GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Grammar question  (Read 2413 times)

Offline RRR

• View Profile
Grammar question
« on: April 05, 2007, 08:31:43 PM »
So I haven't posted here in forever, but I have a grammar question that's driving me crazy and I'd like the expertise of all the people over here. One of my professors has this habit of using semicolons everywhere, and my gut instinct is that the majority of her usage of them is incorrect. Here are two examples I have handy:
Situated in the anterior neck between the third and seventh cervical vertebrae, the adult laryngeal complex is comprised of several cartilaginous components and a skeletal structure; the hyoid bone (see Figure 2.1).
The adult larynx consists of three large cartilages; the epiglottis, the thyroid and the cricoid.
It seems like a colon or a comma would be much more appropriate in those two instances, but I'm just going on a feeling. Thoughts?

I would like to be Michelle Pfeiffer to your angry black kid who learns that poetry is just another way to rap.

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
Grammar question
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:36:40 PM »
Your instincts are good. The first example should have a comma where the semicolon is. The second should have a colon because it is introducing a list.
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Grammar question
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 08:38:28 PM »
I'd use a comma in the first and a dash or colon in the second (a comma might make it look like a list with four items in it, not three). Semicolons are right out. They have only two valid purposes (that I can think of, anyway): separating two sentences, and separating items in a list when those items have commas or other punctuation in them already. In the first use, the two sentences could be separated by a period, but the semicolon indicates a closer relationship. Usually, but not always, it could also be replaced with a comma and conjunction.

So yeah, you're right and you're professor's wrong.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline RRR

• View Profile
Grammar question
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 09:11:49 PM »
Thanks, guys.  :)  
I would like to be Michelle Pfeiffer to your angry black kid who learns that poetry is just another way to rap.

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
Grammar question
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 06:14:06 AM »
Also, "is comprised of" in the first sentence should be "is composed of." Just a little nitpick.  :whistling:  

Offline Farmgirl

• Out Standing in Her Field
    • View Profile
Grammar question
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 06:45:57 AM »
Yeah. What they said.  :D

I was always told a semi colon is only used where there is a complete sentence on both sides of it.  Neither or her examples are like that.

FG
"Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil and you’re a thousand miles from the corn field." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Being a farmer is not something that you do—it is something that you are.

If I could eat only one fruit, I wouldn't choose the blueberry. It is too small. I'd go with watermelon. There is a lot to eat on a watermelon. - Tante

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Grammar question
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 06:56:21 AM »
I love the semicolon; it is my favorite punctuation mark.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline Porter

• ruining funny with facts
  • Übermember
  • long time lurker, first time poster
    • View Profile
Grammar question
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 07:25:26 AM »
I never know how to use it correctly.
Tomorrow Poster
Sooner or later, this forum is going to max out on hyperliteralness.

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Grammar question
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 07:29:09 AM »
It has the advantage of being very optional; you can be perfectly literate and never use it.
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
Grammar question
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2007, 10:34:58 PM »
I love this thread.

And not just because Jonathon misused a homonym. ;)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Grammar question
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 08:16:47 AM »
:embarrassed:

Offline RRR

• View Profile
Grammar question
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 04:26:54 PM »
I have another grammar question. One of my professors proofread my independent study proposal, and she added commas to a sentence I don't think needs any commas in it. The original sentence is "In all groups aside from the right metacarpals ancestry had less chance of being accurately assigned than did sex." She added two commas, one after groups and one after metacarpals. I know that's wrong because "aside from the right metacarpals" has to be attached to "in all groups" in order for the sentence to be true. What I'm not sure about is whether there should be a comma after metacarpals. What do you guys think?

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
Grammar question
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 04:41:16 PM »
Can you give me some context? I'm almost positive there should be one after metacarpals, but the other one depends on what the sentence means.

Offline RRR

• View Profile
Grammar question
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 04:48:30 PM »
I'm analyzing several different studies conducted on whether the metacarpal bones of the hand can be used to accurately determine sex and ancestry. Here's the full paragraph:

In regard to determination of ancestry, Falsetti found that the 1st and 3rd metacarpals had significant differences in measurements attributed to ancestry though he did no further research into whether they could be used to determine ancestry. Smith found that hand bones could accurately classify ancestry with rates ranging from 77% for the right proximal phalanx to 97% using the right metacarpals. In all groups aside from the right metacarpals ancestry had less chance of being accurately assigned than did sex.

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Grammar question
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 04:54:36 PM »
I would definitely put one after "metacarpals." It helps mark the end of a long introductory phrase. Without it, I initially misread the sentence because I didn't know where that phrase ended and the subject began. The other one I'm really not sure on, but my feeling is that it's better off without a comma.

Offline RRR

• View Profile
Grammar question
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 05:03:06 PM »
I'll add a comma after metacarpals then. Thanks! :)  

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
Grammar question
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 05:17:35 PM »
You're welcome. :)

Offline Zalmoxis

• Chief Bloviator
    • View Profile
Grammar question
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 10:59:16 AM »
I would only use the initial comma if I was preparing a paper that was going to be read aloud AND I felt that when read the 'aside' clause needed to be read that way i.e. you needed a pause to be there.  Even then, the aside bit sounds better when attached to the prepositional phrase because what really needs to be emphasized is the word "ancestry."

In all groups aside from the right metacarpals [brief pause] ancestry had less

vs.

In all groups [brief pause] [slight voice modulation] aside from the right metacarpals [end modulation] [brief pause] ancestry had less

Of course, I might be inclined to use 'except for' rather than 'aside from' because it flows a bit better, imo.
Zwei Aufgaben des Lebensanfangs: Deinen Kreis immer mehr einschränken und immer wieder nachprüfen, ob du dich nicht irgendwo außerhalb deines Kreises versteckt hältst. (Kafka)