GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Is writing work?  (Read 1170 times)

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Is writing work?
« on: August 06, 2007, 06:28:47 AM »
Yesterday someone was saying that when people have a problem a lot of them like to work it off, like do some gardening or something.  The others were so unimaginable I don't quite recall them.  Dig a ditch?  Well, I was pondering my laziness with respect to that.  I've been feeling very guilty about the laziness ever since I accidentally read the wrong President Kimball lesson.  

Then I realized I like to write and a lot of people consider writing a chore, not the least of which is my husband.  Also, writing is prohibited on the sabbath in Jewish Law.

Though ever since I saw Proof I have to wonder if my writing isn't just a tic.  I guess it will depend on if I ever produce anything from it.  
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Farmgirl

• Out Standing in Her Field
    • View Profile
Is writing work?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2007, 06:36:03 AM »
Well, when I have a problem that I want to "work off" -- that usually involved very physical work -- something strenuous which gives my brain a chance to release those physical-exercise-connection chemicals that help calm me, etc.

If it is an emotional stress, writing can help just by being a vent.  If I CHOOSE to write, I don't consider it "work".  However, when I used to be a journalist, writing definately became "work" for me --- and I would often have to go do that physical-activity (note in above paragraph) just to get the writing juices going.

"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Being a farmer is not something that you do—it is something that you are.

If I could eat only one fruit, I wouldn't choose the blueberry. It is too small. I'd go with watermelon. There is a lot to eat on a watermelon. - Tante

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Is writing work?
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2007, 08:48:19 AM »
Also, writing is prohibited on the sabbath in Jewish Law.
True, but "melacha" is not really the same thing as "work," so I don't see that it helps your case.
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Is writing work?
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2007, 08:54:54 AM »
So I am a lazy good for nothing.   :D  
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Is writing work?
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2007, 09:03:03 AM »
Ooh, me too! Me too!
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin