 AM »
The real question, though, is whether it's worth it to try to get the Church to change its usage.
Probably not.
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Farmgirl

• Out Standing in Her Field
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2015, 07:06:04 PM »
I think my concept of a "meme" is something that gains internet popularity.  I mean, I can make all kinds of posters with words on them, but unless they go viral on the internet, and someone starts making spoofs of them with other words, I don't think I'd consider them a meme

and I don't think the church would want people taking their image and putting other words on it, either..
"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Being a farmer is not something that you do—it is something that you are.

If I could eat only one fruit, I wouldn't choose the blueberry. It is too small. I'd go with watermelon. There is a lot to eat on a watermelon. - Tante

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2015, 07:24:26 PM »
I think my concept of a "meme" is something that gains internet popularity.  I mean, I can make all kinds of posters with words on them, but unless they go viral on the internet, and someone starts making spoofs of them with other words, I don't think I'd consider them a meme

and I don't think the church would want people taking their image and putting other words on it, either..

Agreed. I think there has to be some element of virality and modifiability, which is two strikes against the premade image macros.