GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: Do you know what this means?  (Read 958 times)

Offline Brinestone

• Nerdkins
    • View Profile
Do you know what this means?
« on: March 10, 2006, 08:52:55 AM »
I'm totally stupid when it comes to all things money, so I need help.

This panel has two primary functions. The first is to forecast an interest amount and an APY. The second is to forecast interest and a rate given an APY.

Here's my question: Is the last sentence grammatically complete? Does it make sense? How do you give an APY a rate? And what's the difference between forecasting an interest amount (the first function) and forecasting interest (the second function)?
Ephemerality is not binary. -Porter

Offline Jonathon

• Evil T-Rex
  • Administrator
  • Übermember
  • This is the darkest timeline
    • View Profile
    • GalacticCactus
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 11:54:56 AM »
I really can't help you.
You underestimate my ability to take things seriously!

Offline rivka

• Linguistic Anarchist
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 01:18:49 PM »
APY = annual percent yield
That is, the yearly return on the investment.

I believe it is referring to a monthly interest amount, but that is a bit ambiguous.

If interest rates are being forecast, they must be based on something. Let's assume it's the prime rate, as that is what is most commonly used. (Unless they don't actually mean forecast, but that's a separate problem.)

I would add a "the" before "interest" in the second sentence. Assuming I am reading it correctly, it is saying that if you give it a required APY, it will tell you what the monthly interest is (I don't believe there IS any difference between "interest" and "interest amount" in the way they're using it) and what rate of interest would give you that return.

But Glynn is the person to ask this kind of stuff. I'm just making a (somewhat) educated guess. ;)
"Sometimes you need a weirdo to tell you that things have gotten weird. Your normal friends, neighbors, and coworkers won’t tell you."
-Aaron Kunin