GalacticCactus Forum

Author Topic: "Endorse" in medicine  (Read 344 times)

Offline pooka

• hover bear
  • Übermember
    • View Profile
"Endorse" in medicine
« on: May 31, 2024, 11:50:33 AM »
I ran into usage* of "endorses" that I wasn't familiar with, and when I went to look it up, found a whole new (to me)** one. 
For starters, there's report, which is what a patient describes without detailed prompting.  This is the first part of the interview usually, though in the second part, they sometimes bring in additional info that I might also describe as "reported". 
In the second part of the interview I start asking about diagnostic symptoms, and responses to these questions are more likely to be "endorsed" or "denied".  I was a nurse for a few years before I even adopted this usage after seeing it in physician documents.  I probably even posted somewhere here about it.
I was reading a psychology report today, which is a slightly different discipline, and they were using* the word "endorsed" to mean, best I could tell, what I would call demonstrated or evidenced. 
So I go online to try and learn more about this, and learn that some people **use it to say report was handed off to the subsequent shift.  This was on a nurse forum, and someone associated it with nurses from the Phillipines.  So it might be an ESL meets jargon issue?
"From each according to his ability, to each according to his work."  Comte de Saint-Simon

Offline Tante Shvester

• Souper Member
    • View Profile
    • About Tante
Re: "Endorse" in medicine
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 11:51:15 AM »
As a nurse, when I say "endorse" it means taking something that is my responsibility and making it someone else's  problem. 
Fighting thread drift with guilt, reverse psychology, and chicken soup.
Sweet! Law of Moses loopholes! -- Anneke
I love Bones.  -- Sweet Clementine
She grew on him like she was a colony of E. coli and he was room-temperature Canadian beef. -- anonymous